waste of money on 3rd party 45 chargers

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
From what I'm reading, the charger, cable, and device (the 10+ only in this case) have to be compatible to get the full 45W power. Even still, I think it's a waste of money. From the few reports from those that have successfully used even Samsung's own 45W charger at full speed, the total difference in charging times 0-100% was minimal. Since most use is going to be with partial charges, the time difference would be even less, if not unnoticeable.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Yo don't unless you put an ammeter/voltmeter in line with the charger cable. The phone and the charger negotiate for the maximum voltage the phone can take, and the maximum the charger can supply. When they get to one they can both handle, that's what they charge at. Until the state of charge changes, then the phone will negotiate a higher or lower charge. This goes on until the battery is fully charged of you disconnect the charger. (Not every second - you can look at the meter and see the charge current and voltage stay the same for long periods, but at different points in the charge process, the phone will negotiate for more or less charge.)

Multiply the voltage by the amperage and you have the wattage. There's almost no inductance or capacitance, it's almost purely resistive, so W = E * I.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
From what I'm reading, you need a 45W (or more) charger that had PD 3.0. and the cable needs to be a USB 3.1 cable. Allegedly some USB 2.0 cables come with the eMarker that provides the communication for this technology, but they are probably rate as it was not required of the spec. Trying to find such a cable is confusing on Amazon. A lot of the products put ambiguous language in the descriptions.

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Whats also disappointing is the non Samsung chargers that are 45w don't even charge at 25w. They charge the Note 10 at the same old charging speeds as previous Samsung phones.....15w. I compared my charger to the 45w charger I bought on Amazon and it was the same time until full charge.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Yep. It's all about safety. Samsung isn't taking any chances with these batteries. They can't afford another Note 7 debacle.

I'm good with the 25 watt charger myself. Looking forward to it.

gyounk

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
For charging - I only buy the Samsung branded products to ensure compatibility. No sense trying cheap third party ones. This tech is too new to rely on non-samsung.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
For charging - I only buy the Samsung branded products to ensure compatibility. No sense trying cheap third party ones. This tech is too new to rely on non-samsung.

Actually PD 3.0 was specified as early as June 2012. It's likely been limited mainly for use in laptops. Cables and chargers for it are already out there, but deciphering it is a little difficult and sellers may not even fully understand it. There does appear to be a number of chargers and cables that are capable of the power requirements, but we're not built with PD 3.0 in mind. PD 3.0 is a day charging technology that also has an extra layer of safety such that all devices mist have all of the correct hardware. There is even a 5A version for charging at 100 Watts.

Not trying to say it's a bad idea to stick to Samsung parts for this, but I think many people are still not clear on the required specifications and what parts to look for. And seller ads aren't much help either as I'm finding a lot of really poor descriptions so far.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
We went through this with the switch to QC2.0 charging and from micro-USB to USB-C cables. This will eventually work itself out, but will take time.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
good thing I read this, I was thinking about getting a third party charger after seeing what the delivery date would be on the genuine one.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Whats also disappointing is the non Samsung chargers that are 45w don't even charge at 25w. They charge the Note 10 at the same old charging speeds as previous Samsung phones.....15w. I compared my charger to the 45w charger I bought on Amazon and it was the same time until full charge.
I assume you meant note 10+, the note 10 does not have 45 watt charging

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Guys frankly speaking seeing how fast the 25w charger charges the Note 10 plus its very very good for daily use... Even compared to 30w charger of one plus with 4000 mah battery...

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
From what I'm reading, the charger, cable, and device (the 10+ only in this case) have to be compatible to get the full 45W power. Even still, I think it's a waste of money. From the few reports from those that have successfully used even Samsung's own 45W charger at full speed, the total difference in charging times 0-100% was minimal. Since most use is going to be with partial charges, the time difference would be even less, if not unnoticeable.
For short charging times where you're low on battery it should actually make more of a difference because it slows itself down as your battery gets more full. If you're at 5%, you'll notice a difference in the speed.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
From what I'm reading, you need a 45W (or more) charger that had PD 3.0. and the cable needs to be a USB 3.1 cable. Allegedly some USB 2.0 cables come with the eMarker that provides the communication for this technology, but they are probably rate as it was not required of the spec. Trying to find such a cable is confusing on Amazon. A lot of the products put ambiguous language in the descriptions.
I think there's actually an extra requirement too. From what I've been reading, not only do you need PD 3.0 and PPS. You also need PPS that supports up to 4.5A. Most only support 3A which is the problem. Apparently upping the amperage and keeping the voltage lower helps with heat. So it'll be a min before everyone catches up with the requirements. Got to use the Samsung one for now.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
For short charging times where you're low on battery it should actually make more of a difference because it slows itself down as your battery gets more full. If you're at 5%, you'll notice a difference in the speed.
If your phone is at 5%, you'll soon have other problems, like an expensive battery replacement in 6 months. Phones shouldn't be allowed to drop below 40% if possible (no lower 25% in extreme cases, should something prevent charging right away), and the 45W charger apparently starts slowing down at around 50%. So for those following best practices, there's only a 10% window of full charge rates.

Even if not being strict to those, most people aren't letting their phones nearly die on a regular basis. Not to mention chargers are everywhere, and Li-ion batteries love partial charges. So save your money and stick with the stock charger at home or wherever you may need some speed. Then charge on the way to work, or charge at work. If you know you're going to be somewhere without the ability to charge for a long time, charge it extra ahead of time.

Does the 45W charger have some benefits? Sure. Does it have $50 worth of benefit (plus whatever a compatible cable costs)? Not for the average user. Right now it's mostly for bragging rights.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670