New and improved Samsung DeX

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Samsung introduced new features for DeX at Unpacked.

At its Unpacked event today, Samsung announced that it is bringing a DeX app to PC and Mac alongside the new Galaxy Note 10. The app will act as a way for your phone and PC to communicate with one another, including dragging and dropping files and interacting with mobile apps.

From Samsung:

Galaxy Note10 extends Samsung DeX's capabilities, making it easier for you to work between your phone and a PC or Mac. With a simple, compatible USB connection, you can drag and drop files between devices and use your favorite mobile apps with a mouse and a keyboard, while keeping your data secure on the phone through Samsung Knox.

In addition to the DeX app, Samsung says you'll be able to "link to Windows" directly from the Galaxy Note 10's Quick Panel. Once linked, you'll be able to see notifications, messages, and look at recent photos without having to pick up your phone. Later this year, Microsoft says you'll also be able to make and receive phone calls from your PC.

My question is, will you use DeX more now that this has been implemented? On the surface, it does seem kindly silly. I mean, why would I want to plug in my phone to use a PC like experience when I already have a PC there in front of me but it does have its use cases. I'm just not sure if this is the thing to really drive more users to DeX.

criminal_bg

Jul 12, 2019
Visit site
i actually like the new features Dex brought and the name of the app Microsoft uses "your phone" which gives more connectivity between phone and computer is nice as well.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I probably wouldn't use this at home very much, since I'd be using the new Microsoft integration to send texts (and eventually make calls) from my computer.

I WOULD use DeX with my work computer though, since I can now send personal emails, texts and such from my phone, but presumably using my work laptop's touchpad and keyboard. Pretty excited about both of these new features!