Google Play downloads getting stuck again!

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

Carterman32

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Yes, see above. I'd narrowed it down to a few apps because I eliminated until it started working. Then the behavior began again. It is impossible to tell because it's not like a pending download immediately starts downloading. Every time I have to close Play store, clear cache and see if it works.

Also, I noticed that some of the pending downloads will eventually go through overnight. But in safe mode, everything downloads immediately.

Is there anything else safe mode changes that could lead me to the culprit?

You still haven't mentioned if you tried clearing the cache/data from the Download Manager system app (unless one of your above responses was actually to me, and not to the other members in this thread).

Yes, I cleared downlaod manager cache, as well. No luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, see above. I'd narrowed it down to a few apps because I eliminated until it started working. Then the behavior began again. It is impossible to tell because it's not like a pending download immediately starts downloading. Every time I have to close Play store, clear cache and see if it works.

Also, I noticed that some of the pending downloads will eventually go through overnight. But in safe mode, everything downloads immediately.

Is there anything else safe mode changes that could lead me to the culprit?
Safe mode eliminate 3rd party apps to see if they are the cause usually

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
What's worked for me when the Play Store updates occasionally get stuck is to force stop and clear cache of three apps: Google, Google Play Services, Google Play Store. (Sometimes doing it to Google alone suffices.)

Carterman32

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
What's worked for me when the Play Store updates occasionally get stuck is to force stop and clear cache of three apps: Google, Google Play Services, Google Play Store. (Sometimes doing it to Google alone suffices.)

Tried. Didn't work.

I just don't understand the inconsistency. Why does it sometimes keep everything as a pending download, but the next time I open Play, it'll download to 68% and then hang. And then the next time it'll go to 100%, but not install. It is impossible to figure out the source because the behavior isn't just that it's not downloading - it often partially downloads (or says that's what it's doing)

Another weird thing I noticed - I can download apps from the Samsung app store ,just not Google play. Is there a reason id be able to do one but not the other?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Another weird thing I noticed - I can download apps from the Samsung app store ,just not Google play. Is there a reason id be able to do one but not the other?
You have in Google play store to auto update over any network ?

Edit:. Make sure you reboot the phone after these steps

Carterman32

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
You have in Google play store to auto update over any network ?

Edit:. Make sure you reboot the phone after these steps

Yes, auto update over any network.

I deleted Nova launcher and everything started downloading again. I tried a couple other launchers I didn't like, then deleted them, now I have the same issue again. It downloads to 100%, but won't install. This has to be a Google play issue, right?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, auto update over any network.

I deleted Nova launcher and everything started downloading again. I tried a couple other launchers I didn't like, then deleted them, now I have the same issue again. It downloads to 100%, but won't install. This has to be a Google play issue, right?
So on the Samsung launcher it does same.

Ok maybe should ask this question, because the basic we went over in beginning should of fixed this .

What else have you done to the phone besides launcher ? Is phone completely stock besides launcher ?

Antivirus virus?
App cleaner?
Any application ?

Carterman32

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
So on the Samsung launcher it does same.

Ok maybe should ask this question, because the basic we went over in beginning should of fixed this .

What else have you done to the phone besides launcher ? Is phone completely stock besides launcher ?

Antivirus virus?
App cleaner?
Any application ?

I started by narrowing down the apps, unisntalling 5 at a time until the downloads started to work again. I thought I had found the issue because it started working, the problem came back. Then I deleted nova launcher, and that fixed the issue. I downloaded new launchers and the issue came back. I deleted the new launchers, the issue is still present. This is why it's impossible to figure it out. It works for a second, then stops. And every time I have to clear cache, storage, reset. I feel like this is a game of whack-a-mole.

And just to give you an idea of how complicated this is - I still have a launcher on, I restarted the phone, and I tried a download that froze at 95%. Then I forced play store to quit, re-opened it, and the app finished downloading.

What would cause it to start downloading, or even download to 100% and not install? And why does forcing quit, clearing cache/storage sometimes work and sometimes not? I feel completely lost because the results are inconsistent. It works and then it doesn't, often with no change at all.

And I have also noticed that many of the downloads that get stuck eventually finish if I leave it overnight. I imagine it wouldn't finish at all if a conflicting app was the cause.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I started by narrowing down the apps, unisntalling 5 at a time until the downloads started to work again. I thought I had found the issue because it started working, the problem came back. Then I deleted nova launcher, and that fixed the issue. I downloaded new launchers and the issue came back. I deleted the new launchers, the issue is still present. This is why it's impossible to figure it out. It works for a second, then stops. And every time I have to clear cache, storage, reset. I feel like this is a game of whack-a-mole.

And just to give you an idea of how complicated this is - I still have a launcher on, I restarted the phone, and I tried a download that froze at 95%. Then I forced play store to quit, re-opened it, and the app finished downloading.

What would cause it to start downloading, or even download to 100% and not install? And why does forcing quit, clearing cache/storage sometimes work and sometimes not? I feel completely lost because the results are inconsistent. It works and then it doesn't, often with no change at all.

And I have also noticed that many of the downloads that get stuck eventually finish if I leave it overnight. I imagine it wouldn't finish at all if a conflicting app was the cause.
I think system is getting confused at this moment to many things have been tried and now sytem getting use to the new changes from clearing this and that , for time being leave the stock launcher , everything stock and when you see it not updating just simple play store clear cache and force stop and monitor it for a week see what happens.

Carterman32

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I think system is getting confused at this moment to many things have been tried and now sytem getting use to the new changes from clearing this and that , for time being leave the stock launcher , everything stock and when you see it not updating just simple play store clear cache and force stop and monitor it for a week see what happens.

That's not realistic. I control everything from my phone, from my alarm to my locks to my work email. I don't think systems can get confused. This has to be a Google play issue since Samsung store works fine.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That's not realistic. I control everything from my phone, from my alarm to my locks to my work email. I don't think systems can get confused. This has to be a Google play issue since Samsung store works fine.
What's not realistic?
Clearing data ,cache force stopping play store ,play services, other apps mentioned have to reload data and process again factory reset, resetting permission to apps.
My suggestion for time being leave it the way it is stock and go from there .

These normal suggestions early on should of worked , and play store is different Samsung Galaxy store .

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Try disabling and renabling automatic date and time settings

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I used Samsung Smart Switch to bring across apps and then let Google update them. I had several older ant-add apps that I later uninstalled and neither Google or Smart Switch brought everything over but it was 95% with no hangs.
Smart Switch kinda rules.

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
You mention narrowing it down to a group of 10 that may be problematic. Is it the same app that hangs up when downloading or won't install? Sure sounds like a problem with an installed app, not the play store.

Carterman32

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
You mention narrowing it down to a group of 10 that may be problematic. Is it the same app that hangs up when downloading or won't install? Sure sounds like a problem with an installed app, not the play store.

It's not the same app that gets held up. The behavior of the Play store isn't even consistent. Sometimes it says "downloading" and does nothing. Sometimes it downloads to a certain percentage, then hangs. Sometimes it gets to 100% and then won't install. And then sometimes it works. That's why it's hard to diagnose. I delete an app and think the issue is fixed only to discover it just happened to be that it let an app or two through for a few minutes.

I used Samsung Smart Switch to bring across apps and then let Google update them. I had several older ant-add apps that I later uninstalled and neither Google or Smart Switch brought everything over but it was 95% with no hangs.
Smart Switch kinda rules.

Huh? I'm not moving from another phone.

Carterman32

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Something else I just noticed. I tried it in safe mode again, and the updates in progress were still stuck. So that shows it isn't necessarily a rogue app. I then forced the Play store to quit and everything downloaded. But I assume if it was a rogue app, the apps that were waiting to update would've immediately done so instead of requiring a force quit.

Can anyone please help me? There has to be a solution.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On the off chance this is a problem with a recent Android System Webview update, try uninstalling all updates to that system app. (This is assuming your phone is on Android 10. If for some reason you're on Pie, then Chrome takes the place of Android System Webview, in which case you'd have to try uninstalling all updates to Chrome.)

Carterman32

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Another thing I noticed - when it hangs in the middle of a download, force quitting and reopening will result in completing the download. But trying to download another app won't happen.

On the off chance this is a problem with a recent Android System Webview update, try uninstalling all updates to that system app. (This is assuming your phone is on Android 10. If for some reason you're on Pie, then Chrome takes the place of Android System Webview, in which case you'd have to try uninstalling all updates to Chrome.)

Tried this. Nothing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2