Note 10.1 out of box needs

contrive

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I've just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet and don't have a clue as to what I need to get started. What will it come with, when it arrives? What surprises await? will I have a charger, cover, screen protector, head phones, et al. So, I beg your patience and turn to you rather than just waiting for the big surprise. Is there any software you think would improve my first experience with what may be a cruel suitor? Here's the tech ****. I'm connecting via in home wireless router. It works fine for my remote PC and Kindle. I'm hoping to connect to Amazon.com to watch free video which is offered when you pay for their Prime account. Is that going to be a pain? Can I use this thing as a phone. Currently we have no cell phone account, just the internet through Grandecom.net.If it matters, I'm located in Texas. Well, that's my first post and I'll admit to being more than a bit worried that the forum administrator will have at me for lots of things like too many issues and too much prattle. T he truth is I wanted to post just to make sure I could. Thanks!

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
First off, welcome to the forums!

The unit includes the power supply and an S-Pen, which is basically a stylus used to interact with the tablet. Useful for many different things and one of the main selling points of the Note series.

Android runs on both smartphones and tablet computers. While these devices are VERY similar (and mostly run all the same software) a tablet is not a phone (and a smartphone is not a tablet). There are communication methods available to you such as Skype and other tools but it is definitely not the same as a smartphone. You can watch Amazon Instant Video but for some reason Amazon has not released an app that is supported by a variety of platforms (It's on Google TV only AFAIK) so it is kind of annoying as you will have to navigate there in your browser and watch that way.

You'll most likely have no issues connecting the device to your home network. Tablets are made for wifi. There aren't any specific tweeks or apps you will need out of the box. Android is pretty stable and the Note is a very good machine. Once you have been using the tablet for awhile and get a feel for what kinds of things you want to use it for then we might be able to suggest some worthwhile apps to you. The Google Play store has categories for top apps, editor's choice apps, and other lists of recommended apps so it is pretty easy to find good software.

BTW I know you are already committed by having paid for the device but have you considered looking at the Kindle Fire HD? I am not a big fan of the Kindle Fire myself but it sounds like you already use Amazon for quite a lot of things and the Kindle Fire handles all of that perfectly.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
My biggest concern is screen protection. I started with Zagg and due to bad interaction with the Spen, went with Spigen. Big difference in Spen operation. The Spigen though never wanted to stay on and came off the screen 4 days ago.

Uncomfortable with no protection, a bit of looking around and asking people with the same device, back to Zagg and still the same awful performance with the Spen.

Operation with a Bluetooth moose & keyboard is excellent.

Sent from my Sprint Note 2 via Tapatalk.

ilgal

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm running without a screen protector and doing fine, but I DO have a cover on it (that covers the glass when not in use). It makes the tablet much easier to grip and provides protection while I take it out of the house. Do a search through this forum and you'll find threads asking about covers, with lots of links.

I do not think it came with headphones/earbuds. If you visit Amazon and search for the model you bought, there is a "what's in the box" reference that will tell you if it comes with headphones.

Mycopsycho

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Read the fine print for Amazon Prime. I think you'll find that free movies and ebook rentals are only available for Amazon-branded devices. I have Prime and when I look for free movies or ebooks on my Galaxy Tab they are blocked for me. They are only available for my old Kindle e-reader. Good advice from previous poster to look at a Kindle Fire HD if these things are important.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Android Central Forums

contrive

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't surprise me to hear the negs on Amazon. Seems like they could be a bit more cooperative when selling a product like Prime. It isn't cheap and should be available to all subscribed users at all their download points. I'll speak to their support staff. Streaming would be very important to me, as I am usually bedridden and didn't buy Prime for the free shipping alone.Of course I've only signed up for the free account and could cancel before it goes into effect. That may carry some weight.

contrive

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I really appreciate your reply. It helps to know what to expect as I'm not patient. I looked at the Fire and wanted a bit more viewing area. Old eyes, you know.
As for the phone info, thank you. I was wondering if there is a way to use the Internet as a way to "phone", whether Skype or something else. I remember some years ago when people were talking about using their computers as their phone service. It may have been back when dial up was popular. My computer still has a modem. Does the Note have one?
Again, I thank you profusely for easing my concerns regarding my immediate need for accessories out of the box.

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Traditional dial-up modems where you connect the computer to a phone line are largely a thing of the past, especially with new tech. Tablets generally connect to the internet using broadband wireless cards or mobile broadband. This means that they can connect to the internet by interfacing with a wireless router or accessing a cellular network (for 3G, 4G data etc). Mobile broadband typically adds substantially to the cost of the tablet and also requires a subscription data service (prohibitively expensive IMO but necessary for many in the business world) I do not know of any tablet that would take a physical connection (ie a phone cord or an ethernet cable) though I suppose it is possible that someone, somewhere, might build one. The major commercial devices do not have these kinds of features however.

There are a lot of different internet telephone solutions. The easiest system is probably Skype. There are apps for that on your phone and Skype does sell telephone numbers as a subscription type service so that people can call you on a telephone and it will ring your Skype number. I don't actually use this myself and only experimented with it for a little bit years ago, so I can't post exactly what you would need to do to get that working unfortunately. But if you are really interested in getting it to work on your tablet, it can be done. I used to have mine set up so I could receive calls on a Playstation Portable. Unfortunately this does require a connection to the internet (wifi or mobile broadband) to function so if your tablet only has wifi internet access, it is of very limited use.

If the Kindle Fire HD does not interest you and you are not locked into using Amazon for media content, there are other services that might interest you. Both Netflix and Hulu have relatively cheap monthly subscriptions and both have apps that you could use on the Galaxy Note 10.1. Netflix tends to have a lot of older stuff and Hulu tends to have a lot of current programming (with the drawback of running limited commercials).

jackrock

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I just got this tablet a couple of days ago and am still learning it. I watched an amazon.com free prime movie with no problem.

ilgal

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I can watch Prime videos, too, but not full screen for some reason . Is there a trick to getting them to expand? I am watching through the stock browser (Flash is installed) and I have to first put the tablet in Portrait orientation to access the Full Screen icon. I click that, and all the window stuff disappears, but the video is still small and in the middle. Any tips?

contrive

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Again, thank you. You write the most concise and informative responses. I really enjoy reading them, perhaps because I was also a techie in the days of the first steam computers. So much has changed since then that I find myself adrift, often. Your replies have been such life savers for me. I'll keep looking, but I'm notoriously cheap with my own needs (and generous with the needs of others) I love the internet and use Google for most of my solutions, so spending money is anathema to me as I feel there must be a work around to do everything. Free Everything. Anarchy! The corporate wars will soon commence. Sometimes I think I must actually sound like that to people I write to.
Have a wonderful day..

contrive

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
This is certainly encouraging. I'll let you know what my experiences are, when I finally get the damned thing! I'm just impatient. It's not scheduled to arrive until tomorrow, when I won't be home. Can't wait to get the come to our headquarters to pick it up o-gram.

contrive

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Got the Galaxy Note. Plugged it in. Had impossible problems with my wifi and had to give up for tonight. Very disappointing. More later.

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
You shouldn't have had problems with Wi-Fi generally speaking, but If you own the Access Point that provides your Wi-Fi, try changing the band and channel settings. Then restart both devices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke