SD card's encryption issue after Android 11 One UI 3.0 update on Note 10+

AzNote

Jan 31, 2021
Visit site
Update: Got solution

--------
I think just got the solution....

What I did:

Went to Encrypt Decrypt SD Card option under the Settings... then tapped on the option Encrypt SD card, it took just two to three minutes to complete the encryption process. And then all files are accessible now.

I think running the encryption process fixed the issue.
---------

Hello,

Updated my phone to One UI 3.0 (Android 11) on 19 Jan 2021. Then on 24 Jan 2021, transferred all my camera images and files on my Download folder to SD card. All the files are are showing on SD card but can't be open. Gallery app is showing the images as unsupported. Music apps (Samsung Music, Play Music and 2 other media apps unable to play music files). Newly transferred files and the old files, none are opening.

I am able to create new folder on the SD card but unable to copy any files from SD card to internal storage, giving an error in the notification panel "Unable to copy file" when selecting a file from the SD card and tapping the Copy here button on the internal storage.

My SD card was encrypted, but after the last update, it is showing the Encrypt now option on the SD card encryption decryption settings (I think it is detecting my SD card as NOT encrypted).

Restarted my phone several times, but no results.

Anyone facing this issue? Or, any solution to this issue?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I wonder if this might be a Scoped Storage issue. https://www.androidcentral.com/what-scoped-storage. How did you move the files? Are you able to use the Gallery app itself to move photos from Internal Storage to the SD card? The problem with Scoped Storage is that a given app might not have permission to access files on the SD card if the files aren't in a directory that the app itself created (or has permission to access).

AzNote

Jan 31, 2021
Visit site

What I did:

Went to Encrypt Decrypt SD Card option under the Settings... then tapped on the option Encrypt SD card, it took just two to three minutes to complete the encryption process. And then all files are accessible now.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

What I did:

Glad to hear that, make sure you back those things somewhere else , when sd cards go out usually no warnings.