Email Questions

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Is there any way to get the native email client (not Gmail) to leave messages on the server? I don't use an internet based email client on my desktop and I keep quite a few emails for various reasons. Having setup the email client on my Note I see there appears to be no way to turn it off when I don't want email going to the tablet and the emails that go to the tablet do not show up on the desktop. This just isn't going to work and I'm hoping there is a setting somewhere for leave a copy on the server, otherwise I am simply going to have to delete my normal email account from the Note completely. Even if I could simply turn off the email app and just turn it on when/if I wanted to get email there it would work, but not having copies on my computer is a deal breaker for me.

Hopefully someone has an answer to this. :)

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Apparently unchecking sync stops it from checking email until I want to. What I meant by a deal breaker was not for the tablet itself, just for having my main email on it, I never use my main email addy on my cell phone as I get far too much to want it on the phone,I have a separate email addy that I use for the phone. I do wish there was an option to leave a copy on the server though.
I love this tablet and email or no it's staying. :)

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I believe I have found the solution to this problem and since there have been a lot of views of this message with no replies I assume no one knows the answer, in case someone else has the same problem I will post the solution.
You have to set up the account manually as a Pop3 account and then you have the option to delete messages from server or to leave them there. You do need to know your ISP's incoming and outgoing servers, if you don't know what they are you can get that information from your ISP.

Robert1775

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I use the K9 Mail android email app. It works with both POP3 email accounts and IMAP accounts like Gmail. It is a free download and can be set to leave the mail on the server, push and poll or not, notify when email comes in, and more and more. There are a lot of settings and options and can have many email accounts. This is a lot better than any of the stock email apps on any Android device I have had. It works well with Note 10.1 and you can use handwriting if you want to enter text to email.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
If you use IMAP on the tablet instead of POP3 the tablet will synchronize with the server. All messages will stay on the server. When you download them on the pc, if the pc deletes them from the server, they will also come off the tablet next time it synchronizes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
My problem is if I use IMAP on the tablet the emails go to the tablet and never show up on the computer at all, if the tablet is on and if sync is on. If I use POP3 on the tablet a copy is left on the server and the emails go to both tablet and computer, but I have discovered I can't send email from the tablet if it is setup at POP3, so I may have to give K9Mail a try and see how that works.
I see what is happening, if I want to keep an email on the computer then I can't delete it from the tablet like I am used to doing with the laptop. Yeah I'm going to give K9 Mail a try.
Thanks, :)

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I tried K9 Mail and I can't get it to connect to the outgoing servers at all, not on IMAP or POP3. I believe the problem here is Charter, they require you to use IMAP on a mobile device and that requires having sync enabled, the sync does not work the way I want. Charter will allow you to set up using POP3 BUT you can only receive mail, they do not allow sending mail on a mobile device using POP3 at all. When I turn sync on all mail goes to the tablet and none goes to my desktop, so I guess I will leave sync off and only use email on the tablet when I am away from home and connected via wifi, and just get used to the fact that any email I receive on the tablet has to be kept there or be lost forever.
It's funny that Gmail works just fine, and the way I want it to with my Gmail account that I setup for my cell phone, it must be because that is a web based email.
I am disappointed that this appears to be the way it is, but that's life I guess.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Actually SENDING is done via SMTP regardless of the way you receive email. I didn't think the servers could tell if you are mobile or not for email purposes. Even on a web server they can only tell based on the headers that the browser sends, which can easily be spoofed with the right browser. If that is documented by Charter, then so be it, but it sounds very strange that they would differentiate that way between IMAP and POP3. It sounds more like the problem is with how the SMTP server is getting its authentication. Some SMTP servers rely on logging in with a password each time. Others require you to authenticate by checking mail before trying to send (typically within one to five minutes). So you might have to tinker with the outgoing authentication (try clicking the outgoing authentication off and just make sure you do mail check immediately before sending and see if that works. If so, then it means that the SMTP relies on the POP3/IMAP authentication to validate the user.

You called it right about deleting. If you are using IMAP, then deleting on the tablet will delete on the server next time it syncs so you would not want to delete it on the tablet. It will delete itself after you download the mail on the PC, assuming the PC deletes the mail on download. You can tell pop3 not to do that since pop3 is not actually "synced". Pop3 essentially pretends to sync by downloading the email and respecting your server choices (never, when deleted from inbox - strangely enough delete on download doesn't seem to be available on the tablet client).

If the issue is that you want to keep certain emails on the tablet after they are deleted from the server, you have a couple work arounds. IMAP allows you to create additional folders so you could create a "Tablet" folder and move the mail there that you want preserved on the tablet. The beauty of this is, that folder would still be on the server so you could still get to them from the PC as well if you set up an IMAP account on the PC. Or you could forward it to a secondary account that is just for the tablet. Email syncing on multiple devices is a little tricky to get exact but its more about workflow than about the email client :).

I personally do use IMAP on the tablet and POP3 on the PC so that the PC cleans out the email box regularly. But as I write this and think things through, I"m starting to think that with today's trend toward cloud computing, maybe just using IMAP everywhere is a better approach since IMAP is essentially a cloud based solution. Though THAT depends on how much space you are allowed on your email server.

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Thank you Starbuckk, I appreciate your input very much. What I actually want to do is leave mail on the server everywhere except on my desktop. If I have to leave mail on the tablet for that to happen I can live with that, but the biggest problem is if I have sync turned on on the tablet the emails never get to my desktop at all, they go directly to the tablet and I can't find any way to move them to the desktop without resending them to myself and quickly turning off sync. The only outgoing server that will authenticate on the tablet is mobile.charter.net, I've tried them all, along with ports and security and that is the only one that will work for outgoing mail.

Charter has things setup so that you can only send mail from a tablet using the mobile.charter.net smtp server, but you can receive on the tablet using their POP3 servers.
Actually I think maybe for the sync to work as it is intended I would probably have to be using IMAP on the desktop too, hmmmmmmmmm hadn't thought about that.

I've been using Charter's Pop3 mail for about 10 years and I'm not even sure I can set up the desktop to use IMAP, I'll look into that.

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Can you forward your Charter email to another email account? If so, just set up a Gmail account and forward everything to it.