Tethering Options

mirrorr

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to make an informed decision on a tethering app that will tether my razr Maxx phone to my Note 10 which is wifi only.

Assuming that I purchase the full tetherting app so i have full access and Im looking at NO ROOT tether which poss 3 apps have you used and what are the PROs and CONS.

poss apps are Clockworkmod, no root
Easy tether
Foxfi no root
I'd like to hear from people that have used 2 or all of those and whick one worked well and WHY?

Thanks for your time.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I had to install Foxfi to tether my HP TouchPad to my SGS3 this morning. I am rooted so the built-in tether doesn't work. I think there's an actual workaround for it but I didn't have time to search it up. I had already heard of Foxfi, so I just downloaded it. It works. Good enough for me. Supposedly there's some sort of data limit on the free version, but I don't know what that limit is.

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Foxfi for your phone and Pdanet(tablet) for your Note. No root required. You can then connect through wifi but I use the bluetooth connection instead because it uses less battery.

Scooter04

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I installed foxfi and have not looked any further. I use the WiFi connection. I hit the icon on my phone, check the wifi box, phone starts hot spot, open settings in tablet and hit scan, finds it instantly, and I hit connect. It connects to the phone and when I'm done, uncheck the WiFi box on my phone and tablet takes care of itself. Tablet will also finds the phone automatically, but I don't think it constantly scans, so I usually tell it to scan. I really don't notice a difference in speed, my phone is a 4g connection with unlimited data plan. Don't know how the various tethering apps effect phone data plans.

Edit: I didn't install anything on tablet, only foxfi on phone.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I use Foxfi on my GS lll and Pdanet on my GN Tablet and it works. I'm unrooted. I just flashed the German Jelly Bean to my GN Tablet the other night, so haven't tested it since I did that. Hoping it still works.

HeyBeerManTX

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I previously could connect using FoxFi on my Sprint GSIII 4.0.4 using bluetooth only, but ever since updating to 4.1.1, I can't connect at all.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, Scooter04. I tried your way without using PDAnet on my GN, just Foxfi on my phone, and it worked. My GN connected right away on the German jelly bean firmware.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Android Central Forums

mirrorr

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
please excuse my confusion, but why are some using only Foxfi and some are using Foxfi and PDAnet on tablet?? If i need to use both, please tell me in detail how I go about connecting. Thank you so much for the replies.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
When I first did it, I was told to use both Foxfi on phone and then PDAnet on my GN Tablet. I just tried Scooter04's way, just turning on Foxfi on my phone and then going into Settings on your galaxy note tablet, you should see a network pop up saying Foxfi with a number next to it. The GN should just pick up the Foxfi Network from your phone and say connected. If it doesn't try to scan for it at the top of the WiFI window on the right in Settings. I didn't have to open up my PDAnet app like I did when I tried it before. Let us know if that works for you.

J Teezy

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
please excuse my confusion, but why are some using only Foxfi and some are using Foxfi and PDAnet on tablet?? If i need to use both, please tell me in detail how I go about connecting. Thank you so much for the replies.

Works either way for me using a galaxy s3 and note 10.1

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Same here, my gs lll is Verizon also. No problem tethering with my GN either way.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton