Should we use mirco SD cards on note 10+ or not?

blackmasta

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
yes..it's a must for me. I have a huge amount of music and I am using a 400gb micro sd card for my music. I can't live without a phone with a micro sd card slot.

Vernon Vincent

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
I use a 128 GB MicroSD in my Galaxy S8 - mostly for offline storage of music and podcasts, and for photos. I sync the photos via OneDrive and Google Drive, but I like having the freedom of not worrying about filling up my main phone storage.

SoulRaver

Aug 14, 2019
Visit site
It's funny because I was going to start a thread and ask what kind of micro sd card I should get for my note 10+. I ordered the 512GB version but I tend to take tons of video and almost maxed my current note 9 and 256gb micro sd card in this phone. So from this thread would it entirely not be a good idea?

Robo2019

Aug 15, 2019
Visit site
I am using my SD card. I have so many photos that I've kept from previous phones that it would take forever to transfer them between devices. Just moving the SD card from one device to the other is so much easier.

I am on the fence about this as when my phone broke my SD card became corrupted. I thought I lost the 9000+ photos and 400+ CD albums I had on it. Thank God everything was already backed up with Google. I started to cry in the phone store when the rep brought all my "stuff" back for me!!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I am on the fence about this as when my phone broke my SD card became corrupted. I thought I lost the 9000+ photos and 400+ CD albums I had on it. Thank God everything was already backed up with Google. I started to cry in the phone store when the rep brought all my "stuff" back for me!!
You should always keep backups (preferably multiple), whether you use the SD card or not. If you use the card or not is up to you, but don't rely on it or your phone as your only storage option, as you've seen first-hand.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Add that to the unlimited storage Google gives you when uploading photos with the Photos app.

As for me, I don't think I will ever use an SD card in a phone ever again. I've been burned a few times to get me to not use them anymore.
I agree ,just dont trust it ...but use to load software updates without computer

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
There are certainly ppl that fall into both use/need and never used/no idea. Personally, storage expansion is critical to me. Just as ppl have said on board memory is all they need, but if that device is broken your pix, downloads, etc are all lost. Some will go for cloud upload of pix which is good, but you have to pay for that in MOST cases. I also store music on my phone. 20-30GB of it. The whole purpose of having local music is to avoid excessive data usage, or when data isn't even available. The lack of microSD card combined with the gross look and boring/no features have stopped and will continue to stop me from even considering a Pixel. Especially at flagship prices. As for using on the Note, clearly I would.
Most music does not take you a lot of space unless you are storing high resolution files which I do. As to streaming, unlimited data plans solve the using up data issue.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
It's really up to you and what your needs are. My n9 is 128 gb , but I got a 256 gb card free with another phone so I've been using it, but since my n 10 will be 256 gb I probably won't need to use it this go round. With all my music and pics I'm barely using 37 gb of my card.

DBMaSterRWB

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I still use SD cards and Cloud storage. I find it terribly convenient to store my photos and documents on the SD card and it also allows me to move many of my apps to the SD card, freeing up more internal memory. I tend to have a wee bit more apps installed on my phone than the average user. 😁

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I still use SD cards and Cloud storage. I find it terribly convenient to store my photos and documents on the SD card and it also allows me to move many of my apps to the SD card, freeing up more internal memory. I tend to have a wee bit more apps installed on my phone than the average user. 😁

Do Not move your apps to memory card on note 10
Internal memory on note 10 is ufs 3.0 Wich is 5 times faster than your external storage
You'll slow down your phone , plus with 256 gb at least + sd card , there's no need to transfer the apps even if you have 500 apps on your phone
Here's a memory comparison
https://fossbytes.com/ufs-3-0-features-comparison-microsd/

Jimruns262

Jul 21, 2017
Visit site
I use them when I travel. I download several movies into them and then when I'm in a area where there is little or no cloud/internet access, I have my movies and can fully utilize my internal storage on my trip. Plus, I have the SD cards in a wallet separated by genre and I can switch out and see whatever I want, when and where ever I want. They do indeed serve a purpose.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Do Not move your apps to memory card on note 10
Internal memory on note 10 is ufs 3.0 Wich is 5 times faster than your external storage
You'll slow down your phone , plus with 256 gb at least + sd card , there's no need to transfer the apps even if you have 500 apps on your phone
Here's a memory comparison
https://fossbytes.com/ufs-3-0-features-comparison-microsd/
Not only this, but apps constantly write to their storage locations, which will cause an SD card to corrupt prematurely. It's so risky that even in the photography world, they recommend reformatting the card between sessions instead of deleting the photos. The reformat only rewrites the registration files, leaving the actual photo data alone, and thus saving write cycles.

cache11

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I am using my SD card. I have so many photos that I've kept from previous phones that it would take forever to transfer them between devices. Just moving the SD card from one device to the other is so much easier.

That's what I thought to until I lost 5,600+ pictures during a phone swap. I'll never use an SD card again. With 256gb of base storage I'll have 4 times the storage I have ever used.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If I were to use one it would be strictly be for media from apps. Things I could replace.

Photos? Hell no.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Out of curiosity, but does the note 10 + support this card?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...2Fmb-fa256g-am-mb-fa256g-am%2F&token=F-REa4ib

Would this be a better replacement as a better micro sd card to use instead? I have a 512GB SD card and I do tend to take lots of footage and I do editing as well, but would this card work with the 10+ for everyday use?

UFS cards are only compatible with devices supporting UFS cards. I don't think the N10+ supports it. I could be wrong though.

fredwardnelson

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
SD cards only slow down your phone if you put apps on it. I have videos, photos, documents on my sd card on my Note 9, never have any slow downs or lag at all. I get all the read/write tech speak but just from experience it doesn't slow it down, try it for yourself and see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC