Do any of you use micro SD card?

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I have always used an SD card up until the Note 10+ but I have so many mp3's in various places now that I'm thinking of putting my 32gb class 10 card back in, I'm just not sure if it slows the read down to any noticeable amount.

Dave_BG

Apr 22, 2020
Visit site
SD cards (both standard and micro) are designed to be written to relatively few times. The reason most failures happen is due to people constantly deleting and rewriting to the card. That's one of the main reasons we don't recommend formatting them as adoptable storage. Some apps are writing data quite often to maintain their current state (useful for multitasking and app switching). The internal storage is built to handle that much data writing and rewriting, but can kill the SD card in short order.

I do not agree. I have been using dash cams in car video recorders (Car DVR) systems for more than 10 years now and the cards are being written and deleted with high bandwidth of video files constantly, entirely and for many many hours per day since the cameras are used in company cars. None of the cards have failed.

I do not think you can easily break a card by writing to it.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I do not agree. I have been using dash cams in car video recorders (Car DVR) systems for more than 10 years now and the cards are being written and deleted with high bandwidth of video files constantly, entirely and for many many hours per day since the cameras are used in company cars. None of the cards have failed.

That may be your case, but the risk is still higher, as evidenced by the number of complaints we see here when it comes to adoptable storage. Photography is another of my hobbies, and it's recommended by the pros to never delete your photos from the SD card for the same reason. If you need to clear the card to use it on another shoot, it's always recommended to reformat it inside the camera so you only rewrite a small area of the card instead of every bit of photo storage.

EDIT: it also may be possible in your case that the dash cam in your vehicles are keeping small loops of video in temp storage/RAM, and only recording to the card when saving a segment for long term (I.e. During a crash event).

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I won't buy a phone without a SD CARD slot. I even thought about going back to IOS and I thought Apple has no SD Card and I thought about it again.

onthehunt

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I still use an SD card. Have the 256G card from an old Note promotion and my 10+ has 512G internal storage. Store mostly pics and video on the SD card. Notes are getting so expensive, I'll probably keep my 10+ for another couple of years before I upgrade. Just want to make sure my storage needs are ok throughout that time period.

Dave_BG

Apr 22, 2020
Visit site
EDIT: it also may be possible in your case that the dash cam in your vehicles are keeping small loops of video in temp storage/RAM, and only recording to the card when saving a segment for long term (I.e. During a crash event).

No mine do not have RAM or internal storage. If the card is out it does not work. I believe the vast majority of cams do not have RAM.

In many EU countries these dash cams are now normal thing to have and imagine the mount of SD cards being used in them.
Also many cams have both front and back camera and write 2 , high bitrate, 1080p or some even 1440p streams on these cards at the same time and last for years and years in the sun and cold of winters no problem.
I have been reading forums about cams and complaints for the SD cards dying are only related if the cards is no-name no-brand or some suspicious way they got it.
Samsung and Sandisk cards are immortal.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

I too have used Sandisk micro SD cards in dash-cams, the last dash-cam used was by Garmin. For whatever inexplicable reason, about 2 different Sandisk cards stopped working on me. Simply stopped working no matter what I tried. My guess is that the cards were fried from being inside a very warm car in the dashcam on the windshield for too long. In summary, it is possible for a memory card to stop working and I've had maaaaaany over the decades for various purposes.

Last edited:

scottishlassy

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
This may be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway. How is everyone using an SD card with the Note 10? There's no slot in the Sim card tray. At least not on my Note 10.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This may be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway. How is everyone using an SD card with the Note 10? There's no slot in the Sim card tray. At least not on my Note 10.
Hi, you have no slot above the sim card to place your sd card? You have the Regular note 10 not the plus or lite?
Only the pus model has sd card slot

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
SD card is for other purposes.
You can take it out.
Put it in the computer.
And copy stuff there.
I don't want a phone without a SD card

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I basically ditched 5G on the Note 10+ for an SD card becase the 5G version didn't support it and I don't need 5 G and It isn't really here yet. Matbe in 3 years that will change.

Same reason as other folks. Peronal media files are all on the SD.Fafourite ingtones and alarms copied fro previous notes, music, pictures.
Burst mode photos and 4k video go to the phone I think for transfer rate speed but I would copy thre relevant content to SD after the fact and delete the dross.

If my phone falls under a bus I want the chance that I can remove the SD and propogate the data to the next one with minimal effort.

Apps also often have options to backup settings to SD when the dettings cannot be recovered by google or samsung app restore.

I will always want an SD card but am not likely to move beyond 256GB any time soon. That gives me a a 2700 song local playlist and a good 5 years of photos so far at 15% capacity

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance