Converting S Notes to Word (or text)?

Wild Bill 1

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone have any ideas on how to convert a Galaxy S Note to a Microsoft Word (or text) document? (Read through the forum and saw the question but it looks like the answer is .pdf or .jpg. No other real options that I could tell.)

I recently picked up a Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet. Quite cool! However, as a project manager that takes about 100 pages of notes every couple of weeks, my 'one' big ask is to be able to convert S Notes into Word or at least a text file that I can upload and edit in Word.

In trying to find a workable solution, I played around with Polaris Office which is nice. With Polaris I can create Word, Excel and PowerPoint files, however unless I missed it, Polaris has not incorporated hand writing recognition into their suite of apps. As I am trying to avoid typing during meeting which I find distracts me from listening, another dead end.

Again, while I love the device, simply put without this one key function, it is really of no meaningful use to me. Hence, I am hoping someone has figured out how to work around this significant Galaxy S Note shortfall. And no, I have no intention of buying Adobe Acrobat Writer so I can edit S Notes. (As some Adobe files are locked I am not sure even if I had Adobe Acrobat Writer I would be able to edit an S Note.) Ideas? Would love to keep the device because it is quite cool. However, without the ability to convert S Notes to Word, there is little or no benefit to me. :'(

ilgal

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I just tried this out and it worked fine for me on my US Gnote 10.1 running Jelly Bean.

It was a bit of a process, but it is doable.

Open the Word processor in Polaris Office.
Tap the screen to bring up the keyboard.
To the left of the spacebar is the button to switch between inputs. When I first opened P O it was a microphone.
Long press on that mic to bring up a pop-up of input options. You need the one that looks like a T with a pencil on it.
This opens the handwriting panel. Tap in that panel and Write. Your writing will be transcribed in the document panel above.
When you are done, click the options (3 lines in upper right corner) and choose Save as...
Name your document and direct it to a file location on your sdCard (or external - you have a choice)
(This is where I got stuck...) I wanted to save the doc right into Dropbox, or Box, or Skydrive, anyplace where I could get it out to the web, but I couldn't find the right folder in the sdcard folder structure (if you had ideas on this - please let me know).
Anyway...I did a Save As to the Downloads folder
I then navigated to the Downloads folder and did a long-press on the file I created, which then gave me the option to Share...and I chose Dropbox.
(Phew...stay with me here).
On my PC, I then opened my Dropbox folder and dragged the file out onto my PC desktop and opened it in Word. It opened right up and I was able to edit.

The process took longer to type than it did to do. If I could figure out how to get the file directly out of polaris office and into dropbox it would greatly expedite the process.

Had not thought of doing this, so thanks for the idea. Hope it helps you make a decision about keeping this awesome device.

Terran White

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
If you use handwriting to text recognition or the handwriting keyboard in an snote then you can export or share the snote as TEXT only. Copy and paste the text to a word document and you are finished. :)

Wild Bill 1

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Wow! ilgal - Your suggestion works perfectly! Thank you for rescuing my Galaxy from a trip back to the store. :) Thank you so much for helping! I would have never found the Polaris Office Galaxy pen configuration on my own.

ilgal

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Glad to help. That set of icons appears pretty much everywhere you can input text in your Note - S Note, email, Facebook, etc. Pretty remarkable.

Wild Bill 1

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, Terran!

Late last night I verified that I am running Jelly Bean Version 4.1.2. Also used Samsung's Kies to verify that my tablet is up to date. So I guess I am still not sure why I do not see a save as 'Text' option in S Note. Neverthelss as 'ilgal' gave me a Polaris Office work around, I am not sure I would use S Note. Neverthelss, as I often pursue these things to the end rather than just giving up, any additional insights you may have are appreciated in advance.

Last edited:

AyekaMark

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
As long as your S Note has been saved as text (either by handwriting recognition or by entering text via the keyboard) you may SHARE it, (access by lower left menu button) and send it via e-mail using the TEXT option to your desktop accessible e-mail, then copy and paste the text from the e-mail into whatever document you desire. If you try to EXPORT the S Note, you only have an option for PDF or JPG formats.

Wild Bill 1

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
AyekaMark -- Thank You! Found "Share via" at top of menu then selected "Text only". Can you clarify what you mean by "lower left"?

As a note, overall working directly in Polaris Office seems to have met my need in general. It creates MS Word file formatted documents. One less step for me on the other side. Again, Thank You so much!

Terran White

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
*Blush* I meant Share Via not export. My bad. I never really use the export feature, because it exports to a folder in your internal SD card. I apologize for my mistake. Thank you AyekaMark.
I will make sure to double check next time. :-[

Wild Bill 1

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Terran - No worries. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the help this forum has provided to me. While I am fairly technical I am new to tablet computing. Hence, I have been trying to figure out a lot of things fairly quickly. Again, thank you!

sun-eye

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Dude, I had the same problem as you. I installed Microsoft OneNote and I have never turned back. The good thing is that, you can access it via the Internet through OneNote.com. You can also record voice annotations, write, type, and insert documents. I also created a checklist of some of the projects that I created by clicking their checklist button. What it does is create a boxes next to each line, then gives the user the ability to check it off. It is really a powerful tool. Finally, because it's from Microsoft, it works perfectly with the Microsoft Office suite which contains Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, etc. Good luck!