Unlocked vs Carrier

blopez24

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I've used unlocked phones different brands so went with unlocked because att won't give us blue and I got more trade in value for that over a carrier model.

IslandGuy

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I've used unlocked phones different brands so went with unlocked because att won't give us blue and I got more trade in value for that over a carrier model.
More trade-in value, the colour I want, and totally free of bloat-ware. Don't think I will order thru a carrier ever again tbh.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Unlocked is definitely the way to go. If for whatever reason your carrier gimps functionality on the unlocked version, you can always flash your carrier's firmware after you try it out free of bloat.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Side note: If you activate the included sim your carrier will most likely charge you an activation fee. Just swap your current sim instead. Hit skip no matter the carrier you use.
Yeah, anything to do with carrier I'll nicely say no thanks but in my mind I'm like **** the carriers

But I don't think they charge the fee in this case, they only charge if it comes as an upgrade on your line. All Samsung does if you choose the option, is add the Verizon or AT&T sim to your order free of cost and once you receive the phone you can use the new sim and call your carrier to activate that sim. And they don't charge for that. You still have the option to ignore the new sim card and just use old one if you want. I have changed sims and activated new sims with no charge.

When in doubt, don't do unless you need the new sim

Last edited:

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Last I recall on AT&T, you can't use WiFi calling with an unlocked device. It sucks, and that's how they get you. I need to have WiFi calling. Or else, I would be sitting here happy with a pre-ordered Note10+ 512GB in Blue. And I think the HotSpot also, I've never needed a hotspot from my phones, so I am not sure if that's still an issue too.

GrumpyMomofMacR

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
How is the update situation on an unlocked phone? I am currently getting security updates and fixes on AT&T in a timely manner, more or less, and don’t want to lose that. But I do hate being screwed over on the trade in value of my S10+.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You still get all the Verizon features like WiFi calling, Volte etc. Only thing won't work is Verizon video calling or something like that (who uses that ). And unlocked version is cleaner bloat free compared to Verizon version.

Only difference is Verizon version will get updates faster than the US unlocked model because that's how crazy Samsung rolls.
Wouldn't the video calling work with Verizon messages?

Do you know if Samsung's find my mobile will work on Verizon? Verizon blocked install on Verizon S10 plus. I know I can use Google find my device but find my mobile has more features.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Funny guy lol
Unlocked will work for all 4 carrier, some features might be missing like video chat ,RCS texting,wifi calling, but that's it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12