08-26-2019 08:45 AM
29 12
tools
    I purchased a Samsung unlocked aura blue 10+ on the pre-order. The reason for this is the 350 trade in (200 more than xfinity) and the 200 bucks in freebies (2 cases and a smart things Camera)

Xfinity says you can't BYOD to an existing line. The techs on Xfinity forums say it might work, but you might be missing some features like wi-fi calling, VOLTE, etc. not a big deal. Others have said they said the same thing for the S10 but it worked for them.

I went to the store today and the manager said they can make it work as long as its CDMA unlocked. I looked at the specs and there are a bunch of CDMA listings on the network.

I guess I'm going to take a chance. If it doesn't work I'll return the phone and just keep using my Note 8 until they get the BYOD Android thing all worked out. Maybe wait for the S11. If it works, great!!

The reason I am with xfinity is because I use less than a GB of data a month and my bill is 12.00 a month.

Anyone else taking the chance?
    lsmith9523 likes this.
    08-11-2019 01:43 PM
    I'm with Xfinity Mobile also took the chance, based on the response another XM poster got from XM. I got the Aura Blue unlocked and thinking that it's not a matter of Xfinity not being able to use an unlocked phone on existing lines but rather a preference of not wanting to take the time to do it on a massive scale. When I read the XM forums it seems to be done on a case-by-case basis.
    Borgie likes this.
    08-11-2019 02:04 PM
    I'm with Xfinity Mobile also took the chance, based on the response another XM poster got from XM. I got the Aura Blue unlocked and thinking that it's not a matter of Xfinity not being able to use an unlocked phone on existing lines but rather a preference of not wanting to take the time to do it on a massive scale. When I read the XM forums it seems to be done on a case-by-case basis.
    I'm hoping so, won't be holding my breath though. I've been a customer of theirs (tv and internet) for 20 years, hoping they try extra hard LOL
    08-11-2019 02:08 PM
    I have an S10e unlocked which I put on an XM line with no issues. I even have used a Pixel 3a XL on an XM line. They recently seem to have greatly improved their support for BYOD Android phones -- even if they don't technically support it.
    Borgie likes this.
    08-11-2019 02:41 PM
    I just talked to someone @ XM and they told me the unlocked Note 10/10+ are not compatible with XM. I was a tad annoyed with that since I just pre-ordered it from Samsung since it was a better deal. I also do not like ordering phone through the carriers. I am switching from iphone so I will just have to try it when it arrives.
    Borgie likes this.
    08-11-2019 05:33 PM
    I just talked to someone @ XM and they told me the unlocked Note 10/10+ are not compatible with XM. I was a tad annoyed with that since I just pre-ordered it from Samsung since it was a better deal. I also do not like ordering phone through the carriers. I am switching from iphone so I will just have to try it when it arrives.
    Well they have 12 days to get it comatible
    Shelacios and Nostromo79 like this.
    08-11-2019 05:46 PM
    Any phone that will work on Verizon will work on Xfinity, because Xfinity uses Verizon as the carrier. Whether the Verizon-specific functions work is another matter. (I use Mint - 3GB for $15/month, so it really doesn't pay for me to change for $36/year. But they're on TMobile, so most GSM phones will work, and I get coverage everywhere I need coverage.)
    Nostromo79 likes this.
    08-11-2019 06:43 PM
    I made a visit to the store yesterday to discuss this. They said when I get the phone to bring it in and they will make it work. So we will see I guess.
    Nostromo79 and nuangel2 like this.
    08-12-2019 10:10 AM
    Since I just did this again today -- I have an unlocked S10e. I shut the phone down, pulled out my T-Mobile SIM and replaced it with an Xfinity Mobile SIM. I powered the phone up, it noted the new SIM card and downloaded the Xfinity Mobile information, and then rebooted itself. After it powered back up, I sign in and the phone shows it is on "Xfinity Mobile" and VoLTE is turned on. I've seen no issues using my S10e on Xfinity Mobile and it should be the same with the Note 10 and Plus -- you shouldn't need to do anything but replace the SIM, there shouldn't even be a reason to talk to anyone at Xfinity.
    Shelacios likes this.
    08-16-2019 03:58 PM
    Since I just did this again today -- I have an unlocked S10e. I shut the phone down, pulled out my T-Mobile SIM and replaced it with an Xfinity Mobile SIM. I powered the phone up, it noted the new SIM card and downloaded the Xfinity Mobile information, and then rebooted itself. After it powered back up, I sign in and the phone shows it is on "Xfinity Mobile" and VoLTE is turned on. I've seen no issues using my S10e on Xfinity Mobile and it should be the same with the Note 10 and Plus -- you shouldn't need to do anything but replace the SIM, there shouldn't even be a reason to talk to anyone at Xfinity.
    Was your S10E originally on another carrier and unlocked, or did you purchase the phone directly from Samsung unlocked. I'm told thats the issue. Bring an unlocked phone from another carrier, no issue. Bring an unlocked phone directly from Samsung and there are issues. My phone will be hear mid week so I guess I will find out for use.
    08-16-2019 05:41 PM
    Was your S10E originally on another carrier and unlocked, or did you purchase the phone directly from Samsung unlocked. I'm told thats the issue. Bring an unlocked phone from another carrier, no issue. Bring an unlocked phone directly from Samsung and there are issues. My phone will be hear mid week so I guess I will find out for use.
    My phone was Unlocked from Samsung.
    Borgie likes this.
    08-16-2019 06:06 PM
    My phone was Unlocked from Samsung.
    Thanks for your post. I'm going to do the SIM card route first before I do anything else, and see if it works. If not, head to the Xfinity store, which hopefully will be more helpful than the call center, who can't fix the voicemail on my Note8 (they say it's a Samsung issue).
    08-16-2019 06:47 PM
    Does WiFi calling work on your S10e with Xfinity?
    08-17-2019 12:49 AM
    Does WiFi calling work on your S10e with Xfinity?
    I didn't have it on but have turned it on and it says it will use it.
    08-17-2019 01:18 AM
    Return the phone within 10 days to be safe.
    08-17-2019 10:56 AM
    I have all my Devices on Xfinity now. The only devices they BYOD are unlocked iPhones.
    Anything other than that where I live and there's 3 stores in a 7, 20, 25 mile radius. None would do any devices than iPhones.
    I love their service. But I just think they want to to buy an Android device from them.

Got the S10 plus, A50 and Note 9.
    Purchased my Note 10 plus from Sprint. Merger perk awaits🤔
    If not I'll take it somewhere else.
    But Xfinity saved me a lot Money.
    08-17-2019 11:02 AM
    I have all my Devices on Xfinity now. The only devices they BYOD are unlocked iPhones.
    Anything other than that where I live and there's 3 stores in a 7, 20, 25 mile radius. None would do any devices than iPhones.
    I love their service. But I just think they want to to buy an Android device from them.

Got the S10 plus, A50 and Note 9.
    Purchased my Note 10 plus from Sprint. Merger perk awaits
    If not I'll take it somewhere else.
    But Xfinity saved me a lot Money.
    I'd have no issue buying from them if they gave me the same deal Samsung did. 350 back for my note 8 xfinity would only give me 125. Thats a big chunk of change.
    Shelacios likes this.
    08-17-2019 11:24 AM
    We switched 2 Note 8s and 1 iphone 8 from Verizon to Xfinity last month. I'm very happy with the switch and looking forward to figuring out how to spend that extra $140 we are saving over Verizon. 2 phones are on the $45 plan is 1 is on the by the gig plan. My wife has never used over 1 gig of data in all of her years of using a phone, so it is safe for her. The teenager uses 6-8 per month and i use 2-4, so we ought to be good.
    Nostromo79 likes this.
    08-17-2019 11:46 AM
    I didn't have it on but have turned it on and it says it will use it.
    To update, when I looked at the lockscreen on my S10e today, in the upper corner where it has the carrier name it says,"XM WIFI" -- so Xfinity WiFi Calling is definitely working on my unlocked S10e.
    08-20-2019 04:40 PM
    Well I will find out tomorrow. If it doesn't work I am thinking about trying Google Fi. If I lose a couple features, so be it. I don't make a lot of calls so if I lose wifi calling, not a huge deal.
    08-20-2019 08:23 PM
    Well I will find out tomorrow. If it doesn't work I am thinking about trying Google Fi. If I lose a couple features, so be it. I don't make a lot of calls so if I lose wifi calling, not a huge deal.
    Give us all the deets tomorrow please! I don't get my phone until 8/22.
    Borgie likes this.
    08-20-2019 08:24 PM
    So I took the phone to Xfinity today. They can't do it the "right" way until Friday when its actually released. But the guy said just switch the SIM and then come in Saturday and we'll take care of everything on the back end. The SIM switch worked. Haven't played with it much yet to see if everything works. Currently doing smart switch so I will report more later when I have a chance to mess around.
    08-21-2019 06:12 PM
    So I took the phone to Xfinity today. They can't do it the "right" way until Friday when its actually released. But the guy said just switch the SIM and then come in Saturday and we'll take care of everything on the back end. The SIM switch worked. Haven't played with it much yet to see if everything works. Currently doing smart switch so I will report more later when I have a chance to mess around.
    Everything seems to be working fine except the wi-fi calling. The toggle is there but it won't activate when you turn it on. Visual voicemail works (had to download the app again) the auto switching from LTE to xfinity hot spot works. talk and text work fine. It does still say I have a Note 8 in my xfinity account. Overall i would say a success. Not having wi-fi calling doesn't bother me.
    08-22-2019 11:55 AM
    Everything seems to be working fine except the wi-fi calling. The toggle is there but it won't activate when you turn it on. Visual voicemail works (had to download the app again) the auto switching from LTE to xfinity hot spot works. talk and text work fine. It does still say I have a Note 8 in my xfinity account. Overall i would say a success. Not having wi-fi calling doesn't bother me.
    So were they able to fix the wifi calling for you?
    08-25-2019 09:00 AM
    So were they able to fix the wifi calling for you?
    Yes, we did a reset of the network settings on the phone. Did not take care of the issue where my phone shows up in their system as my Note 8. Its a whole convoluted process with an unlocked phone from Samsung and might take an hour or two, so since everything was working fine we just skipped it. The only issue that might cause is if i ever want to switch plans (which I don't plan on doing).

He said I could call Samsung and get them to do something to make the phone a Verizon phone rather than unlocked, then the IMEI would show up in their system as compatible. Screw it, everything works so it's fine the way it is.
    08-25-2019 09:12 AM
29 12