Nervous Buyer Needs Reasurance

sojodave

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I pulled a trigger on a Walmart 16gb refurb for $269 and should arrive on Friday. Today I'm second guessing my decision. I have a Nexus 7, but I'm ready for a 10" tablet and I've been reading about the 10.1 lag and tablets getting slower over time.

My reason for going with a 10.1 tablet was Peel, MicroSD, Spen for photos and notes, and 2GB of ram. Most reviews I've seen online were done when the 10.1 ran Ice Cream Sandwich and not JB. The more I read, the more confused I get. Should I...

A. Save my money for the 10.1 2014 model.
B. Go for a New Nexus 10 allegedly on Nov. 21
C. Get a Note 8
D. Stop comparing what I could have and love the 2012 10.1 model.

Please let me know if you love your 2012 10.1 model with JB or if you have any advice, I would love to see it.

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The only real downfall of the Note 10.1 2012 is the low resolution for such a big screen. Although not really a problem with daily use it does become noticeable when watching HD movies. I used my tablet mainly for sketching on the go, web browsing, and games, and the rez was fine for me. Mine has the Jellybean update which is better, but it was fine with ICS. Multiwindow does add some more functionality.

As far as the slowdown it shouldn't be different than on any other android tablet.

One of the main reasons for getting the Note10.1 is the s-pen. I think that only puts it above the rest of options out there.

Concerning the 2014 or 2012 there's not a huge improvement in specs besides screen resolution. You'll have to decide whether the better rez is worth almost twice the price. I'm fine with the lower rez but for some it might be an issue.

As for the other size tablets, I never really understood the point of a 7" tablet. At that point I would just use my phone(I'm assuming you have a smart phone of some type). The point of getting a tablet is to have a larger screen. 7" is still to small for note taking or web browsing, and it's not like the 7" is really more portable, it still won't fit in your pocket so you'll have to carry it around like a 10".

Another thing to keep in mind is that after the Jellybean update you can no longer run apps from sd unless rooted. I have the 16gb model and started to run out of space after only having it for a year. I did have a lot of extraneous apps that I could remove but it sucks to even have to worry about it.

At $269 I think you got a great deal.

sojodave

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

I played with a 2014 model at BestBuy and the guy said he owned the 2012 version and loves it. He said he has no desire to upgrade to the 2014 model.

MS3GT

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I second that. I am very pleased with my Note 10.1. No desire to upgrade. I just wish that Samsung would stop screwing around with the 4.3 update and bring it already.

I am Aquaman.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Front facing speakers are a huge plus on the original 10.1

I don't know why they got rid of them in the new model.

Posted via Android Central App

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I got the Note 10.1 and I love it so far.thanks for the reassurance.

Posted via Android Central App
Sojo, I have the 10.1. I also went from the original Note to the Note 3. While the new features on the Note 3, and are on the new 10.1, are nice I still grab the 10.1 for web surfing and other things. I found out the update the 10.1 got recently gives you the feature where if you clip something from a web page with a lasso (draw a circle around what you want to save) gives you a row of apps to choose to put the cut out on. I save everything to S-notes so I don't remember what the other options were. I love my 10.1 and have no interest in upgrading. Being able to have multi-view is super, and I think the video quality is great. Just make sure you get any and all accessories you want for it soon. Someone posted on here that Samsung isn't going to continue the accessories for the original 10.1. Luckily Amazon and other places have a lot to choose from so get your case, a few chargers, a usb adapter.... and an extra S-pen as budget permits. When you're exploring your wonderful tablet and need some help, just holler. Enjoy! It's awesome.

Bill Clark

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure you'll do fine with the decision you made. As others have pointed out, the 2014 model is only going to help with screen resolution. The quad core processor will ensure that lags are minimal if they exist at all--and I don't see any lags. I cannot speak to the new Nexus, but neither can anyone else with any real authority since it isn't out yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12