Dumb charging question

Icegoddess

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
My phone charger has 2 inputs on it, so I thought maybe I could also use it to charge my Note. But, when I try I get the dreaded circle with a slash over the charging icon. My question is, does this mean it is not charging at all or that it IS charging, but at a less than optimal rate?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My phone charger has 2 inputs on it, so I thought maybe I could also use it to charge my Note. But, when I try I get the dreaded circle with a slash over the charging icon. My question is, does this mean it is not charging at all or that it IS charging, but at a less than optimal rate?

I would guess it wither isn't charging or taking such a minimal charge that the tablet doesn't like it.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I know the note requires a 2.1amp charger, most phone chargers are 1.0amp. Mine with that red circle won't charge, but it slows down the rate of battery depletion, or can charge slowly if the note is shut off.

Bill Clark

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Just to totally geek out a moment, the input your charger takes either plugs into the wall or a car adapter. The part that plugs into your phone is actually the output. When you say "my phone charger" it is easy to assume you are referring to the one you got with your phone and not some aftermarket charger you picked up from radio shark--or somewhere. I make these two distinctions because I'm a little OCD and because I've not seen an OEM charger with two outputs--or inputs. I have however seen after market chargers so configured and some have different ratings for each of the outputs. Normally there is a label that you may need to visit a well funded science lab to read, that would tell you the output. As stated, you need at least 2 amps to charge the phone at a rate that overcomes its normal consumption rate. It is possible that your phone charger outputs this on one port but not the other.

Icegoddess

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your answers. Mr. Geek, I should've known better. I do know the difference between input and output. Anyway, I recently bought a Droid Maxx and the charger in question is the one that came with it, not after-market. It appears both of the outputs are the same as the only info about output is on the input side of the charger and it gives one line for input and one line for output which is: 5.0V-----1150 mA. However, the info about the minimum of 2A will come in handy when I decide to buy an external battery charger. I already have one of those which I bought prior to getting the Note, but It is only 5600mAh and 1A output. I knew I needed to look for at least a 10000mAh, but I didn't know about the 2A.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith