VoLTE and HD voice ATT

pgood4

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
You can still use the internet while on a call, it just drops down to slower speeds I believe. Not optimal, but not bad as well. Just tried it and speed for internet type stuff was pretty good.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Flashing Firmware is NOT for the faint of heart! YOU MUST READ, READ, READ! It can get very confusing too. Do this at your own risk!

Sage advise! If in doubt do NOT flash your phone, you CAN render it useless!

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
You can still use the internet while on a call, it just drops down to slower speeds I believe. Not optimal, but not bad as well. Just tried it and speed for internet type stuff was pretty good.
My experience was different. No page would ever load & YT just had a spinning circle that went on & on.

pgood4

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, just tried youtube and it worked fine as well. Actually surprised by the speed, almost makes it seem like i'm getting lte speeds. Experience has been good so far, maybe more of a location thing.

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, just tried youtube and it worked fine as well. Actually surprised by the speed, almost makes it seem like i'm getting lte speeds. Experience has been good so far, maybe more of a location thing.
Did you turn off wifi? It does work with wifi but not for me when turned off. Otherwise I probably just have crappie service at my house (which is why I need wifi calling).

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Did you turn off wifi? It does work with wifi but not for me when turned off. Otherwise I probably just have crappie service at my house (which is why I need wifi calling).

Mine works fine off of wifi as well, guessing you were in a poor signal area. It shouldn't be a problem, but yeah, if you have bad signal, you probably need wifi calling, etc, so the unlocked model isn't ideal.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
You're right but I saw Dollar Signs when Samsung offered $600. For my Note 9 as opposed to offering $350. When I ordered an AT$T model.

I can understand that. That's ultimately why I went through BestBuy for my preorder. They gave a better trade-in for my Note8, for the AT&T Note10/+. They originally had a better offer, even with the $200 Samsung pre-register incentive.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site

Yeah, same reason I need WiFi calling. My house and most client sites I visit have terrible indoor service, so I get by better when on their wifi.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
It's things like this that make me hate AT&T. Being in Texas they are tops when it comes to coverage and capacity/spectrum and they are almost a necessary evil. I had an unlocked Note 9 and knew HD Voice/VOLTE and advanced messaging would not be available but I went ahead and bought the unlocked Note 10+ anyhow due to the $600 trade in for my Note 9. However after also using a S10+ the last few months for my work phone its been nice having HD Voice and advanced messaging/RCS. Strongly considering returning it and going with the AT&T version but I really don't want to give up my free Galaxy Buds I got with the promotional credit.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
It's things like this that make me hate AT&T. Being in Texas they are tops when it comes to coverage and capacity/spectrum and they are almost a necessary evil. I had an unlocked Note 9 and knew HD Voice/VOLTE and advanced messaging would not be available but I went ahead and bought the unlocked Note 10+ anyhow due to the $600 trade in for my Note 9. However after also using a S10+ the last few months for my work phone its been nice having HD Voice and advanced messaging/RCS. Strongly considering returning it and going with the AT&T version but I really don't want to give up my free Galaxy Buds I got with the promotional credit.

You shouldn't have to give up your freebies. I had issues with the Note7 before the recall and I exchanged it for the branded one and a slight defect with my first Note8 and exchanged that too. I kept my freebies... and I was also able to take advantage of the early exchanges, and get extra freebies.

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
OK. I just finished successfullyflashing the AT$T firmware on my unlocked Note 10+. I haven't flashed anything for at least a couple of years and that was on my S8+.
Here's was happened:

1. The Flashing process went easily and was uneventful. Success first time trying. So happy about this! After flashing (before anything else) partially set up the phone without doing any logins or putting the SIM card back into the N10+ I verified that the ATT Firmware was successful.
2. Immediately after inserting my AT$T SIM (from my old Note 9), a popup appeared and asked if I wanted to set up Wifi Calling. Setup worked perfectly!
3. I also saw the 4G LTE icon where before I saw LTE and when on a call "H" for HSPA+ service. YUCK!
4. Made a call to a friend and he said HD Voice was working. Wifi calling worked and call was crystal clear (not last night. Sounded muffled and the 1st call dropped. Remember, I do not have great AT$T service at my home).
5. While on the call with the friend, I turned off Wifi but the call itself was still using wifi calling. Once again I could not get a webpage to load or youtube to load. They just timed out trying. I couldn't get AT$T Visual Voicemail working either
6. I decided to reboot the N10+ and then used SmartSwitch to transfer info from my Note 9. After that process was done, Surprisingly Visual Voicemail worked (& even still had my personal greeting from the Note 9 setup). Also, I can now Surf the net with Wifi off when on a Phone Call!

I am thrilled that I do not have to return this Unlocked Note 10+! I really love the phone but if I can't use it as a phone then it's worthless to me.

I am still supposed to be able to get the OTA (Over The Air) ATT software updates too. One thing that could happen is when ATT updates their system and I lose Visual Voicemail or one of the other ATT-specific features. If that does happen, I might just have to re-flash the software. I'll deal with that if/when it happens.

Just to let you all know, I did a ton of research on flashing by looking at the most recent Samsung Phone's (S10+, S9, Note 9, etc.) discussion threads on flashing. This XDA-Developers discussion was super helpful & contained the AT$T firmware. I suggest that if you want to try flashing & have never done it, you must read every post. You should read every post anyway. Lots of questions/answers and great info there (this is the link I posted above too & many posts have been added):
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-10+/how-to/n975u-n975u1-firmware-links-t3957648

I'll wait a day or 2 before I pack up my Note 9 for trade-in return just to make sure...

Good Luck All!

State48Diver

Aug 23, 2019
Visit site
Just throwing this out there, I seriously doubt it is a true statement, however, AT&T told me if I use the SIM that came with my unlocked phone vs the SIM I took out of my iPhone X, VoLTE and HD Voice will work.

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
So just update on my situation. I ended up yesterday getting the ATT branded Note10+ from BB. I was able to get the same $600 for the S10 trade in plus $150 is Samsung credit. So all I really lost was $50 from the unlocked offer that Samsung gave me.

Now I need to send back the unlocked and all the freebies. Pain in the butt...yes. But I could not stomach having a phone I knew was handicapped out of the box. And I did not want to flash etc. So it was a pretty easy decision.

Good luck to everyone else. Hopefully ATT will accelerate their plans to make Unlocked 1st class devices on their network :)

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
So just update on my situation. I ended up yesterday getting the ATT branded Note10+ from BB. I was able to get the same $600 for the S10 trade in plus $150 is Samsung credit. So all I really lost was $50 from the unlocked offer that Samsung gave me.

Now I need to send back the unlocked and all the freebies. Pain in the butt...yes. But I could not stomach having a phone I knew was handicapped out of the box. And I did not want to flash etc. So it was a pretty easy decision.

Good luck to everyone else. Hopefully ATT will accelerate their plans to make Unlocked 1st class devices on their network :)

How in the world did you get the $600.00 trade-in amount for your S10? That was the big incentive when pre-ordering an Unlocked.
Good for you though! Glad you worked it out. Enjoy your shiny new Note 10+! Woohoo!

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
How in the world did you get the $600.00 trade-in amount for your S10? That was the big incentive when pre-ordering an Unlocked.
Good for you though! Glad you worked it out. Enjoy your shiny new Note 10+! Woohoo!
Best Buy was honoring the higher trade in values Samsung did, even for carrier phones. I got $600 for my Pixel 3 and got the at&t Note 10 too. Plus there was already a $50 discount on the Note 10, so I didn't lose out any

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy was honoring the higher trade in values Samsung did, even for carrier phones. I got $600 for my Pixel 3 and got the at&t Note 10 too. Plus there was already a $50 discount on the Note 10, so I didn't lose out any

Wow, never heard about that. I might have pre-ordered or gone to BB (2 hour drive for me) on 8/23 and got the carrier model...As long as my Unlocked fully works on AT$T, I'm a very happy Note 10+ Owner (and it's Carrier Unlocked!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21