Kit Kat and SD cards - I've got a baaad feeling about this :(

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Word on the street is that Kit Kat will bring with it some severe restrictions on SD cards..severe enough that you might want to reconsider taking the update. If I am reading correctly, most likely apps like FolderSync will become useless. I use this heavily to keep my tablet and phone in sync.

Lecture Notes, which currently can be set to write its files wherever you choose (the way ALL apps with external data files should do), may be corralled to a specific space.:(

And...I have to wonder if they are going to push out a locked bootloader like they did on the S4.

I have not rooted my phone. But one big reason I choose android over ios (besides it just being better) is the lack of being dictated to about how I can use my devices. This one may push me into the root camp, assuming rooting breaks this idiotic restriction.

Did some Apple Mole sneak on to the Samsung and/or Google Board of Directors?

In any case, be careful about this update. It may be a down-date instead.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Word on the street is that Kit Kat will bring with it some severe restrictions on SD cards..severe enough that you might want to reconsider taking the update. If I am reading correctly, most likely apps like FolderSync will become useless. I use this heavily to keep my tablet and phone in sync.

Lecture Notes, which currently can be set to write its files wherever you choose (the way ALL apps with external data files should do), may be corralled to a specific space.:(

And...I have to wonder if they are going to push out a locked bootloader like they did on the S4.

I have not rooted my phone. But one big reason I choose android over ios (besides it just being better) is the lack of being dictated to about how I can use my devices. This one may push me into the root camp, assuming rooting breaks this idiotic restriction.

Did some Apple Mole sneak on to the Samsung and/or Google Board of Directors?

In any case, be careful about this update. It may be a down-date instead.

I'm not sure about some of what you said (I just in general don't like SD cards on Android).

As far as the bootloader situation, every single bootloader on every single device shipped is locked. I think you mean "impossible to be unlocked" in which case I'm not sure. I know that Knox has been causing some problems.

If KK changes the way SD cards are handled you should definitely point the finger at Samsung, since Google doesn't bundle a whole lot of support into Android for SD cards.

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
SD: I think that Samsung version for our Note is abit differend than Googles for Nexus devices (as they always are).

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
From what I'm seeing on the Sprint S4 forums, there is indeed trouble brewing with the 4.4.3 update. Lots of reports of inability to work properly with the SD card with third party apps. So looks like I'll be avoiding the update until root methods are worked out. Never cared for rooting but this is a deal breaker.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Sprint note 3, Yep, external SD card support is neutered when using third party apps, stock apps work okay, most third party apps cannot write files, create folders, or delete anything from the ext SD card at this time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11