spen "ignore all other inputs" option?

bryan_cfii

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
In bestbuy just recently, I saw a setting on the display model where you could ignore all other inputs other than the spen. Now that I have one, it immediately updated to 4.1.2 (if that even matters) and it pretty much ignores palm/finger input on the page in snote, but touch the side scroll bars with your palm and who knows what will happen (lots of zooming and page movement). I can't find that "ignore all other inputs" option anywhere on my Note 10.1. I have the finger with the crossed out circle chosen and like I said, on the page it's fine but the scroll bars or the notifications do not ignore my palm. The floor model I used wouldn't take finger input while it's spen was out. I'm wondering what I'm not doing right. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

notepolka

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes, but the problem is that when we write, the hand rests at the bottom of the page and always presses the notifications or scrollbars inadvertently. It is very annoying, and in fact makes all handwriting programs almost unusable in my opinion. If I can't find a solution, I will be sending my Note 10 back. It's just poorly thought out. Did they not have anyone test the UI?
Anyone have a solution?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
My solution is to keep my writing in the middle of the page. As soon as i start a note, I keep my blank space situated in the middle. Keeps my fat hand away from any inadvertent screen selections. I'm sure there's other solutions, but that works perfectly for me. I wouldn't send it back until you've exhausted all other avenues.

notepolka

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't see that working for me. I want to write on the whole page :)

My thought now is that I can root the device, then install an app to hide the status bar when I don't want it. (Or move it to the top out of the way instead of at the bottom?) Then find another program besides S-Note to eliminate the palm scrolling nonsense. Lecture Notes looks good and even has an option to hide status bar when rooted.

Only problem is that this leads me (a newbie) down another time-consuming rabbit hole of further tweaking the device...

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't see that working for me. I want to write on the whole page :)

My thought now is that I can root the device, then install an app to hide the status bar when I don't want it. (Or move it to the top out of the way instead of at the bottom?) Then find another program besides S-Note to eliminate the palm scrolling nonsense. Lecture Notes looks good and even has an option to hide status bar when rooted.

Only problem is that this leads me (a newbie) down another time-consuming rabbit hole of further tweaking the device...

You ARE writing on the whole page. You just scroll as you go so that the next portion of blank space is middle of the screen. Not to be rude, but there's a bunch of simple fixes that don't require traveling down "rabbit holes". The problem with a device like this, is there'd be no way for them to build it so that everyone was happy. There needs to be access to the toolbars for some, so those of us who don't need it while writing, have to adapt or go with something else. This is a great device so adapting is preferable for me.

Ember61

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
If you keep the tip of the s-pen close to the screen your hand will not have an effect on the scroll... As soon as the screen does not sense the pen it will respond to touch....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums