USB keyboard (Any apps who support this?)

Giesji

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a usb adaptor for my tablet, and a wireless usb keyboard (and mouse, but thats less important for me) because this was much cheaper than a bluetooth keyboard.
But I'm having a bit of trouble. It works, but not without problems, and I figured this might be because some of the apps I use doesn't support it. And the tablet seems a bit confused too.

If I plug in the adaptor first, and then the usb dongle/transmitter, I get a notification that the tablet doesn't recognize the usb. But if I take out the adaptor (with the transmitter still in it) and put it back in, it tells me a mouse is connected. In some cases I can see a curser, sometimes I can't. If I already have an app open for writing, I can use the keyboard, but if I tap anywhere, go in and out of apps, or even hit the volume button, the keyboard stops working. And there is also some problems when I hit the spacebar or backspace, like it just continues to make spaces/deletes like the button is stuck (which it isn't, its brand new. I tested both mouse and keyboard on my computer to see if the keyboard was the problem, but it works perfectly fine).

I don't know if this is because the tablet itself doesn't fully support usb devices, or I can use some other app that does. I only tested the keyboard in Polaris.

Edit: I just realized that the adaptor is originally intended for a Galaxy Tab 10, but does that really make any difference? Could that be the problem?

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a usb adaptor for my tablet, and a wireless usb keyboard (and mouse, but thats less important for me) because this was much cheaper than a bluetooth keyboard.
But I'm having a bit of trouble. It works, but not without problems, and I figured this might be because some of the apps I use doesn't support it. And the tablet seems a bit confused too.

If I plug in the adaptor first, and then the usb dongle/transmitter, I get a notification that the tablet doesn't recognize the usb. But if I take out the adaptor (with the transmitter still in it) and put it back in, it tells me a mouse is connected. In some cases I can see a curser, sometimes I can't. If I already have an app open for writing, I can use the keyboard, but if I tap anywhere, go in and out of apps, or even hit the volume button, the keyboard stops working. And there is also some problems when I hit the spacebar or backspace, like it just continues to make spaces/deletes like the button is stuck (which it isn't, its brand new. I tested both mouse and keyboard on my computer to see if the keyboard was the problem, but it works perfectly fine).

I don't know if this is because the tablet itself doesn't fully support usb devices, or I can use some other app that does. I only tested the keyboard in Polaris.

Welcome to the forums.
It might be an incompatibility in the tablet or the mouse. I would guess they are having a hard time 'talking' to each other. You can try to look for an app on Play, but I am not totally sure an app is going to help this.

Giesji

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Thank you :)

I tried some different apps, another office app and an app for external keyboard. For a while, I had no problem using the keyboard, not even if I opened and closed apps or tapped on the text. But it kept changing back to softkeyboard by itself from time to time, and now, for some reason, I can't even open my notification window, or the button to change back to other keyboards!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you :)

I tried some different apps, another office app and an app for external keyboard. For a while, I had no problem using the keyboard, not even if I opened and closed apps or tapped on the text. But it kept changing back to softkeyboard by itself from time to time, and now, for some reason, I can't even open my notification window, or the button to change back to other keyboards!

The apps them selves might be going further away from USB support

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Giesji

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I think I found out what the problem is... I think the main problem is the adaptor. Its a cheap chinese knock off I found on ebay for just a few bucks, so it seems likely.
The external keyboard app helped a lot, and if I set it as standard keyboard, it doesn't constantly switch back to soft keyboard. But I noticed the usb icon blinked a bit while I was using it, and I sometimes get a message about they keyboard, witch I usually only get when I plug in the device. My theory is that the adaptor is crap, and just loses the connection every now and then, and once it loses the connection, I can only get the keyboard working again if I pull out the adaptor and put it back in.
Still not sure why the notification menu didn't work, but I suspect the adaptor might also be the reason for that.

Anyway, it kinda works now, but I think I should probably look for a better adaptor. Hopefully that will fix the problem :)

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
You keep referring to "USB adapter".... Is it really just a OTG cable or is there some electronics in adapter?.... OR maybe is it actually a "hub"...

Dale