VoLTE and HD voice ATT

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
So got the unlocked version. Was hoping VoLTE and HD Voice would be enabled on the Note10. Sadly it looks like it is not. No wifi calling which I expected. But thought we might get the others.

Any others seeing the same?

pgood4

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm seeing the same thing, but I'm just swapping sim's from my iphone. I'm going to pick up a new sim and call to see if they can enable it.

On another topic, have you figured out anything for visual voicemail. I can't seem to find an app for that.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I take it you have dug around in the settings? In particular, under WiFi & Internet, and/or SIM & Network?

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
Yeah. From how I understand it, u have to see IMS registration to validate VoLTE is enabled. Not even a present status. On my ATT branded S10 IMS status is there.

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm seeing the same thing, but I'm just swapping sim's from my iphone. I'm going to pick up a new sim and call to see if they can enable it.

On another topic, have you figured out anything for visual voicemail. I can't seem to find an app for that.

Yeah have not tried that yet. Have not had luck in the past though with getting it to work on unlocked.

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
This is the thread I wanted to see. Won't have my Note 10+ until later today.
It looks like we'll have to eventually flash the AT$T CSC file if we want those features. I'm wondering if we'll still need to call AT$T to provision anything even with the CSC files loaded?
If you can't find the AT$T Visual Voicemail app in the Play store, apk mirror has it & you can then sideload it.

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
So no VOLTE either on your unlocked?

Nope, no VOLTE on unlocked. I also tested with a call, when phone is on call it drops down to 3G or HSPA+..etc. Does not stay on LTE while on call. So no VOLTE.

It really is ridiculous that they remove ….as much as I want to go unlocked, I might be heading to ATT for a ATT branded version. UGH

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, you won't get those features on the unlocked model unless you flash the at&t software.

That has been my experience in the past. But I have been reading on Reddit that ATT has stated they will be enabling new phones in CY2019 with their carrier service for unlocked phones. with the goal of all unlocked phones enabled. I thought maybe with the Note10, this may be the case. Still frustrated!

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
That has been my experience in the past. But I have been reading on Reddit that ATT has stated they will be enabling new phones in CY2019 with their carrier service for unlocked phones. with the goal of all unlocked phones enabled. I thought maybe with the Note10, this may be the case. Still frustrated!

Yeah I was hoping for this as well, it works fine on the iPhone, and At&t enabled it for the Pixel 3 XL, so there is really no reason for them not to with Samsung phones. But as of yet, they haven't.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I was hoping for this as well, it works fine on the iPhone, and At&t enabled it for the Pixel 3 XL, so there is really no reason for them not to with Samsung phones. But as of yet, they haven't.

The only reason I could see is because it's on phones they offer. The Pixel and Essential phones aren't directly offered by AT&T, so they seems to not care about it being enabled out of the box. But they have more incentive to have to get one of their branded devices for such features over just allowing it on an unlocked device. Just my own .02.

That's why I have had to stick with their branded devices as well. I need that WiFi calling more than anything.

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Here's the link to the NOTE 10+ Firmware files Only thread on XDA-Developers:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-10+/how-to/n975u-n975u1-firmware-links-t3957648

Some other informative links (some are from the Note 9 forum threads since Note 10+ are new but info can still be helpful:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-9/help/flashed-att-firmware-to-unlocked-note9-t3854181

From the 2nd link - this statement:
It's been discussed a lot here. The basic ideal is that AT&T, moreso than any other carrier, likes to restrict features from devices they didn't sell. It's done by the IMEI on the line. Firmware is one part of the equation, as you've discovered, but certain things just will not work without more steps.

Essentially, here's the process: Find a real AT&T device capable of VoLTE. Swap the IMEI of that device onto your line temporarily by placing your SIM card in it. You might also have to call AT&T and have them swap the IMEI on your line while the SIM is in. Have AT&T unblock the VoLTE feature. Put the SIM back in the device you actually want to use.

Some General Info:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-10+/help/models-note-10-note-10-crossflash-t3958047

NOTE 10+ Main Forum on XDA - keep checking back here for more info (otherwise you will still need to go back to a Note 9 forum for the actual flashing directions)
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-10+

Flashing Firmware is NOT for the faint of heart! YOU MUST READ, READ, READ! It can get very confusing too. Do this at your own risk!

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the great information. I am not worried about Wifi Calling, as I have never used, needed ..etc. But why do I care about VoLTE/HDVoice? Is it that big of a deal? I got the unlocked one from Samsung and got a great deal. I can of course send it back and pick up ATT branded one. It will be a big pain in the butt...but will do if I can better understand what use case scenario I am really missing out on.

thanks

pgood4

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I don't have an interest in wifi call, but volte and hd voice are needed. From all the reddit discussion that is what will be enabled. ATT needs to eliminate the 3g services so they kind of have to do this. It's supposed to be by the end of the year, but they tend to be the worst carrier for unlocked devices.

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I don't have an interest in wifi call, but volte and hd voice are needed. From all the reddit discussion that is what will be enabled. ATT needs to eliminate the 3g services so they kind of have to do this. It's supposed to be by the end of the year, but they tend to be the worst carrier for unlocked devices.

I have read the same Reddit threads. I agree, ATT needs to make to happen when 3G goes away. I keep on hearing by the end of the year as well. But never have heard that from ATT directly. So not to confident on that happening soon.

Regarding going without VoLTE, what real use scenarios would I be missing (besides wifi calling which I don't care about)? thanks

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
What I just tested while on a call was to turn off Wifi and try to surf the internet or watch Youtube and nothing would work. My friend said this is what happens with no VoLTE...just like the olden days of Verizon and Sprint. I believe AT$T had VoLTE before them. Also, while on a call, the call dropped once and the connection is certainly not as clear sounding as my Note 9 that was an AT$T branded device. Also while on the call, the service dropped down to "H" which I assume was HSPA+. As soon as I hung up, I then again saw the LTE logo. Great..sucks! I knew I'd be having issues with an Unlocked phone and my AT$T SIM card but not this level of crappiness. I'm going to see if I can flash the AT$T firmware/bloatware tomorrow to see if that does the trick. Otherwise, I'll be returning this Unlocked (and forfeiting the $600.00 trade-in and I guess now the $200.00 credit voucher for Samsung.com).
AT$T just sucks. I read a lot about this beforehand and seemed confident that flashing the ATT firmware will do the trick. I hope that I also don't have to call ATT customer service to try and get them to provision something else on my phone service to get a feature working. I really need wifi calling/VoLTE. UGH!

Regarding going without VoLTE, what real use scenarios would I be missing (besides wifi calling which I don't care about)? thanks

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
What I just tested while on a call was to turn off Wifi and try to surf the internet or watch Youtube and nothing would work. My friend said this is what happens with no VoLTE...just like the olden days of Verizon and Sprint. I believe AT$T had VoLTE before them. Also, while on a call, the call dropped once and the connection is certainly not as clear sounding as my Note 9 that was an AT$T branded device. Also while on the call, the service dropped down to "H" which I assume was HSPA+. As soon as I hung up, I then again saw the LTE logo. Great..sucks! I knew I'd be having issues with an Unlocked phone and my AT$T SIM card but not this level of crappiness. I'm going to see if I can flash the AT$T firmware/bloatware tomorrow to see if that does the trick. Otherwise, I'll be returning this Unlocked (and forfeiting the $600.00 trade-in and I guess now the $200.00 credit voucher for Samsung.com).
AT$T just sucks. I read a lot about this beforehand and seemed confident that flashing the ATT firmware will do the trick. I hope that I also don't have to call ATT customer service to try and get them to provision something else on my phone service to get a feature working. I really need wifi calling/VoLTE. UGH!

I just found it less of a headache to get the AT&T branded version, than to tru to deal with all this and get it setup and working.

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to read the threads and if it just doesn't work out I'll return it and get a carrier model. I love the phone but if the service sucks then it's just not worth it. I originally pre-ordered the AT$T model then cancelled when I saw the $600.00 trade-in when getting the Unlocked. Samsung did a "Bait & Switch" on us anyway with this trade-in price. Such a headache.

I just found it less of a headache to get the AT&T branded version, than to tru to deal with all this and get it setup and working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs