Do you experience this as well? - S-Pen Issue

rick1574

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone. I just purchased my GN 10.1 on Sunday, and after four days of taking notes for my classes, I'm noticing that the S-Pen might not be as accurate as I thought (or I have a defective unit).

On occasion, when I'm lifting my pen off the screen to finish writing a letter, a small tail will shoot out the end. At first I thought it was my case - I had read that the magnet on the back of the Samsung case can throw off the S-Pen, but even with the case off the device I'm still getting these "tails" on some of my letters.

I've attached a screen shot to show what I'm talking about - see yellow highlights. It doesn't matter if I'm writing quickly or slowly, and it's not limited to just the S-Note app. I'm also having the same problem when taking notes on my textbook in the Kno application. I usually write small, so these tails can get annoying, especially in class when I need to quickly erase or undo the tail and pick up where I left off.

Is this someone wrong with my device or just a normal issue with the S-Pen?

I'd greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Rick

Attachments

• Idea note_20130207_102244_01.jpg
    Idea note_20130207_102244_01.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Idea note_20130207_102244_02.jpg
    Idea note_20130207_102244_02.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I noticed the same thing when i draw in the game draw something. When i trace something or just finish a line i always get a tail like you mentioned when u pick my pen up off the screen. I thought it was just the way i was lifting the pen up or just me. I tried slowing down when picking it up, but can't remember if that helped or not. I always have to go back and erase as you said. Glad you posted this. I'll try and see if i can attache some screenshots when it happens again. I do draw and write fast, so may not always totally lift pen up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

coryteague

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
You can try tightening the sensor under the button. You can search the galaxy note 2 forums for a walk through. I had this issue on my note 2 and it helped.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

rick1574

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
You can try tightening the sensor under the button. You can search the galaxy note 2 forums for a walk through. I had this issue on my note 2 and it helped.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

I just tried that...even with it on low sensitivity, it still did the same thing.

I'm going to exchange my tablet tonight. Hopefully I just have a defective unit. I would still appreciate anyone else sharing if they have a similar issue.

G3TCASHM0N3Y

May 17, 2012
Visit site
So I have gone through two tablets. I have a couple solutions. First, use lecture notes and go to input settings and set up the filter. Second, give the pen a good smack on a table. Yes, it sounds crazy but it actually helps. Let me know what you think.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk HD

Stump3r

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had this issue as well but seems to come and go. Interesting will have to try a few of these tricks.

rick1574

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I exchanged my tablet for a new one a few days ago. I'm still having the same problem but my error rate is lower. I think the way I write contributes to the problem.

I'll try the pen smack at my next class and see that helps.

I love this tablet so I think I can adjust to the pen issue. I might try picking up a different stylus to see if it makes a significant difference.

G3TCASHM0N3Y

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I exchanged my tablet for a new one a few days ago. I'm still having the same problem but my error rate is lower. I think the way I write contributes to the problem.

I'll try the pen smack at my next class and see that helps.

I love this tablet so I think I can adjust to the pen issue. I might try picking up a different stylus to see if it makes a significant difference.

That's been my exact same feeling.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Aes28

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Also having this issue and I think it is because of the slight "spring" the stylus has in it. I'm not talking
about a literal spring but the amount of give on the nib when pressing straight down with it.

Anyways, I'd love to know if a new NON-S-Pen does the same thing, so please remember
to get back to us!

Scooter04

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
The magnet on my case was messing with some sort of sensor that tells the tablet if the pen is plugged in or pulled out. So the pen would either work or not work. Actually I noticed the pen itself is attracted to the magnets in the edge of the case. But I believe that is a separate issue from the tail your getting. Its only when the magnet in the case is located near the slot where the pen is plugged in that I ever had a problem, and I can recreate the issue by folding my case a certain way. I like my case so I just dont fold it that way when I use the pen.

I get the tail as well sometimes and assumed it was my writing style. It doesnt happen all the time, and hasn't been a problem but more of an annoyance. It also happens when my tablet is removed from the case. Love my tablet, so I guess I just over look the issue. Will try some of the things mentioned and would be curious how another styles works.

rick1574

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I haven't decided on a replacement stylus yet but I'll let you guys know how it goes.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't decided on a replacement stylus yet but I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12