Google Play downloads getting stuck again!

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Note 10+ and my pending and installing downloads keep getting stuck. I have tried all the things I could find on the internet - clear Play store cache and storage, clear app permissions, clear Play services storage, restart phone. I got so fed up that I factory reset my phone. When I did that, the first 100 apps downloaded, and then everything got stuck again. I cleared Play services and store storage again, but that was a mistake. Now it doesn't remember which apps to continue installing from my backup. And it still didn't fix the problem, the apps won't download.

Maybe the cherry on top is that of the 100 apps downloaded the require passwords, only about 10 of them remembered their settings. Meaning,I had to go through and try to remember or reset the passwords on every single one. Why wouldn't it just remember this on a restore like an iPhone.

Please help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you also clear the cache and data from the Download Manager app? To find it, go to Settings>Apps​, then tap Menu>Show System.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Given your description of what is happening and what is working it sounds like you have a bad app. Probably in that first 100 app bunch. I can't say what it is or what it's doing but my money is on a bad app.

Do you have any anti apps? Anti-spam, spyware, malware etc etc? These apps are notorious for causing issues, way more than they say they'll fix. I would start by uninstalling anything like that, but you may wish to just disable them and then try again.

Are you using a VPN? I've heard the Play Store doesn't play nice with all VPNs. If you're using one try turning it off and going at it raw.

I'm not sure if you can download and install apps in Safe Mode, perhaps mustang7757 would know, but if neither of the former questions apply to you that would be my next step.
To get into safe mode on the S10; (same process for the Note 10)
•Press and hold the Power button until the 'Power off' prompt appears on the screen then release.
•Touch and hold Power off until the 'Safe mode' prompt appears then release.
•To confirm, tap Safe mode. The process may take up to 30 seconds to complete.

Let us know what you find and we can go from there.

Carterman32

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I don't think I have any anti-ware. Safe mode did fix the issue. So how do I use that to resolve the problem in regular mode?

And since I cleared Google play services storage, the play store no longer has the download list of apps from my previous install. When I go to library to manually find apps, it lists every app I've ever installed , which is many thousands. How do I get just the list of my last restore's apps?

I did both. And this is the same issue that occurred before my factory reset. It has to be an app conflict or the play store itself is flawed. I even downgraded play store to no avail.

Safe mode worked. How do I find the broken app?

Last edited by a moderator:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Safe mode worked. How do I find the broken app?
Try going to the latest and uninstall one by one until it works play store

I did both. And this is the same issue that occurred before my factory reset. It has to be an app conflict or the play store itself is flawed. I even downgraded play store to no avail.
If you had Samsung back up on , go to settings>accounts and restore Screenshot_20200531-024036_Samsung%20Cloud.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Since Safe Mode appears to be working and we are now on the assumption that this is due to an app finding the app may take some time but this would be my next step in trying to find it...

Since internet is no longer a permission I'd start by disabling all of my apps. Starting with the A's and working my way down to the Z's. Disabling 5 to 10 apps at a time until you've narrowed it down to one group and then work through those. If you do them 10 at a time and you have 110 - 120 apps that's only 10 to 12 tests if you have to go all the way to the last app.

Or you could just jump into the risky apps. Anything that was free, had less than 3.5 stars, shows you way too many ads, asked for phone or contact permission when it doesn't call or text anyone...

This would be systematic and it gives you the opportunity to clear out the junk. Uninstall anything you find along the way that you haven't opened or used in forever or ever. Of course remember to test between each group.

Carterman32

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Looks like I've narrowed it down to one of a few offending apps. The issue now is that Samsung apps won't restore even though it says it backed up at 5a. Is there any way to redo the Google backup after I've ready some the setup?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
As this is my first Samsung device and I've not done a restore or factory reset on the device I unfortunately have no advice. I think both B. Diddy and mustang7757 probably have so we'll see what they say.

Carterman32

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I take it back. After all of that. It was a one trick pony. All the apps are getting held up again. If I keep erasing storage on Play, it will occasionally bring one app to a 100% download but not install. Then if I erase storage one more time, it'll install that app. But try to install something else and back to square one. What is going on here? This is so frustrating.

I don't understand why sometimes it gets stuck on download, then I delete storage and it downloads 54% and gets stuck, then sometimes it goes to 100% and doesn't install. And then if you keep clearing storage, it will maybe install one app. And all of this occurs in a matter of seconds, so it's not like I've changed other apps in between. This has got to be a Google play issue, but if that's the case, everyone would be experiencing this.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I take it back. After all of that. It was a one trick pony. All the apps are getting held up again. If I keep erasing storage on Play, it will occasionally bring one app to a 100% download but not install. Then if I erase storage one more time, it'll install that app. But try to install something else and back to square one. What is going on here? This is so frustrating.

I don't understand why sometimes it gets stuck on download, then I delete storage and it downloads 54% and gets stuck, then sometimes it goes to 100% and doesn't install. And then if you keep clearing storage, it will maybe install one app. And all of this occurs in a matter of seconds, so it's not like I've changed other apps in between. This has got to be a Google play issue, but if that's the case, everyone would be experiencing this.
Did you try Eliminating some apps?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You still haven't mentioned if you tried clearing the cache/data from the Download Manager system app (unless one of your above responses was actually to me, and not to the other members in this thread).

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante