Galaxy Note 2 10.1?

superjoe95

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm really interested in picking up a galaxy note 10.1 tablet as the specs seem to be the best out there right now. The only thing holding me back is that it's been out for almost a year I believe and I feel like we're due for a note 2 tablet. Anyone know if there is one in the works?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It's been out for over a year now. It was available mid August of 2012. Personally, i'd absolutely wait until early September after IFA to make my decision. I usually don't recommend waiting for the next big thing because there will always be something else coming. But in this case, you're almost guaranteed a solid year with the Note 2 10.1 and I would most definitely wait at least another 10 days. The only thing holding the Note 10.1 back from being the best tablet on the market (in my opinion) is the screen resolution which I am pretty sure will be covered in the next release. However, if you can't wait and you do buy the current model, it's effing awesome.

milesmcever

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Spoke with a Samsung guy a week ago and he felt the 10 wouldn't be updated till spring. Which brings up the question did they change the processors a few months ago in the tablet he spoke like it the current version was pretty new.

Posted via Android Central App

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
While it's true that something new is always around the corner, I do think given IFA is only days away and Samsung "may" announce something it may not be what we want. It appears they are looking to offer up a Galaxy Note 12.1 with Nexus 10 screen resolution, but that would be way too big for my daily needs. It would also be months before coming to the US and likely it wouldn't include enough internal storage. The GN10.1 is still a solid performer and the folks at XDA-Devs continue to support it with 4.2.2 out and 4.3 in the works. Plus Cyanogen Mod is available for it. Sure we loose the Not specific apps but we can a) d/l them an install them, b) find alternatives that are better. The only real negative is losing the split screen function that is built in to TW.

I am waiting for IFA, if nothing is announced I will pick one up. A bit disappointed that year later and its still only $50 off.

superjoe95

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I'll definitely be waiting to see what happens come next week. If there's nothing announced I might still wait to see if the price comes down. We'll see.

superjoe95

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Looks like waiting paid off! Looking forward to the release of the Note 10.1 2014 edition. Any word on release date for North America?

superjoe95

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Looks like September 25th is a key date, with other countries seeing it in October. Not sure where Canada falls in all that, but I'm excited that it's sooner rather than later.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad you waited! I LOVE my Note 10.1 and I want the new one pretty bad. However, I have fallen in love with the front facing speakers and I would miss that tremendously. I bought this Note knowing that I would keep it for years and years. So I will not be upgrading. But man that new version looks sweet and i'd kill for that high res screen.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Similar sentiment here. The new Note 10.1 specs are awesome, but a few things bother me about it (purely subjective):

1. Faux leather back and stitching. It would go in a case anyway, but IMO it just looks cheesy.
2. Physical home button. Just looks bad. And why drop the awesome on-screen buttons?
3. Re-designed round flat ended S-Pen and the way it sticks out a bit from the edge of the tablet. The old one curves into the edge and blends in. Looks so much better IMO.
4. No front facing speakers

The fake leather doesn't bother me TOO bad for one major reason.......it shows that Samsung IS considering build materials other than the shiny hard plastic that I have grown so weary of listening to haters whine about. So this new material could be okay depending on how it holds up. If it starts to crack and split after a while, I would HATE it with a passion. But as of now I kind of appreciate the effort to make it feel more like a nice bound notebook instead of an electronic device. I only wish they'd used genuine leather.

Physical home button seems odd and I imagine it would feel really strange at times. But i'd also be very open minded to giving it a shot because i'm not a fan of accidentally pressing the on screen buttons in an app. I also know the physical button doesn't bother the millions of iPad users so maybe it's something that you can adapt to over time. I don't know.

The S pen fit of our current Note 10.1 is a thing of beauty. I love how flush it is when it's in place and you wouldn't know it was there unless someone showed you. Really cool. The round S pen could be nice if it can go in the tablet in any direction as opposed to having to fit the current one in perfectly, but of course then you lose the flush perfect fit.

The speakers are almost a deal breaker. That's my biggest gripe. I never thought it would matter THAT much but after enjoying them, I was really hoping that would be a new trademark of Samsung. To put front facing speakers on all their tablets. They even did it with the N10 so I thought it was a certainty they'd keep it up. I'm very interested to know why they got away from that. I get that it would add some to the bezels, but bezels don't bother me on a 10" tablet because I need SOMEWHERE to hold onto. I'm sure there's a logical reason they changed it but I wouldn't have if I was them.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I just saw the specs and review on the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 version. I have to say I'm a little disappointed, but like some of the new software adaptations.
The one thing I really don't like is the buttons on the Bezel. I have the galaxy note 8.0 and I hit the home button way to often. I have to actually turn the tablet upside down to get around that, which isn't a major problem, but prefer the onscreen buttons. The reason IPad people probably don't complain is the home button is recessed into the bezel, whereas the button on samsung phones and tablets is sticking out, so easier to hit.
I definitely don't like not having the front facing speakers. That is something I also wish they would have kept.
I still love my Galaxy Note 10.1 and want to use it as long as it lasts for me. I'd probably update to the 2014 if mine had problems, but it's still going strong after a year. The Galaxy Note 3 is next in line for me, but I have another 11 months to wait until I can get one. Who knows what will be out by then.

oz123

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Without having actually handled this new device, it seems to me this is a fantastic tablet.Samsung has listened to users , and has improved the tablet in every area. This is evidenced by them making it smaller, lighter, moving spen silo to a more accessible position, higher resolution screen, better processor, improved software for spen, 4.3 JB,3 gb RAM,USB charging,moving notifications to top of screen, bigger battery to compensate for higher resolution screen, improved casing , higher MP camera, what more could you ask for? I have no complaints at all with this new model, and I cannot wait to get my hands on one! The one I have is fantastic, an upgraded one is only going to make the experience even better. I am personally very impressed with the effort Samsung has put into this device, IMO the best Android tablet for actually Doing, and creating.

Last edited:

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Without having actually handled this new device, it seems to me this is a fantastic tablet.Samsung has listened to users , and has improved the tablet in every area. This is evidenced by them making it smaller, lighter, moving spen silo to a more accessible position, higher resolution screen, better processor, improved software for spen, 4.3 JB,3 gb RAM,USB charging,moving notifications to top of screen, bigger battery to compensate for higher resolution screen, improved casing , higher MP camera, what more could you ask for? I have no complaints at all with this new model, and I cannot wait to get my hands on one! The one I have is fantastic, an upgraded one is only going to make the experience even better. I am personally very impressed with the effort Samsung has put into this device, IMO the best Android tablet for actually Doing, and creating.

Oh, I agree there is a lot that's great about the new tablet, you even mentioned a couple things I didn't know it had. I'm just a little disappointed in the couple things I mentioned. It does look nice, I like the smaller Bezel and the faux leather backing. I'll have to wait until it comes out to actually get my hands on it and play with it. My 10.1 is good enough for now though. It'll be awhile before I spend anymore money on a tablet. I can't wait to hear the user reviews once it's out.

oz123

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes Andy847, this makes things very interesting for me also, having only had mine for 4months and now this ! It is hard to justify laying out more money for , when the one I have is doing a perfectly good job. But I don't think I will be able to resist. The new software improvements for Spen functionality are just too much to resist, as I use my tab every day at work and really need these new features. Guess I'll have to start saving those pennies! My original post was not directed at your comments though, moreso to comments I had been reading on the net. I agree with you on the Home button, lets just hope that it's recessed, and not easily activated.

Edit: just came across this video, looks like the home button is recessed.
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) hands-on - YouTube

Last edited:

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I think I could still ask for with this new version is the front facing speakers. They really do make a world of difference. BUT, if I was in the market to replace my old Note 10.1, i'd be a fool to let the speakers stop me. It still looks absolutely amazing to me.

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah... I wonder why they abandoned the front facing speakers. I think that would be nice option to have moving forward... Did anyone hear of any reason around that?

... Sent from my tablet, please excuse any typos...

oz123

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
The only reason I can see is to make the device smaller. They have managed to shave 19mm x 8.6mm from the dimensions, probably to entice more people to take up the 10.1" size, as they are still selling far more 7" tablets. I'm still optimistic that the speakers will be fine, every other feature has been upgraded can't see why the speakers would be any different. We all love the front facing speakers though.

Last edited:

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
The new version looks amazing but I'm going to get the version from last year. Its heavily discounted at the moment and I also have an ipad so I couldnt justify spending ?500 on the latest version. The original version will be a nice step up from my galaxy tab 2 10.1 anyway. Also I'd really miss the front facing speakers on the 2014 version. I've also gotten used to the design of my tab 2 so the original note resemebles that closely. It has a quad core processor and 2 GB of Ram which will be good enough for me for a while yet.

Posted from my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463