HELP! Large Vid File MOVED , now Gone:

hardworkpays

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
After recording two 4GB video files (of child's program nonetheless), the file naturally appeared in my DCIM/CAMERA folder. Using QuickPic, I moved to file (using MOVE TO) to another 'pic' folder on file system (KidsProgram) containing all the stuff related to the Kid's program..

Bottom line, the files now appear to be gone.. they are simply NOT in "kidsprogram" folder, and.. are no longer in DCIM/CAMERA folder... I was shocked and not happy.. I thought it might be the SIZE of file, so I recreated same behavior by FTPing a 3.5GB video file (mp4), placing it in Camera folder (its there).. I then did a MOVE TO action, and.... that 3.5GB video file is now nowhere to be found using MYFILES, QuickPic, Gallery, AstroFileManager, and ESFileExplorer. tried to see if it was "hidden".. doesn't pull up.. I searched entire phone using app tools (and USB connectivity) and .. nothing. I'm sad... Any ideas on how I can find, possibly retrieve this mysteriously gone video???

hardworkpays

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Correct, yes, using 'stock' camera app.. sorry.. didn't give specs.. Note 10, Android 11.. No major recent updates (last day or so), but.. I don't have any history on this since.. I NEVER move large files from camera folder.. Usually, I just UPLOAD them from camera folder TO ONE DRIVE, etc. Just a one-off situation that.... may have bitten me, but .. yes my friend, I used stock camera app to create about a 32minute video... There were TWO of them, and I believe I glanced and saw that each was around 4GB. Thanks for reply B. Diddy... Need ya help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
OK, and can you confirm they were being saved to Internal Storage rather than the SD card? If it was an SD card, I'd be concerned about a corrupt card, or possibly a counterfeit card (that is actually much smaller in size than it claims to be).

I'm always VERY wary of using the Move command, especially with very large files. The problem with Move (rather than Copy) is that regardless of the outcome of the file operation, the original file will likely be deleted. So if the Move operation glitches or fails, the original file might be gone as well. It's always safest to use the Copy command, and then delete the original when you've confirmed that the operation was successful. (But I also understand that with such large files, you might not have had enough free space to do a Copy.)

Also, the larger the file (and 4 GB is HUGE for a single file), the higher the possibility of some kind of data transfer error.

hardworkpays

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Yes, saved to internal drive... I had the space and should have just KEPT them there... I usually (when I get on wifi), UPLOAD all significant vids to ONE DRIVE, then delete from phone... that's kind of my space management, but... I have/had plenty of space.. Just wanted to corral those program vids to a programvids folder... Silly action.. I RARELY MOVE anything out of camera folder to another folder on internal drive... Yes, I'm all 'internal' drive.. about 228 GB total.. I have plenty of free space still.. When I recreated my large file MOVE TO, I noted space free BEFORE I did the MOVE TO, then space free afterwards and space free did decrement. :-( Which tells me (at least OS) is truly "deleting" that file. thanks for reply, and thanks to moderation for moving my post to appropriate place.

Also, I rarely use QuickView to move stuff around.. I usually file manage using MYFiles. ouch!!

hardworkpays

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
quick pic folder itself.. ?? no. Its not there.

I've scanned entire phone using standard (and a few pc based tools).. Its not being seen by "regular" stuff... I may be seeking DEEP undercover type of solutions my friend...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
quick pic folder itself.. ?? no. Its not there.

I've scanned entire phone using standard (and a few pc based tools).. Its not being seen by "regular" stuff... I may be seeking DEEP undercover type of solutions my friend...
In my files App you have hidden folders toggle on? Or maybe try different file manager like total commander from play store see if you can find them?

hardworkpays

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I'll try Total Commander... I have QuickView (not really file manager), ES Explorer, Astro (paid version).. yes, I did try the HIDDEN files option... You know much about ROOTING.. is there anything about THAT process that might give me better "visibility" to stuff in my situation?? thank you for reply my friend..

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'll try Total Commander... I have QuickView (not really file manager), ES Explorer, Astro (paid version).. yes, I did try the HIDDEN files option... You know much about ROOTING.. is there anything about THAT process that might give me better "visibility" to stuff in my situation?? thank you for reply my friend..
No problem , try total commander .
For root you would have to unlock the bootloader
Which will wipe your device and give any chance to recover none , if you were already rooted be different story .

hardworkpays

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Thank you Brother.. While Total commander has what appears to be a whole lot MORE visibility to stuff.. still no luck in the go to file locations... lots of /dev/xxx/xxx... I'm gonna snoop those areas looking to find any file (or set of files) that could total up to be kinda large. Thank you for not... NO rooting for me!! :)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you Brother.. While Total commander has what appears to be a whole lot MORE visibility to stuff.. still no luck in the go to file locations... lots of /dev/xxx/xxx... I'm gonna snoop those areas looking to find any file (or set of files) that could total up to be kinda large. Thank you for not... NO rooting for me!! :)
B. Diddy can guide you more with total commander

hardworkpays

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Hey B Diddy.. Anything to add with respect to use of Total Commander ? Seems like a pretty comprehensive file manager... No luck in finding my stuff but... Looks like it has more visibility.

hardworkpays

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
THANK YOU everyone for your help with this situation.. The file was indeed GONE.. none of the tools worked, and... the file simply wasn't there.. Bottom line, if you have a VERY large media file (over 3.5GB):

1. DO NOT MANAGE/MANIPULATE movement of that file using 3rd part image viewing tools
2. If you do, use COPY function instead of MOVE. confirm file is where it needs to be, then delete from original location.
3. if possible use file manager tools like MYYFILES, Total Commander, etc. to move/copy files around not tools like QuckPic, Gallery, etc.

I've now re-created this issue tens of times and YES, its real. A file size of greater than 3.5GB, when MOVED (using 3rd part tools), will will simply DISAPPEAR (the file and the allocated space).

Again, thank you.. ADMINS, you can consider this matter closed.