Samsung Dex on Note 10

Missalyssa928

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
So I hooked up a Belkin USB C hub with a keyboard and mouse and monitor to my brand new Note 10+ and was actually able to use it like a desktop/laptop. I currently have spotify playing on a bluetooth speaker while typing up this post! Nice!!!!!

Attachments

• 26625.jpg
    26625.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 61

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
So I hooked up a Belkin USB C hub with a keyboard and mouse and monitor to my brand new Note 10+ and was actually able to use it like a desktop/laptop. I currently have spotify playing on a bluetooth speaker while typing up this post! Nice!!!!!

That is so cool! No other phones have this capability!

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Is this what the link to windows app leads to?

No, that's different. As of the Note 10+, DeX is two slightly separate things.

1. The "old" DeX where you connect a usb-C to HDMI cable to an external monitor or TV, and get a Desktop interface.
2. New DeX,where you plug your phone into a computer via usb-C to usb-C (or usb-C to usb-A, if that's all your computer has), and install the Samsung DeX app on your Windows or Mac computer. The app on your computer will act as a "monitor" and let you control your phone from your computer, but with a desktop-like interface. Also you can drag and drop files from your computer into the DeX window.

Hope that helps! You should try DeX out, it's pretty great. I'm using it right now to post (using method 1).

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

I use my tab s4 for DeX every time I have to write a paper or do a presentation. In don't even wish I had a computer. (I use a curved 27 inch monitor I got for $150 at Costco)

Martog

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
I tried using the desktop app and put the phone into transfer file mode like it said to but the app on the desktop won't recognize the phone. Not much troubleshooting documentation yet on this thing.

marc0nline

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I tried using the desktop app and put the phone into transfer file mode like it said to but the app on the desktop won't recognize the phone. Not much troubleshooting documentation yet on this thing.

Did you install the USB Debugging driver during installation?

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Yup DeX is one of the best features on Samsung flagship devices. Definitely makes the asking price that much more worth it compared to other flagships.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I love being able to use DeX on my desktop PC. I was able to work on some things on my PC, and then do things on my phone without having to constantly pick up the phone. Really a great feature!

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
So when you are using Dex on your computer are you using the internet connection from your phone or from the computer?

Unless there's something on under the hood that I'm not aware of, DeX uses your phone's Internet connection. I can tell because when I use it with my Macbook at work, I'm able to use DeX to access sites that are blocked by my work's internal network.

(No, not those sites. For some reason my work blocks any web page related to alcohol, which is annoying when my coworkers and I are planning happy hour. DeX was useful for this.)

7h3d34f0n3

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
Unless there's something on under the hood that I'm not aware of, DeX uses your phone's Internet connection. I can tell because when I use it with my Macbook at work, I'm able to use DeX to access sites that are blocked by my work's internal network.

(No, not those sites. For some reason my work blocks any web page related to alcohol, which is annoying when my coworkers and I are planning happy hour. DeX was useful for this.)

Awesome my company blocks so much there are a ton of broken web pages now. Mostly looking for the ability of playing downloaded Spotify playlists from my phone through Dex. I had a lot of playlists downloaded on my work computer before the IT department put the end to that working.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
No, that's different. As of the Note 10+, DeX is two slightly separate things.

1. The "old" DeX where you connect a usb-C to HDMI cable to an external monitor or TV, and get a Desktop interface.
2. New DeX,where you plug your phone into a computer via usb-C to usb-C (or usb-C to usb-A, if that's all your computer has), and install the Samsung DeX app on your Windows or Mac computer. The app on your computer will act as a "monitor" and let you control your phone from your computer, but with a desktop-like interface. Also you can drag and drop files from your computer into the DeX window.

Hope that helps! You should try DeX out, it's pretty great. I'm using it right now to post (using method 1).

I'm curious, why aren't you using method #2 - DEX via a Windows computer?