Snote: So many ways to take Notes!!

tercbm

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I love the snote feature but it seems to put text in into text boxes and the boxes are not designed to be in a useful format. Especialy when using the
Handwriting to text feature. Is there a way to configure differently up front vs. as you are writting?
Also how do you import pdf..?

ilgal

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I am a teacher and I have to say that I LOVE these videos showing how you, as a student, use this device for class. Outstanding. Thanks for sharing your student-eye-view!

ilgal

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Follow the video above to Terran's YouTube channel - she has posted a video on how to bring in the PDF files.

When writing, if you choose the icon with the Big T (instead of the small T in the box) you can free-form write in a notes panel and the Note will convert to text (in S Note). To keep your handwriting as handwriting, use the pen tool. Open S Note, choose the Options (the three horizontal lines in the upper right corner) and view the tutorials. Lots of good stuff in there.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I love S Note as well, but for the life of me I can't get a handle on all of the features that it offers. I can't figure out how to place the cursor when it's blinking and ready to type. If I can get it to place once where I want it, the next time it appears it will go over the top of some line instead of on the line like I want it to. I can't write really clean looking notes because the tablet is so much smarter than I am and it doesn't seem to know where to start or end the writing whether I use "Handwriting to text" or the keyboard. I usually just have to use the handwriting for everything so I can put stuff exactly where I want and need it.

ilgal

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
You should be able to tap on the screen (in the "paper" part, not the writing panel) to reposition the cursor. Then start writing again down in the panel at the bottom.

ilgal

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Here's how I used my Note for notes today.

I sat in on a webinar today. I had already loaded up the PDF files for the meeting into my Note (the S Note application) so I was ready to take notes while listening/watching the webinar on my PC. Before the meeting started, I added a new, blank page for additional notes at the end of the existing PDF

Once the webinar started, the presenters popped up some PowerPoint slides that were helpful. I used the Insert Image icon > Take picture and took a quick photo of the slide that was displayed on my PC screen. I then dragged it on to a blank page in the PDF file I was working on and wrote notes around it.

LOVE this device!!!

milessthomas

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi Terran,

I also use my note 10.1 in class to write on top of my professor's powerpoints. Typically my professor doesn't upload the powerpoint until 15-20 minutes before class, so I usually have to download it before class and open it with polaris office and export it as a pdf to bring it in to S Note.

Have you (or anyone else) found a method or an app that gives you more control over the format you print-to-PDF from Powerpoint from the Note 10.1?

I don't know if you get your powerpoint slides sent to you already as a PDF, or if you convert them yourself. When I export the powerpoint from Polaris Office to PDF, it automatically puts each slide on an individual 8.5" x 11" page centered in the middle of the blank page. I'd like to be able to either print multiple slides per page, or have them print on horizontal pages so there is less wasted space. I wouldn't mind spending money on a better office app if it gives better functionality like this.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide!!

ilgal

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
In the PowerPoint print options, you can change the "Print What" indicator to read "Handouts" and then choose how many per page, before saving as PDF. Perhaps there is a similar feature in Polaris Office?

Edit: I could not find such a feature in PO. However, you CAN open the PowerPoint in PO, then run Slide Show. When in Slide Show mode, you can switch to Pen Annotation and write on the slides, then convert them to PDF after the fact. Not sure if that solves your problem of many pages, but the screens are much bigger (more room to write and easier to see the slide content) than the 3-to-a-page notes view from PPT.

Another option - I used to post the slides for my students until someone asked if I could post them in PDF format instead. I was happy to do that - maybe your teachers would be approachable?

Hi Terran,

I also use my note 10.1 in class to write on top of my professor's powerpoints. Typically my professor doesn't upload the powerpoint until 15-20 minutes before class, so I usually have to download it before class and open it with polaris office and export it as a pdf to bring it in to S Note.

Have you (or anyone else) found a method or an app that gives you more control over the format you print-to-PDF from Powerpoint from the Note 10.1?

I don't know if you get your powerpoint slides sent to you already as a PDF, or if you convert them yourself. When I export the powerpoint from Polaris Office to PDF, it automatically puts each slide on an individual 8.5" x 11" page centered in the middle of the blank page. I'd like to be able to either print multiple slides per page, or have them print on horizontal pages so there is less wasted space. I wouldn't mind spending money on a better office app if it gives better functionality like this.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide!!

milessthomas

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice ilgal! I will definitely ask my professor if he would be willing to do PDF's instead. Unfortunately I don't have access to the windows or os x version of powerpoint before class to convert to the slides to 'handouts' myself.

While I do kind of enjoy the extra white space of the polaris office pdf export when writing in portrait mode, it is more convenient for my desk size in class to have the tab propped in the case in landscape mode. I'd like to at least do one full size slide export without white space, or do 4-6 slides per page to write on in S-Note.

I would advise though that others not do as you suggested with the pen annotation in Polaris Office. It's a great idea in theory, but unfortunately in my case powerpoints longer than 25-30 slides crash Polaris Office when using the annotation mode. Also, it seems that Polaris Office's pen tool makes fairly jagged lines compared to S-Note, and adding text boxes/inserting images onto existing slides are not as smoothly readjusted as in S-Note. S-Note is definitely the app I want to take my notes in, but I will just have to keep searching for a better powerpoint-to-PDF method unless my professor will upload them for me in that format.

I'm thinking of trying out OfficeSuite Pro 7, and if it provides more options for me I will post my results here!

lucasbuck

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying out some of the note apps, I'm a teacher. So there's not much difference between s-memo and s-note other than more options? I was playing around with Papyrus. Is that the only one that can save to dropbox? That would be more handy for between home and work.

ilgal

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
You can save S note documents in PDF or JPG format out to dropbox or other cloud-based storage.

Open the document.
Click options (3 lines in upper right corner)
Choose Share Via
Select the pages to share
Click Done
Choose Output type (JPG, PDF, SNB [native Note file] or Text Only
At this point, you are directed where to save - Dropbox and other options become available, depending on what is installed on your Note.

Hope this helps!
I've been trying out some of the note apps, I'm a teacher. So there's not much difference between s-memo and s-note other than more options? I was playing around with Papyrus. Is that the only one that can save to dropbox? That would be more handy for between home and work.

lucasbuck

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I want something where I can: draw, hand write, hand write with conversion to text (sometimes, if I want), and that can save to someplace central (dropbox, evernote, anything where I can access it anywhere). From all the reading I've been doing, nothing does all that. Or, correct me if I'm wrong so I quit sifting through info!

ilgal

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
When you send the document to Dropbox (or Evernote, or other), in what format do you need it to be?

If PDF is OK, then S Note can do everything you describe.

I want something where I can: draw, hand write, hand write with conversion to text (sometimes, if I want), and that can save to someplace central (dropbox, evernote, anything where I can access it anywhere). From all the reading I've been doing, nothing does all that. Or, correct me if I'm wrong so I quit sifting through info!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey