After updating to UI 3.0 on my Note 10 the media control (volume) rocker toggle on upper left edge no longer functions properly: slow, unpredictable, no longer useable. Alternatives for volume control are very clumsy. Tried restarting, changing sound settings,...

Any ideas?
    02-17-2021 09:35 AM
    Thank you for taking the time to register. It is very useful in trying to communicate. Oh and welcome to AC.

I think your question may have slipped through the cracks because it isn't posted in the Note forum. We'll request a move so that other Note users can see it and perhaps help you more than here in the general Ask A Question area.

In the meantime, I haven't seen mention of this issue so it could be just a bug after the update. Doing something like wiping the cache partition might take care of it. This link will take you those instructions... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...KcQ9HiompezBu9
    @B. Diddy please move this to the Note 10 forums.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    02-20-2021 10:09 PM
    After updating to UI 3.0 on my Note 10 the media control (volume) rocker toggle on upper left edge no longer functions properly: slow, unpredictable, no longer useable. Alternatives for volume control are very clumsy. Tried restarting, changing sound settings,...

Any ideas?
    Hi, welcome to AC!

Try sound assistant app
    02-20-2021 10:22 PM
    One reply suggested a fix for the button. The button is not itself broken - it functions improperly.
    02-20-2021 10:51 PM
    One reply suggested a fix for the button. The button is not itself broken - it functions improperly.
    Sound assistant app is not for broken button it changes the way andriod 11 3.0 Samsung implemented them , but if your volume button function is acting up then try clear cache in recovery first .
    J Dubbs likes this.
    02-20-2021 11:00 PM
    I tried the Sound Assistant app. It is a three-step process (it would be if it worked as intended) and it requires an often obstructing virtual button to be present on the screen at all times. The original function of the media toggle was one-step, no-look, and flawless. The new scheme is pretty close to useless on my Note 10, and volume control is essential.

The real problem is that none of the suppliers involved - Samsung, AT&T and Google - provide any means for taking problem appeals nor fixing them; take no direct responsibility for the functioning of their fairly costy product.

Peter Schwenn
    02-20-2021 11:05 PM
    Clearing the cache partition does not help.

The misbehavior of the volume up/down rocker (dual button) is consistent with the response to the press of either button being delayed by about a second or a little less.
    02-20-2021 11:32 PM
    I tried the Sound Assistant app. It is a three-step process (it would be if it worked as intended) and it requires an often obstructing virtual button to be present on the screen at all times. The original function of the media toggle was one-step, no-look, and flawless. The new scheme is pretty close to useless on my Note 10, and volume control is essential.

The real problem is that none of the suppliers involved - Samsung, AT&T and Google - provide any means for taking problem appeals nor fixing them; take no direct responsibility for the functioning of their fairly costy product.

Peter Schwenn
    Clearing the cache partition does not help.

The misbehavior of the volume up/down rocker (dual button) is consistent with the response to the press of either button being delayed by about a second or a little less.
    For media, you can set the volume button there instead of volume , but as soon as you touch the volume up or down then tap the 3 dots you can control both volume and media at that momentUI 3.0 broke media control toggle function...?-screenshot_20210221-003331_settings.jpgUI 3.0 broke media control toggle function...?-screenshot_20210221-003904_nova-20launcher.jpg
    02-20-2021 11:40 PM
    To repeat, the buttons are mechanically & electronically functional, and I understand how the volume control process is supposed to look and function under UI 3.0.

I understand there is a workaround (and of course I use one because volume control is a necessity), but if one changes volume level often (the usual situation): when changing sound output device, for different content, for intervening phone calls, and for different environments, the method before UI 3.0 was perfect - one-finger, no-look, one-step. The workarounds at least require looking at the screen and interpreting it and at least three manual steps. And in any case, with the button delay I described (about a second), bringing up the visual for the workarounds requires careful attention to the button press, and on my Note 10 often requires more than one try.

Volume control should not require an app or a multi-step procedure, and before upgrade UI 3.0 it didn't. It was more or less an unconscious, no-look, one finger gesture. The new scheme that the designers of UI 3.0 intended is fine (tho there was no good reason for changing the visual), but on my Note 10, because of some programming fault in the recognition of the button presses, it doesn't work reliably or conveniently enough to be of any use.
    02-21-2021 09:31 AM
    Nothing more you can do then what is available
    02-21-2021 09:33 AM
    Reset phone?
    02-21-2021 07:19 PM
    SOLVED: When the UI 3.0 update was installed, the system itself set the Accessability option "Slow Key" ON (which makes no sense - did they imagine all users had lost dexterity?). Hence the delay in press recognition of the media side keys/rocker, whuch in turn mangled their useability.

Anyway, thank you all for the suggestions.

And an advance that introduces a much changed visual because it may look Cool, change for change sake ...
    mustang7757 likes this.
    02-28-2021 09:09 AM
    SOLVED: When the UI 3.0 update was installed, the system itself set the Accessability option "Slow Key" ON (which makes no sense - did they imagine all users had lost dexterity?). Hence the delay in press recognition of the media side keys/rocker, whuch in turn mangled their useability.

Anyway, thank you all for the suggestions.

And an advance that introduces a much changed visual because it may look Cool, change for change sake ...
    Nice , glad to hear it
    02-28-2021 10:49 AM