Sideload question

lucasbuck

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a 10.1 and recently got a Tab 2 for my classroom. I've been trying to figure out the logistics of this. I'm kind of worried about the Tab 2 getting swiped (I'm a paranoid) with my personal stuff on it. Specifically, my Google play account. I'm not saying the kids would, but for all you know anyone in the building could grab it and I'd never remember to keep it locked up constantly when it isn't in a kids hand.
I was thinking about just buying apps through my 10.1, and sideloading them onto the Tab 2 so I don't have to ever access my Play account though the student Tab 2. My question is, does a side loaded app contain any of you Play store info? Also, will side loaded apps still update like normal? Thanks for any info.

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The side loaded apps do not retain the info from another device but I don't think the apps will update because the device itself has to be linked to google account to even access the Play Store. You can set it up so that your Tab 2 needs a password to purchase any apps from the play store but it would only prompt for a password when it needs payment. They also would not be able to see your other devices or what you have installed on them. They would however, be able to install/uninstall free apps, as well as any apps you purchased under your account.

Just FYI, if the tablet is somehow stolen and someone else has it, the device can not be unlinked from your account on the "Play Store's" end. I had a situation where device which was not mine was showing up on my account but support claimed that they could to nothing on their end. Their only suggestion was to change all my passwords so that the other person could not purchase any apps under my account. To this day it is still under the devices under my account, though I don't know if it belongs to a person or if its some kind of system error, but apparently the only way to unlink a device from your account is from the device itself(a serious security issue if you ask me).

There are apps that can lock and/or wipe the device remotely. I think if you the device linked to a samsung account they also offer a feature to do the same thing.

lucasbuck

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info! So I wonder if I made a new Play account just for the school tablet, side loaded the apps, if it would then update even though they weren't purchased under that account? And that stinks about the device linking thing, but another reason I really wouldn't want a school tablet linked to my account, so thanks for point it out.

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes if you had another account with the Tab 2 and side loaded the apps they would update with no issues. You might have issues with side loading some apps because they attempt to verify that it was purchased under your account when you try to open the app. It will just give you an error message when you try to run the app. I've only run across a handfull, so chances are you aren't using any apps that will give you a problem.

I also don't think it's paranoid about leaving a tablet linked to your account in a semi-public area. I wouldn't even do it if it were not linked to my account. It's still an expensive device.

I would definitely put an app on the device to track, lock, and wipe the device remotely if I were in your situation.

One more thing to keep in mind. I assume your getting the akp. files using some type of "backup app"on your 10.1. Unless your rooted not all apps can be backed up, and will instead just give you a link to the app in the Play Store. This happens for a small number of apps. I think I have about 8 that I don't have the actual akp. files for.

lucasbuck

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I ran into the non rooted problem. But then I had another thought. Can't I just register the classroom tablet to my account, download the apps and install, then unlink my play account from the tablet?

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For the apps to update they have to linked to an account. You could link it temporarily to update your apps, then unlink it when your done, but you wouldn't know if an update for an app is available until the tablet is linked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12