Surprised no Samsung or media comments about the speakers...

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
... To the point I'm wondering if I encountered a new device placebo. The speakers to me sound even better than the Note 9 and even Best Buy jaded staff commented they were surprised.

Why no Samsung mention at the event, nor media feedback? Some of us like sugar pills?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
... To the point I'm wondering if I encountered a new device placebo. The speakers to me sound even better than the Note 9 and even Best Buy jaded staff commented they were surprised.

Why no Samsung mention at the event, nor media feedback? Some of us like sugar pills?

Lew at Unbox Therapy mentioned they sounded better than past Samsung devices during his hands-on.

I also saw something today that said that hole at the top is for the stereo speakers.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Still, why would Samsung not tout it? Anything to get the 3.5 jack removal offset in consumer's minds helps. I only listened to the N10+, so not sure about the N10.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
From what I have read, the extra hole at the top is a microphone for the the 3d zooming video audio.
That's what I thought as well at first. I even posted it in a thread on here somewhere, but according to sammobile.com it's for the loudspeaker/stereo speaker.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
From what I have read, the extra hole at the top is a microphone for the the 3d zooming video audio.

I think that's the third microphone that is on the rim of the 3 camera setup on the back of the phone. Apparently you can barely see it especially if your phone is black. At least that is what one of the reviewers said they were told by Samsung at the Unpacked event.

There is a pinhole on top for the second microphone but that is used for noise cancelling, like it has been, I think?

The big hole on top I have also heard is a chamber for the speaker since the ear speaker opening is so thin.

Edit: added link to pic of the 3rd mic.

Third-Microphone-e1565447934991.jpg

Last edited:

AQPerry

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
There's a test of the Note 10+ speakers compared to some other top tier phones currently out, it fared very well, search YouTube under "Galaxy Note 10 Plus Speaker Test!!!"

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
There's a test of the Note 10+ speakers compared to some other top tier phones currently out, it fared very well, search YouTube under "Galaxy Note 10 Plus Speaker Test!!!"

I watched that last night. I was hoping for better, but it did well.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I saw the video, but did not get the same result for S10+ and N10+ sound. N10+ seemed louder and fuller sound. Perhaps settings not on par for the comparison....

LuckiestLiz

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Samsung has never been on top for speaker quality. It always felt to me like a spec they just didn't prioritize. Even with improvements, maybe not mentioning it is just further evidence they don't care as much as some do about speaker quality?