Irises and Face Recognition gone

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Well, keep in mind we never had secure facial recognition on any Samsung phone. We did have the insecure face scan done by the front facing camera, but to my knowledge that's still available on the Note 10 and 10+.

I missed the iris scanner for awhile, but I got used to the front facing fingerprint scanner on the S10+ and it is WAY more convenient, despite the higher failure rate.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I liked the iris scanner. I'm not saying I'll miss it. But when we had it, I used it.

Same here. I currently use it on my Note8, and paid with the FPS on the back, it is a good combo for me. I might miss it on the Note10+ that I have ordered. I never used the face unlock.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I was never a fan of that Iris... I won't miss it...

iris scanner never worked with my glasses on, which I have to wear. I tried it once in the morning, light on and no glasses and it worked nice.

I never tried the facial option.

Last edited:

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
It never worked with my glasses on, which I have to wear. I tried it once in the morning, light on and no glasses and it worked nice.

I never tried the facial option.
I'm using facial on S10+ now it's fast though I'm not sure how secure... Lol

We need to get iPhone style which I'm hearing coming to the new Pixel 4... Let's see more of it upcoming phones...

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Wow... Paranoid thread. Burned out eyes and broke into phones with photos.

Thankfully there are other options, like fingerprint, codes, and patterns. Plus double protecting the data by putting it into the secure folder with a different access method. Its unlikely someone could fake your face, and your pattern/pin.

Of course twins are screwed on all of the biometrics methods.

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Iris scanner I think was pretty secure, you could use for Samsung pay , it was regular face unlock that wasn't secure.

And how was it not secure since it needed your face to complete transactions. Your mom or dad cant get into your phone or complete a transaction with their face right?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
And how was it not secure since it needed your face to complete transactions. Your mom or dad cant get into your phone or complete a transaction with their face right?
The iris scanner is secured, regular face unlock wasn't because if someone resembled your face they could probably can get in . Iris scanner used your eyes which was much much harder .

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
The iris scanner is secured, regular face unlock wasn't because if someone resembled your face they could probably can get in . Iris scanner used your eyes which was much much harder .

Right. With Samsung face unlock you could spoof it with a photo. With iris scanning someone would need to take a high res photo of you and put contact lenses over the eyes, and then maybe it would work.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

Well technically its not secure because a simple photo can trick the phone. But as you pointed out, the average thief or busybody still won't be able to get into the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc