Unlocked vs Carrier

LdotAdot13

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
So... I ordered the unlocked version because I was offered a $600 trade in value as opposed to the $300 value on Verizon. My question, what advantages or disadvantages does the unlocked have versus the Verizon?

bigpapa7272

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I did the same,. if it wasn't for the 600 trade on pixel 3 I probably wouldn't have bought it.

I don't understand Samsung financing.. i tried for that due to upgrade program however I couldn't get approved but affirm approved me so I said. The heck with the upgrade program but took the Samsung premium care.

However Samsung have me the credit instantly I just took the ear buds for free probably should have taken the tablet

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You still get all the Verizon features like WiFi calling, Volte etc. Only thing won't work is Verizon video calling or something like that (who uses that ). And unlocked version is cleaner bloat free compared to Verizon version.

Only difference is Verizon version will get updates faster than the US unlocked model because that's how crazy Samsung rolls.

bigpapa7272

May 27, 2010
Visit site
You still get all the Verizon features like WiFi calling, Volte etc. Only thing won't work is Verizon video calling or something like that (who uses that ). And unlocked version is cleaner bloat free compared to Verizon version.

Only difference is Verizon version will get updates faster than the US unlocked model because that's how crazy Samsung rolls.

Actually ok with that.. one thing I've learned with pixel 3 is these monthly updates not always the best for phone performance

PhabPhan

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
So, thanks to this chat, I cancelled my Verizon carrier preorder, and bought the unlocked model (for that $600 trade-in). First time ever using an unlocked model. Hopefully I won't notice any difference in use.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
If I had an option I undoubtedly would have gone unlocked. Financially I'm on a carrier lease setup and it cost me 0 to preorder.

LdotAdot13

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
So, thanks to this chat, I cancelled my Verizon carrier preorder, and bought the unlocked model (for that $600 trade-in). First time ever using an unlocked model. Hopefully I won't notice any difference in use.

That's awesome!!! I know there's people who had no clue about the extra trade in value!

IslandGuy

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Question: Is the unlocked blue version only compatible with AT&T and Verizon? I am trying pre-order the blue thru Samsung and on check out it only gives AT&T and Verizon as activation options.

Last edited:

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Question: Is the unlocked blue version only compatible with AT&T and Verizon? I am trying pre-order the blue thru Samsung and on check out it only gives AT&T and Verizon as activation options.

No that's just what Samsung has integrated on their website. It works works with all carriers just like previous versions. All the carrier and unlocked model is essentially the same in terms of radios and chipset inside them.

Also there is no reason or advantage in selecting activate on the Samsung. Just put your sim from the previous phone and good to go. Unless you have a very old phone and want the new sim.

IslandGuy

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
No that's just what Samsung has integrated on their website. It works works with all carriers just like previous versions. All the carrier and unlocked model is essentially the same in terms of radios and chipset inside them.

Also there is no reason or advantage in selecting activate on the Samsung. Just put your sim from the previous phone and good to go. Unless you have a very old phone and want the new sim.
Thanks bud!

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I too pre-ordered the unlocked N10+ 256GB from Samsung, paying $500 after the $600 N9 trade-in. But I'm getting a Samsung Credit of $150 rather than $200. How did others get $200?

IslandGuy

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I too pre-ordered the unlocked N10+ 256GB from Samsung, paying $500 after the $600 N9 trade-in. But I'm getting a Samsung Credit of $150 rather than $200. How did others get $200?
Got $200 for registering for pre-order prior to pre-orders going live.

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
can I still use TMobile Tuesdays on the unlocked model? Those are some pretty neat little perks they give weekly. Would kinda suck to lose that on the unlocked model.