"Authentication Error Occurred" on Wi-Fi yet modem is OK!

A

AC Question

I just bought a Samsung 10.1 Note tablet off a private seller, and I'm starting to be concerned, because I can't connect to wi-fi. (Something I never though of testing!). The first time it gave me "authentication error", and I switched from WPA-PS2 to WEP, and then it worked. But then when i changed it again to try out WPA-PS1, it wouldn't work, and then it wouldn't work on WEP again either! I've tried Hard Reset, Factory Reset, the default WEP password on the router, and even after 2 dozen tries, it won't connect AT ALL to wi-fi, repeating that error.

What gives, please?! Am I borked, as in this is some sort of defect with the wifi card on these Note tablets, or is it solvable via software?

Skinjob

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, but there's nothing in that guide that will help here. Remember, I said my Tab4 works on the same router with the same settings.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's still worth rebooting the router, if you haven't done so already. I've had the experience before when only one device wasn't connecting, while other devices could connect fine. After a router reboot, the problem device could then connect.

Skinjob

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I did reboot the router, several times, to no effect. Want to know what solved the problem? Waiting! When I tried it again the next morning, it connected! Then I switched from WEP to WPA-PS2, and it gave me "poor signal" error once again (false error), and wouldn't connect. Then I deleted the configuration, and reconnected to WPA-PS2, and it worked! I've since tested it by deleting the configuration again, turning the tablet off, restarting, redoing the WPA-PS2 config, it still connects.

Go figure.