Screen Durability, seems too easy to break?

Badboy600

Aug 22, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the responses! Ive never tried the glass screen protector but maybe its time. I was fortunately able to take advantage of Samsungs free screen repair for hospital employees. Very Smooth process

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses! Ive never tried the glass screen protector but maybe its time. I was fortunately able to take advantage of Samsungs free screen repair for hospital employees. Very Smooth process

That's awesome! How are you finding the new screen? So glad the process went swimmingly for you!

Badboy600

Aug 22, 2019
Visit site
Screen is perfect. I got the repair done at a local ubreakifix store. They are an official Samsung repair center so all the parts are OEM. They took a picture of my id and that was it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Screen is perfect. I got the repair done at a local ubreakifix store. They are an official Samsung repair center so all the parts are OEM. They took a picture of my id and that was it.

That's so great! So glad it worked out well for you! That does sound simple and efficient!

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

Just out of curiosity, did it come with one of Samsung's screen protectors as well?

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
The preinstalled ones aren't glass. Glass protectors don't work with the FPS unless it is like a Whitestone Dome with liquid glue.

You learn something every day. It does not have to be glass for me. Juss feel responsive, not take smudges and last. The 3rd I will have to wait and see.

If it does ger scratched up then I will be back here looking for the post on best protectors that cost way less than £100.

As a bit of nostalgia, my first phone, the T29S, after a few years of use, would occasionally power off an not come back on. I found a drop of 3 to 3.5 feet onto an office carpet would get it going again for a few weeks, sometimes months.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You learn something every day. It does not have to be glass for me. Juss feel responsive, not take smudges and last. The 3rd I will have to wait and see.

If it does ger scratched up then I will be back here looking for the post on best protectors that cost way less than £100.

As a bit of nostalgia, my first phone, the T29S, after a few years of use, would occasionally power off an not come back on. I found a drop of 3 to 3.5 feet onto an office carpet would get it going again for a few weeks, sometimes months.
I thought you had a cracked Note but that was the OP

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I thought you had a cracked Note but that was the OP

I have been lucky. My Note 1 taight me about cases and screen protectors when I bent down to re-adjust my backpack contents and the phone bounced down a flight of 20 concrete steps to land face down on gravel on day 3. Those hollow plastice chrome coated corners were a bit dented and there was a small indent on the screen. Barely noticable with the plastic on.
Went to glass for the curved edge ecreens for the applicators the came with and no nonsence.

Seems it has changed again with the 10 (I never had the 9).

That it comes with one built in is fantastic. As long as I can get one that works as well, and can be applied flawlessly, if needed then I am good.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Pretty cool. I have to remember that if I ever break a screen to give it to my sister to replace since she works at a hospital ;)

Sounds like a bit of bad luck as all but when you have a curved screen it does increase the possibility of damage because the glass sits higher than the frame... what Corning calls the "proudness" of a phones screen. The Samsung's screen is very "proud." :p. Samsung was willing to sacrifice a bit of strength for design.

Glad to hear rumor saying the smaller Note 20 may be going flat glass... better for finding more usable tempered glass alternatives. Wish they would do that with the Note 20+.

When Corning makes claims of their Gorrilla Glass... keep in mind they are basing it on certain thickness of glass and shape... like the GG5 claims were based on 0.6mm glass and flat while some phone manufacturers may use thinner glass. Samsung used 0.5mm and 0.4mm in the S9 and S9+. How high the glass sits about the phone, which Corning calls the "Proudness" of the glass, obviously increases it's change of damage.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Pretty cool. I have to remember that if I ever break a screen to give it to my sister to replace since she works at a hospital ;)

Sounds like a bit of bad luck as all but when you have a curved screen it does increase the possibility of damage because the glass sits higher than the frame... what Corning calls the "proudness" of a phones screen. The Samsung's screen is very "proud." :p. Samsung was willing to sacrifice a bit of strength for design.

Glad to hear rumor saying the smaller Note 20 may be going flat glass... better for finding more usable tempered glass alternatives. Wish they would do that with the Note 20+.

When Corning makes claims of their Gorrilla Glass... keep in mind they are basing it on certain thickness of glass and shape... like the GG5 claims were based on 0.6mm glass and flat while some phone manufacturers may use thinner glass. Samsung used 0.5mm and 0.4mm in the S9 and S9+. How high the glass sits about the phone, which Corning calls the "Proudness" of the glass, obviously increases it's change of damage.

Flat glass won’t make the FPS more compatible with Traditional tempered glass protectors unless they move away from ultrasonic FPS.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Flat glass won’t make the FPS more compatible with Traditional tempered glass protectors unless they move away from ultrasonic FPS.

It's not a matter of making it more compatible for the FPS that I'm thinking about... It's just since as far back as Note 8, finding a good tempered glass for these curved displays have been difficult with only one real clear solution due to using the UV activated liquid that helps keep from any air gap to exist between protector and display even if the glass protecor isn't perfect.

I assume that there hasn't been any issue with that glass protector described above working with the FPS so I guess that another one will work.. The problem is that curved glass protectors never fit great accommodating the curved edges causing air pocket between protector and display. As long as you can get a protector that can provide the tightest of seals with a good fitting protector it shouldn't have issues... We'll have to see.

I've tried a couple of times to use a tempered glass on my Note... Each time I had to give up because it seem flat to the glass but becsuse it really wasn't at some place on the the curved edge, there would eventually be a lift somewhere creating a gap somewhere on the display where touch would not register.

I've put a countless number of glass protectors on various Gen iPhones and because it doesn't have to deal with designing over a curved edge like the Samsung's, I never ran into a bad protector that would cause touch issues.

That's why the phones that come with a cheap protective film from Samsung which people have kept on and works with FPS because the film fits perfectly with no air gap so a protector is doable.

The Note 20+ I know is not rumored to have a flat display so I'll oroabsky have to go with a spigen plastic like I have in past.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It's not a matter of making it more compatible for the FPS that I'm thinking about... It's just since as far back as Note 8, finding a good tempered glass for these curved displays have been difficult with only one real clear solution due to using the UV activated liquid that helps keep from any air gap to exist between protector and display even if the glass protecor isn't perfect.

I assume that there hasn't been any issue with that glass protector described above working with the FPS so I guess that another one will work.. The problem is that curved glass protectors never fit great accommodating the curved edges causing air pocket between protector and display. As long as you can get a protector that can provide the tightest of seals with a good fitting protector it shouldn't have issues... We'll have to see.

I've tried a couple of times to use a tempered glass on my Note... Each time I had to give up because it seem flat to the glass but becsuse it really wasn't at some place on the the curved edge, there would eventually be a lift somewhere creating a gap somewhere on the display where touch would not register.

I've put a countless number of glass protectors on various Gen iPhones and because it doesn't have to deal with designing over a curved edge like the Samsung's, I never ran into a bad protector that would cause touch issues.

That's why the phones that come with a cheap protective film from Samsung which people have kept on and works with FPS because the film fits perfectly with no air gap so a protector is doable.

The Note 20+ I know is not rumored to have a flat display so I'll oroabsky have to go with a spigen plastic like I have in past.
Been using Whitestone Dome since the S10, Note 20 and now the Ultra and they work great.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I've heard very positive things about it... I just didn't want to mess with the UV hardened liquid and the possibility of having to peel it off and the residue. I just personally prefer a clear full adhesive like my experience with ones on iPhones that seal perfectly tight and remove without residue. I may cave and give it a try if I get the Note 20.

That reminds me, in my experience with non-Whitestone tempered glass for the Note... what's witch the adhesive only being on the edges on the couple I've tried??!! Don't remember how deep I looked into it but lame not to be fully adhesive and can't believe it would affect pen or touch by being fully adhesive. Maybe just impossible to adjust if it was fully adhesive??

Been using Whitestone Dome since the S10, Note 20 and now the Ultra and they work great.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I've heard very positive things about it... I just didn't want to mess with the UV hardened liquid and the possibility of having to peel it off and the residue. I just personally prefer a clear full adhesive like my experience with ones on iPhones that seal perfectly tight and remove without residue. I may cave and give it a try if I get the Note 20.

That reminds me, in my experience with non-Whitestone tempered glass for the Note... what's witch the adhesive only being on the edges on the couple I've tried??!! Don't remember how deep I looked into it but lame not to be fully adhesive and can't believe it would affect pen or touch by being fully adhesive. Maybe just impossible to adjust if it was fully adhesive??
There's no residue

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I've been using Dome screen protector since the s8+, it's a very good protector and my opinion the best out there . Little expensive but with these curved screen couldn't find better product.

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site

Used the £10, edge only adhesive, glass protectors on my Note 8 for years and they were really good. I think I replaced twice after knocks. Responsive for touch and pen.
Apparently no good for on screen fingerprints though. so will see how the built in one lasts before investigating again.

ezapper2

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Just curious if many people have cracked their Note 10 screen. I've had every note since the 5 and dropped them all many times without damage. Yesterday I cracked my 2nd Note 10 screen. Both were right in the corner with the Samsung rugged case on. Seems odd.

Yes i agree. I got a scratch on the front of the screen from my pocket on day 2. Within 2 months I cracked back and front.

This was not an issue with my other notes and very surprised since it was the best gorilla glass of its time.

Repair cost almost half the cost of a new phone so I've been rolling with an ugly broken screen white note 10+

Any thoughts for good and cheap 1 day repair service?

ezapper2

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Yes i agree. I got a scratch on the front of the screen from my pocket on day 2. Within 2 months I cracked back and front.

This was not an issue with my other notes and very surprised since it was the best gorilla glass of its time.

Repair cost almost half the cost of a new phone so I've been rolling with an ugly broken screen white note 10+

Any thoughts for good and cheap 1 day repair service?

I still can't believe that we are in a decade of solutions but phone manufacturers are still delivering phones they get cracked screens everyday. They give us beautiful looking phones and expect us to use monster cases to protect them. I just don't get it. I want a beautiful looking phone and I don't want to have to worry about it breaking for 2 years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol