Galaxy Note 10.1: Can you connect to Internet via Bluetooth (Phone-to-Note)?

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Can you connect to internet via Bluetooth (Phone-to-Note)?

For some reason this thread just lost me...........so on that note (see what I did there).....which is better?
3G/Wifi Note 10.1?
Hotspot on phone from mobile carrier?
Foxfi connected via BT?

I have to admit, FoxFi worked for me once- after that, never worked again.
I have wifi 90% of the time but I also want to be able to use my tablet when wifi is not available.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

I am able to use Foxfi as Wifi not Bluetooth since my Nexus runs ICS so i always have a stable connection. I get wifi 100% of the time everytime/everywhere. If your phone runs ICS you can use the wifi function on Foxfi, if your phone doesn't you have to run the BT connection which from what I am hearing is hit and miss depending on your circumstances. So far no issues with mine.

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Yes if you have a data plan and use FoxFi it counts towards you Smartphone data plan. I am doing with my phone for my Nexus 7 no tethering fee required. As long as you don't go over your data plan your good.

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums

Zach, whoo hoo, writing this on my 10.1 while waiting for tires to be installed using FoxFi and Note phone!!! I'm lovin' it!

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

What an effing drag. Grrrrr. NStar (my local power company in Boston) has once again intererupted our service to "make improvements" since 2 a.m. They're saying I'll have it back again around 2 pm. I am using my SG3 hotspot.I may lie back and just watch a movie on my Note.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site

I am able to use Foxfi as Wifi not Bluetooth since my Nexus runs ICS so i always have a stable connection. I get wifi 100% of the time everytime/everywhere. If your phone runs ICS you can use the wifi function on Foxfi, if your phone doesn't you have to run the BT connection which from what I am hearing is hit and miss depending on your circumstances. So far no issues with mine.

My phone runs jelly bean. Maybe my question wasn't clear. FoxFi and JB don't seem to work. As far as using my phone to tether I guess the times its needed are few. I just don't like that in order to do that I have to make a choice. Having my phone as a phone or using it to tether since both can't be done simultaneously.

I'm trying to weigh my options on which is the better tablet to get. 3G or WiFi.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

My phone runs jelly bean. Maybe my question wasn't clear. FoxFi and JB don't seem to work. As far as using my phone to tether I guess the times its needed are few. I just don't like that in order to do that I have to make a choice. Having my phone as a phone or using it to tether since both can't be done simultaneously.

I'm trying to weigh my options on which is the better tablet to get. 3G or WiFi.

Scandal, the right answer depends on how much wifi is already available at your favorite places to be. I tend to eat out a lot, just about everyone has wifi around here. Plus I have wifi at work and home. So for me, there's very few times I'm without wifi when I'm dying to get on the tablet. You might want to check out FoxFi's website. There was some information on there about some things that are known not to work, and solutions for some of them. Hey, just noticed you're in Philly! I thought Philly was going to get wifi city wide, did that plan go poof?

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Well if your not really going to use the phone to tether that much and your main concern is you want to use the phone and tether too. It seems that it is not possible at this time although you can talk and use data now at the same time with the new phones on sprint? But if your going to be away from Wifi access and you do not want to loose phone function then the 3g/wifi would be the way to go or a portable hotspot for your carrier.

Choice 2 you may be able to forward your text and calls to your gtalk account then you can use your phone through your tablet. If this is possible.

kippypipe

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site

I installed Open Garden today, it works. Had trouble receiving email, but was able to view websites.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

Having my phone as a phone or using it to tether since both can't be done simultaneously.

That should not be the case - unless you're on a 3G data connection. In other words (and I'm assuming you're on Sprint, since that's what your little mini-Bio thing says), if your phone has a 4G LTE data connection, you should be able to use it fully as a phone and a WiFi hotspot simultaneously. But, unless your phone has SVDO (which most don't), if you have a 3G data connection, your WiFi hotspot will lose connection to the Internet any time you're actually talking on the phone. But, other than when you're on a voice call, you can still do everything else on your phone while you're also using it as a hotspot.

I have a Rezound on Verizon and I used to have a Thunderbolt, which worked the same. I run WiFi Tether (frequently!) to use my phone as a hotspot. I can do any/everything on my phone, whether it's acting as a hotspot or not. The Rezound, Thunderbolt, and, allegedly, Galaxy SIII, have SVDO. That means I can even talk on the phone, while my phone has a 3G data connection, and still have Internet access from my Note tablet or laptop or whatever I'm tethering with at the time.

---------- Post Merged at 06:18 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:15 AM ----------

ps. And as long as you have a 4G LTE connection, you should be able to tether and use your phone for voice calls simultaneously no matter what phone you have or what carrier you're on.

AFAIK, the ONLY phone that can't do 4G LTE data and voice simultaneously is the iPhone 5 on Verizon.

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

Well, we had a little power outage at my office this morning. I just got it back. Every dingy-dong thing was off. BUT...I had my SG3. And my Note was running and the mobile hotspot was on, so my devices were working fine. I am back on wifi, as usual, but,8it sure was nice to have that functionality when I unexpectedly needed it.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

I did my JB upgrade today on my Nexus. Found that the Portable Wifi app works on JB and finally took the plunge with the update. My go to Foxfi is unuseable but I at least have a backup now that works with my Galaxy Note with no problems.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

I did my JB upgrade today on my Nexus. Found that the Portable Wifi app works on JB and finally took the plunge with the update. My go to Foxfi is unuseable but I at least have a backup now that works with my Galaxy Note with no problems.
So with JB update there is a biuld in service just like FoxFi that you can connect to and use the Data off your Phone?
Was as trying but failed to connect everytime . Came to read up on it again and realized that i needed to use bluetooth ( kicked self) And woorked fine. Used PDA app on Tab and FoxFi on Phone. PDA says to use Foxfi for Wifi but didnt work either. So for now the Blue tooth is fine snd pretty fast for me too. I'm On Sprint.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

Im using the portable wifi app and have wifi hotspot. No bluetooth required or apps on both phone-tablet. Wifi is faster than BT

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 using Android Central Forums

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Im using the portable wifi app and have wifi hotspot. No bluetooth required or apps on both phone-tablet. Wifi is faster than BT

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 using Android Central Forums

lol I was thinking it was something in the JB update you did lol I have the Epic4Gtouch myself( Waiting for the NoteII) I'll download this to see if it works for me.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

No go :O(. It Wait for my next phone. I'll Use wifies GS3 when i need to. This note is suppose to be for her more anyway lol

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Yea Thats the one i got. Must be my phone smh can't wait till next month for my Note2. One the GS3 the same steps worked. Maybe I'll try the pda app to connect to see if that works.... NOPE... it tells me to install Foxfi. But on the app it says EpicTouch Coming soon

kt081801

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site

Got my Note last Wednesday and put the FoxFi to use over the weekend at a tradeshow in Dallas....it worked like a charm!! However, it wouldn't work at the Dallas airport (keeps saying I had to use PDA app & BT to connect), I didn't try to set it up, didn't need it badly nuff :)

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

hmmm. I have a Galaxy NEXUS using JB as of wednesday and it worked. Must be a phone thing. *shrugs* This is the app right here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kr.core.technology.wifi.hotspot&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImtyLmNvcmUudGVjaG5vbG9neS53aWZpLmhvdHNwb3QiXQ..

It must be because worked the first time VIA Bluetooth on the GS3.

Got my Note last Wednesday and put the FoxFi to use over the weekend at a tradeshow in Dallas....it worked like a charm!! However, it wouldn't work at the Dallas airport (keeps saying I had to use PDA app & BT to connect), I didn't try to set it up, didn't need it badly nuff :)

What phone do you have?
side note. Cute Baby

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

yeah im really sorry. dunno what to tell ya. Oh im on a 4G LTE VZW Nexus if that makes a difference or not, I dont know if it does.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude