Move from SGN 10.1 to Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13.3?

Simplifly

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Considering an upgrade to Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13.3 and looking for your thoughts

Everything about the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 is wonderful except SCREEN SIZE for my tired eyes. These two products are in different catagories and the Yoga is twice the price of the Note :-$, plus the operating systems are obviously different (Android fans be kind :cool:). The Yoga is a full on MS 8 ultrabook-laptop-tablet with keyboard, mouse pad and touch screen. It does it all; albeit larger, heavier and less mobile (relies on WiFi).

Here's an unvailing video:
Lenovo Unboxed: IdeaPad Yoga - YouTube

If I go through with this, the one thing I know I will miss is S-Note, but maybe there is something similar for the Yoga?

What are your thoughts? Pros and cons? S-Note equivalent? What is a 10-Finger touch screen?

Thanks for your input all. :D

Terran White

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I have used someones yoga laptop, and I was not very impressed. It was heavy and having the keyboard fully exposed felt weird. I really want a touchscreen laptop in the future but I am going to wait for the second generation touchscreen laptops to come out. I think the ultra book convertable by dell is really nice.

rkeenan

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I love my Windows 8 laptop but I am not sold on the Yoga. I would recommend the Surface RT or Pro but I am sure you will have the same eyestrain issues.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I played with the Yoga at Best buy and Agree, it's heavy compared to the GN. I didn't like it too much. You have to get what works for you though.

Simplifly

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have used someones yoga laptop, and I was not very impressed. It was heavy and having the keyboard fully exposed felt weird. I really want a touchscreen laptop in the future but I am going to wait for the second generation touchscreen laptops to come out. I think the ultra book convertable by dell is really nice.

I was a loyal Dell customer for many years in the late 1980's through early 2000's. There 12.5" ultra book convertible does look interesting. In pictures the screen frame appears flimsy, but that may not actually be the case. I will have to see that one in person. Specs look good.

One thing I always liked about Dell was that you can order your computer as a small business unit completely "bloat free", just the operating system and software you select. The first Dell business desktop I ordered with simply a MS OS and nothing else was awesome. Cost me $5K back in the day (ouch!). I wonder if you can order a bloat free Dell XPS 12 Convertible?

Simplifly

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Oh the frustration with clueless Best Buy employees...

Went to BB against my better judgement (where else can you touch and fell technology?) to see the Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 13 and Dell XPS 12. Asked the clipboard jockey if they have the XPS. He says no and shows me a couple Dell laptops and says these are the only Dell's we have. So I asked him about the Yoga. He says we do have those and proceeds to wonder aimlessly around unable to find them...

So I just start looking through all their laptops and tablets to see if anything catches my eye; nothing did. As I start walking out I see something interesting sitting on a white shelf on the end of an isle with no visible price or advertisement, but it does say Dell on the cover. I open it up and sure enough it is a Dell XPS 12!

The clipboard jockey is still wondering aimlessly looking for the Yoga that he said they have, but it turned out they did not. I call him over and show him what I found, while I look at him with discust. Will BB ever get employees that know what they are doing???

Anyway, the screen looked great and the frame appeared sturdy enough to last. Very nice product!

This morning I got on a chat with Dell to see if:

1) It can be ordered with the Windows Operating System ONLY (no bloatware) - NOPE, NOT THIS MODEL (Although I think that should be confirmed with a business system ordering rep)
2) If it can be ordered with a SIM card slot for mobile data connection - NOPE, NO MOBILE CONNECTION AVAILABLE, JUST WIFI.
3) If you can take notes on the touch screen - NOT SURE ABOUT THAT, THE ANSWER SAID SOMETHING ABOUT SETTING IT UP FOR THAT???

I think Dell's chat-rat was a Best Buy graduate. Lol... Probably will get much better answers from a direct phone call.

I now agree with you Terran, the Dell XPS 12 is nicer than the Yoga (viewed a Yoga over X-mas last year), but the price keeps going up. The Dell XPS 12 starts at $1,199!

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey, I agree with you about the Best Buy idiots. They don't have a clue most of the time I'm in there. I do my research before I go in to look at a product there. Most of the time, they are clueless. With so many people out of work, it amazes me that these are the bottom of the barrel people who get the jobs!

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't get it. Isn't this an apple/oranges question? The Note 10.1 is an Android tablet; the Yoga is a Windows 8 notebook. I have an Asus Vivobook, the Win 8 11.6 touchscreen notebook; I use it differently than my Note. It's ultra-portable, but the screen doesn't flip around like the Yoga, which would be great to have, but (for me) not as a substitute for my Note.

Simplifly

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes, your are right Barskin. Not trying to do a direct comparison, but an "upgrade" to a BIGGER SCREEN with similar/more functionality. The Dell XPS 12 seems to be the closest to what I'd like my upgrade to be, but would probably prefer an even bigger 13"-14" screen. The XPS 12.5" might get me where I want to be at a huge price...

Does anyone know if you can take notes on the XPS screen with some type of software similar to S-Note?

PS: I may keep my Note N8000 for a fully mobile 10.1" mobile Navigation/Internet/Camera/Phone/Music/Etc... device mounted in my older 4x4 like a modern day large screen Navigation. :D

Simplifly

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Found another one with a larger screen and full operating system, the HP Envy x2. It's similar to an Asus Transformer, but larger. Screen removes from the keyboard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22