An ant crawled inside my Note LCD screen

Scythe55

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Most likely through the audio jack. They are usually not... "closed", so to speak. I definitely a bummer. I hope they exchange it for you.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Use a real air compressor

Careful with that, too. "Real", but inexpensive air compressors generally do not have a filter/drier in the air line, so they will often blow some moisture out along with the air. And "real", serious, air compressors usually have a lubricator for the compressor motor that can blow a little oil residue out along with the air.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
yeah thats why I posted the pics on the last page of the opening. Samsung should come up with a dust plug or something. Just has to be rubber or something to create a seal. Looks like more than one person has had this issue.

eivahd86

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Wtf. Same thing happened to mine today. :'( :'( A white lice-ish, insect flat dead lying inside my Note screen. So very frustrating and annoying to see things like this happen. So what happened to yours, was it replaced or repaired? please reply. thanks.

Tavocr2013

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Well I just joined this club today morning. My Galaxy note 10.1 has an ant too, just like the picture above. Mine is bigger problem as I live outside the U.S. and the device was sent as a gift from that country, so I don't have Samsung Support in mine. I just gave it out to a friend who repairs computers along with this video I found about how to open it. Now I'm in his hands, and I rather sell or totally destroy it and buy a new one than conserve this with the ant from hell inside. :mad: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 N8010 Disassembly & Assembly - Touch & Display Screen Replacement - YouTube

cybeo

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for posting this thread. :)
Definitely a design flaw. My audio jack now has a pink silicone rubber stopper.
One can chop up an eraser and achieve the same results.

This is a bit like the flaw for the Wacom Cintiq which has three large holes in the casing that are hidden by a panel. They're so big that one day a 2cm long stink beetle crawled in and was making a crackly sound until I removed the back casing to see what the problem was.

mark buckton

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Just bought a Samsung galaxy note 10.1 , it's less then a week old and I have an ant running around in it too. ( Now dead) After reading these post I'm starting to think its a fault on Samsung's behalf. There is a video on YouTube of the and stuck. If the gaps in this thing are big enough to let an ant crawl in, then get between the screen and glass , who knows what else will accumulate in there over time.

ishore99

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Take it back to where you purchased it and tell them you only paid for the tablet, not the company it came with. Then tell them you want a new one.

pinoynote

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
This can be removed by any technician who can disassemble the 10.1 Note. The ant is not on the LCD screen or Digitizer (the digitizer and the screen is too tightly fix. The ant is just between the LCD screen and the Display Panel so it can be easily remove. Hope this will help.:)

KennyTSV

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I am on this thread now due to googling the same issue. I saw an ant that was dead and flat underneath the screen protector, and figured that there's no way that an ant could get between the screen protector film and glass, so knew it must have gotten inside my samsung note 10.1 through a hole - somewhere. This is a real hassle. Pretty sure I can disassemble this tablet to get the ant out, but a real pain in the neck that's for sure.
20140602_094815.jpg

KennyTSV

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Wow, it's amazing to me that this is not an isolated incident!

Sure is! Once I get the ant out, I will definitely get some non-marking 'painters tape', or non-marking 'kapton tape' to cover over the head-phone socket. That should stop repeat incidents in the future. I'm currently watching a youtube video for disassembly of the 10.1. The procedure doesn't appear to be too difficult, but definitely time-consuming and tedious. But utmost care will be needed with disconnecting connectors - as I believe that inexperience and haste could lead to damaged connectors and wires etc.

==

Update: I disassembled my 8010 tablet today. It really is necessary to pry things open carefully, and don't rush, otherwise it's possible to break tabs. Also important to follow the video instructions (on youtube) carefully. One surprising thing was that the final step of disassembly - for separating the front glass from the LCD panel - involved using a screw-driver to rip out internal plastic stubs, which seemed odd to me. But I confirm that it's absolutely necessary to do it. But the nice thing is that it won't compromise the performance or structural integrity of the tablet. I got the ant out, and needed to use alcohol-based commercial eye-glass micro-fibre cloths to wipe the imprint/marks from the ant off the inner part of the glass, and the LCD screen. After re-assembly, I noticed 1 speck of dust/dirt under the glass, which left a dark 'dot'.

Update #2 : I disassembled again, and wiped off the speck of dirt from the inner front glass that I had overlooked earlier. Actually, I used micro-fibre cloths to meticulously wipe both the inner glass and the LCD panel surfaces, and blew air lightly over the surfaces before re-assembly. And this time, I powered up the tablet before putting the back cover on. This was to check the lit-up LCD display for any dust particles between the glass and LCD. Everything is nice again. And now I have kapton tape covering the audio-socket, and also covering some even smaller hole - could be microphone hole?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12