When is ok to start charging the battery?

Bruno Alves2

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
This is my very first thread and post on this forum. I?ve read extensivily this forum and watch videos on the Galaxy Note 10.1 (not the 2014) and so I bought one brand new for 365Euros (in Portugal).

Loving this device, and now I?m saving on the electrical bill as I am using less the desktop pc.

My doubt is regarding the battery, I have classes every day, and I use in the +-6hours/day about 50% charge, I use mainly the s-notes and pdf reader, and having the sync stuff off, energy savers on, etc. For one day it?s more than enough.

So is it ok to charge the battery still with 40%+- charge? Or should i always go for 5% or less?
At what point it?s ok to start charging? I always go for the 100% charge.

I cant seem to find this info anywhere!!!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
This is my very first thread and post on this forum. I?ve read extensivily this forum and watch videos on the Galaxy Note 10.1 (not the 2014) and so I bought one brand new for 365Euros (in Portugal).

Loving this device, and now I?m saving on the electrical bill as I am using less the desktop pc.

My doubt is regarding the battery, I have classes every day, and I use in the +-6hours/day about 50% charge, I use mainly the s-notes and pdf reader, and having the sync stuff off, energy savers on, etc. For one day it?s more than enough.

So is it ok to charge the battery still with 40%+- charge? Or should i always go for 5% or less?
At what point it?s ok to start charging? I always go for the 100% charge.

I cant seem to find this info anywhere!!!

Welcome to the forums.
I would not let it drop below 30%. Some sites have suggested to let it nearly drain, to 5% about once a month.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
There is no 'memory' problem with lithium batteries. They do not need to be drained like the old NiCd batteries did.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4

Bruno Alves2

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys, I found info but it was too much technical for me, fortunatly I kept reading and found near the end the following:

Rechargeable batteries degrade with use, the capacity decreasing until it is unusably small. Li+ batteries last longer[111] if not deeply discharged (depleted) before recharging. The smaller the depth of discharge, the longer the battery will last.[112]

Batteries may last longer if not stored fully discharged. As the battery self-discharges over time, its voltage gradually reduces. When depleted below the low-voltage threshold of the protection circuit (2.4 to 2.9 V/cell, depending on chemistry) it will be disabled and cannot be further discharged until recharged.[111][clarification needed] It is recommended to store batteries at 40% charge level.[111]

The rate of degradation of lithium-ion batteries is strongly temperature-dependent; they degrade much faster if stored or used at higher temperatures. The carbon anode of the cell also generates heat. High charge levels and elevated temperatures (whether from charging or ambient air) hasten capacity loss.[50] A test on a commonly-used LiCoO
2 cell showed that over one year a fully charged cell kept at 25 ?C (77 ?F) permanently lost 20% of total capacity; the loss was lower when stored at lower charge levels and lower temperatures. Poor ventilation may increase temperatures, further shortening battery life. Loss rates vary by temperature: 6% loss at 0 ?C (32 ?F), 20% at 25 ?C (77 ?F), and 35% at 40 ?C (104 ?F). When stored at 40%–60% charge level, the capacity loss is reduced to 2%, 4%, and 15%, respectively. In contrast, the calendar life of LiFePO
4 cells is not affected by high charge states.[113] They may be stored in a refrigerator.[114][115]

Charging forms deposits inside the electrolyte that inhibit ion transport. The increase in internal resistance reduces the cell's ability to deliver current. This problem is more pronounced in high-current applications. Older batteries also do not charge as much as new ones (charging time required decreases).

Hope this info and the replies posted will help future questions.

Bill Clark

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you found battery university--a good source of information. From what I've read, these batteries have a limited number of full discharge to charge cycles, the text above alludes to it. I've always charged my phones over night every night and the batteries have lasted at least a couple years doing that. One thing to note is that the batteries are under more stress at the extremes--full charge and empty--which is presumably why they ship them at half charge. So I would avoid leaving the batteries at low charge for very long. That would also suggest not to leave it plugged in after full charge, but I've always done that with my phones with no discernible damage.