Usage Scenarios. What will you use the S Pen for?

thefoss

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm a big traditional pen and pad type of guy. I have the Galaxy Tab S4 and plan on getting the S6. Note 10+ on the way. What are some typical, and out of the box usage scenarios you can describe using the S Pen and Note Screen?

Notes:
We have the obvious hand writing input, photo editing, drawing and note taking uses. But I have yet to find a SIMPLE app that lets me recreate the ability of flipping open a note pad or notebook and just start jotting down things. Some suggestions? My ideal scenario would be that a notes app opens every time I eject the S Pen and this app is just a simulated notebook sheet. No needing to start a new project, give it a name, assign it a category, ect. When I finish I can just close the app and it'll be there where I left off. And I can "flip" through the pages like a real notebook to find things I've already written. Perhaps tabs and bookmarks. Anybody have some suggestions to accomplish this?

Other Scenarios:
I like the pen gestures features! There's another thread here discussing ideas for that specific ability. What about file management, games? Ect..

What are YOU going to use your note for?

stuckingoo

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I will point with it at meetings to make a point. Then casually stir sugar in my coffee and then take meeting notes on my phone with it. Hopefully with many people looking at me. This thing is waterproof right?

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Try Microsoft one note. It saves in real time so no need to worry about losing work. I have mine set up to sync with one note on my work laptop as well (I use a tablet PC for work). It also had the ability to attach photos and documents (as prints) and you can ink on them. I used to use this back in college for notes and came in really handy if the professor provided PDF versions of the lecture slides. I would just print them to the appropriate page and then ink my own notes on top of the documents.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Screenshot_20190820-070617_Air command.jpg
Here is my settings of the Spen shortcuts. Tapping the onenote shortcut takes me directly to last onenote note that I worked on. That onenote is synced across my laptop, note9 and Note 10.1(2014l

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Another vote for One Note. I have a huge file at work and it's indispensable. Can save files and emails forever and easy to find. I've used my phone to take notes, send it to myself, move the image to a one note page (before I just synced). I can view all this on my phone a well.

I haven't found a real life notebook like one since Moleskine removed their app.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Mainly jotting little notes, sometimes to smart select something on screen, remote camera control. same basic usage as my Note 9 and prev Notes.

Cheers,
BR

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Probably use it the most with the writing on the offscreen. Usually when I think of something while I am trying to go to bed and don't want to forget it in the morning.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I would only use the pen for annotations, such as drawing an arrow or circle, or "this way stupid" type of thing. My two new laptops, a Thinkpad 2-in-1 hybrid and a Surface Go, both have stylus digital pen writing ability. But I hardly ever use my stylus pens on my laptops. Even when I owned the Note 2, 3, 4, I only used the pen minimally. On my current S9 phone, I don't miss the stylus pen. That said, I'd still rather have a stylus pen than not, even if I hardly use it.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I have been using the S Pen since the days of the Note 8 tablet (not the Note 8 phone).

I have been using the handwriting recognition for years. The Note10+ will be my 6th Note device with an SPen (tablets and phones). The SPen works great with One Note and Word for taking notes. I take all of my notes for a meeting in OneNote and by the time I am back in my office I have the notes synced to my laptop and phone. I can then easily turn the notes into tasks and assign them to my team. I been using a similar type workflow in three different positions for years.

Taking notes on the phone and tablet are great. People typing on devices during a meeting can be very distracting. Someone taking notes is not and keeps the meeting flow going.

I have many other uses of the SPen, but the above is my main use.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I have been using the S Pen since the days of the Note 8 tablet (not the Note 8 phone).

I have been using the handwriting recognition for years. The Note10+ will be my 6th Note device with an SPen (tablets and phones). The SPen works great with One Note and Word for taking notes. I take all of my notes for a meeting in OneNote and by the time I am back in my office I have the notes synced to my laptop and phone. I can then easily turn the notes into tasks and assign them to my team. I been using a similar type workflow in three different positions for years.

Taking notes on the phone and tablet are great. People typing on devices during a meeting can be very distracting. Someone taking notes is not and keeps the meeting flow going.

I have many other uses of the SPen, but the above is my main use.

I still have my Note 8 Tab :)

bryantj3303

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
Just got my first Note last week and am still learning how it all works. Since I'm always looking for a pen and paper to jot down notes and have found the S-Pen really useful for jotting down notes, especially in the screen off mode. I just wish that I could return to the same note after the screen has turned off again without unlocking the phone. I also like the text to type function and am looking forward to learning how the S-Pen can be even more useful.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Just got my first Note last week and am still learning how it all works. Since I'm always looking for a pen and paper to jot down notes and have found the S-Pen really useful for jotting down notes, especially in the screen off mode. I just wish that I could return to the same note after the screen has turned off again without unlocking the phone. I also like the text to type function and am looking forward to learning how the S-Pen can be even more useful.

Here are some tips. It's for the N8 but I hope it gives you some ideas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyclYqtnrzY

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca