09-27-2019 04:10 PM
51 123
tools
    So I hooked up a Belkin USB C hub with a keyboard and mouse and monitor to my brand new Note 10+ and was actually able to use it like a desktop/laptop. I currently have spotify playing on a bluetooth speaker while typing up this post! Nice!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Samsung Dex on Note 10-26625.jpg  
    jamezr, Xxwabbit, Vizi and 4 others like this.
    08-21-2019 07:29 PM
    So I hooked up a Belkin USB C hub with a keyboard and mouse and monitor to my brand new Note 10+ and was actually able to use it like a desktop/laptop. I currently have spotify playing on a bluetooth speaker while typing up this post! Nice!!!!!
    That is so cool! No other phones have this capability!
    08-21-2019 08:50 PM
    Is this what the link to windows app leads to?
    08-21-2019 08:52 PM
    Is this what the link to windows app leads to?
    No, that's different. As of the Note 10+, DeX is two slightly separate things.

1. The "old" DeX where you connect a usb-C to HDMI cable to an external monitor or TV, and get a Desktop interface.
    2. New DeX,where you plug your phone into a computer via usb-C to usb-C (or usb-C to usb-A, if that's all your computer has), and install the Samsung DeX app on your Windows or Mac computer. The app on your computer will act as a "monitor" and let you control your phone from your computer, but with a desktop-like interface. Also you can drag and drop files from your computer into the DeX window.

Hope that helps! You should try DeX out, it's pretty great. I'm using it right now to post (using method 1).
    ravi_us and Serkle K like this.
    08-21-2019 09:05 PM
    I use my tab s4 for DeX every time I have to write a paper or do a presentation. In don't even wish I had a computer. (I use a curved 27 inch monitor I got for $150 at Costco)
    Missalyssa928 likes this.
    08-21-2019 10:02 PM
    I tried using the desktop app and put the phone into transfer file mode like it said to but the app on the desktop won't recognize the phone. Not much troubleshooting documentation yet on this thing.
    08-21-2019 10:06 PM
    I tried using the desktop app and put the phone into transfer file mode like it said to but the app on the desktop won't recognize the phone. Not much troubleshooting documentation yet on this thing.
    Did you install the USB Debugging driver during installation?
    08-22-2019 07:21 AM
    Did you install the USB Debugging driver during installation?
    I ended up removing Dex and the USB drivers and installing again and it worked.
    08-27-2019 09:30 PM
    Yup DeX is one of the best features on Samsung flagship devices. Definitely makes the asking price that much more worth it compared to other flagships.
    08-27-2019 10:14 PM
    I love being able to use DeX on my desktop PC. I was able to work on some things on my PC, and then do things on my phone without having to constantly pick up the phone. Really a great feature!
    kuhawksr1 likes this.
    08-27-2019 10:24 PM
    Here is the link to download Samsung Dex for Windows or MAC.
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=G8JzF5Bx
    toenail_flicker, EMGSM and gyounk like this.
    08-27-2019 10:48 PM
    So when you are using Dex on your computer are you using the internet connection from your phone or from the computer?
    08-29-2019 06:00 PM
    So when you are using Dex on your computer are you using the internet connection from your phone or from the computer?
    Unless there's something on under the hood that I'm not aware of, DeX uses your phone's Internet connection. I can tell because when I use it with my Macbook at work, I'm able to use DeX to access sites that are blocked by my work's internal network.

(No, not those sites. For some reason my work blocks any web page related to alcohol, which is annoying when my coworkers and I are planning happy hour. DeX was useful for this.)
    08-29-2019 06:10 PM
    Unless there's something on under the hood that I'm not aware of, DeX uses your phone's Internet connection. I can tell because when I use it with my Macbook at work, I'm able to use DeX to access sites that are blocked by my work's internal network.

(No, not those sites. For some reason my work blocks any web page related to alcohol, which is annoying when my coworkers and I are planning happy hour. DeX was useful for this.)
    Awesome my company blocks so much there are a ton of broken web pages now. Mostly looking for the ability of playing downloaded Spotify playlists from my phone through Dex. I had a lot of playlists downloaded on my work computer before the IT department put the end to that working.
    08-30-2019 09:29 AM
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=Lo0Yrl8f
    Thank you.
    08-30-2019 12:52 PM
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=yvbLMfmq

thanks from me too. are there instructions on how to do this? haven't seen any yet.
    08-30-2019 12:54 PM
    No, that's different. As of the Note 10+, DeX is two slightly separate things.

1. The "old" DeX where you connect a usb-C to HDMI cable to an external monitor or TV, and get a Desktop interface.
    2. New DeX,where you plug your phone into a computer via usb-C to usb-C (or usb-C to usb-A, if that's all your computer has), and install the Samsung DeX app on your Windows or Mac computer. The app on your computer will act as a "monitor" and let you control your phone from your computer, but with a desktop-like interface. Also you can drag and drop files from your computer into the DeX window.

Hope that helps! You should try DeX out, it's pretty great. I'm using it right now to post (using method 1).

I'm curious, why aren't you using method #2 - DEX via a Windows computer?
    08-30-2019 01:25 PM
    OK, I find that Dex is more useful than Link to Windows.
    08-30-2019 01:55 PM
    OK, I find that Dex is more useful than Link to Windows.

When you say "Link to Windows" are you referring to the "Your Phone" app? If so, Your Phone app is a total joke compared to Dex to Windows computer setup.
    08-30-2019 02:06 PM
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=ZOddZd_t
    Thank you for the link
    runfar262 likes this.
    08-30-2019 02:21 PM
    When you say "Link to Windows" are you referring to the "Your Phone" app? If so, Your Phone app is a total joke compared to Dex to Windows computer setup.
    Yup that's the one.
    08-30-2019 02:44 PM
    I'm curious, why aren't you using method #2 - DEX via a Windows computer?
    Mostly because I bought a cheapo monitor, HDMI to USC-C cable, and BT keyboard awhile ago, and I figure I might as well use them. Also there's a slight lag with method 2. Since my DeX-purposed monitor is right next to my laptop anyway, I usually just opt for the direct connection.
    08-30-2019 02:49 PM
    Yup that's the one.
    That app is in serious need of improvements and much more functionality, haha!
    08-30-2019 03:00 PM
    Mostly because I bought a cheapo monitor, HDMI to USC-C cable, and BT keyboard awhile ago, and I figure I might as well use them. Also there's a slight lag with method 2. Since my DeX-purposed monitor is right next to my laptop anyway, I usually just opt for the direct connection.
    Hmm, interesting. Does the lag only happen upon startup? Or is there a lag whenever you click on something?
    08-30-2019 03:01 PM
    That app is in serious need of improvements and much more functionality, haha!
    I agree. I was expecting more.
    08-30-2019 05:32 PM
51 123