Sorry if this is a silly question but...

I had been with T-Mobile since 2001 and left them over the weekend. With that said, on my iPhones and Galaxy devices, I have been able to be on a phone call but also use data services at the same time.

I remember using a friends phone last year (I think it was Verizon) and I was surprised that I wasn’t able to do the same. Now that I am with ATT and have an unlocked phone on order from Samsung (Note 10+), will I be able to continue doing the same as I did with T-Mobile?

Thanks!
    08-11-2019 06:12 PM

I had been with T-Mobile since 2001 and left them over the weekend. With that said, on my iPhones and Galaxy devices, I have been able to be on a phone call but also use data services at the same time.

I remember using a friends phone last year (I think it was Verizon) and I was surprised that I wasn’t able to do the same. Now that I am with ATT and have an unlocked phone on order from Samsung (Note 10+), will I be able to continue doing the same as I did with T-Mobile?

Thanks!
    Hi , thanks for registering!
    I have unlocked on my note 9 and used both att and tmobile fine .
    08-11-2019 06:14 PM

Thanks!
    Was your friend with Sprint? CDMA phones have to have a second radio to do both, and when we were with Sprint a few years ago, Sprint had taken out the second radio for its LTE. So you couldn't be on a call and using data. I know they were working on a fix for that so I assume that has been addressed since we've been on the network. I believe that Verizon which is also a CDMA system had already found a workaround for its phones. Someone who can say all this in more technical terms should chime in.
    G Y likes this.
    08-11-2019 06:30 PM
    Was your friend with Sprint? CDMA phones have to have a second radio to do both, and when we were with Sprint a few years ago, Sprint had taken out the second radio for its LTE. So you couldn't be on a call and using data. I know they were working on a fix for that so I assume that has been addressed since we've been on the network. I believe that Verizon which is also a CDMA system had already found a workaround for its phones. Someone who can say all this in more technical terms should chime in.
    It may have been Sprint. I appreciate the helpful info.
    08-11-2019 06:52 PM
    There was a time when CDMA couldn't do voice and data simultaneously, but it's been a while. There's a possibility if your friend was using an older phone that it still could've been hampered. Either way, AT&T uses GSM, and voice and data has never been an issue on GSM networks.
    G Y likes this.
    08-11-2019 06:52 PM
    Not recently. Originally, no one could do voice and data at the same time. (Before that, there was no such thing as mobile data - if you wanted an internet connection, you called your ISP, using a dial-up connection.
    08-11-2019 08:53 PM
    You can use voice and data on T-Mobile/AT&T/Verizon without issue.
    nuangel2 likes this.
    08-11-2019 09:49 PM
    It may have been Sprint. I appreciate the helpful info.
    Your friend definitely was on Sprint. They are the only major carrier that can't do simultaneous talk/data. Use to until they decided to switch up their Network. Big mistake in my opinion.
    08-11-2019 10:57 PM
    Depends. On Verizon I can do simultaneous voice and data if I'm on 4G or wifi. If I'm on 3G or 1x, forget it. It doesn't work
    08-11-2019 11:20 PM
    Depends. On Verizon I can do simultaneous voice and data if I'm on 4G or wifi. If I'm on 3G or 1x, forget it. It doesn't work
    Yea 3G doesn't allow for talk/data. Didn't happen until they got 4G. Haven't seen 3G on any of my phone I'm years.
    08-12-2019 07:13 AM
    This is a non issue for GSM carriers but the problem still exists for CDMA carriers in some of the locations.
    08-12-2019 10:39 AM
    Tell you the truth I didn't think this was a issue anymore .
    08-12-2019 10:42 AM
    Tell you the truth I didn't think this was a issue anymore .
    Only if on 3g and a CDMA carrier like Verizon or Sprint.

Or well technically with Sprint they are still struggling to even get volte truly going because.. Sprint.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    08-12-2019 01:40 PM
    Only if on 3g and a CDMA carrier like Verizon or Sprint.

Or well technically with Sprint they are still struggling to even get volte truly going because.. Sprint.
    Gotcha ...
    08-12-2019 02:55 PM