Best way to charge the note 10 plus for battery life?

Chitown28

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Is it best to get your phone down to like 30% then charge it up to 100%? or take it down to under 20% and go to 100% to get the best out your battery.Let us know what do you think the best way to charge the note 10 plus etc.

Relletti

Trusted Member
Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Just try and enjoy the experience. Personally If I need a top off before I leave for work or whatever then I'll plug it in. I believe charging it down to 20 percent and what not is not needed anymore.

cache11

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Get the AccuBattery app. It gives you all sorts on information about your battery along with the best charging methods.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The general guidelines are still to keep the phone between 40-80% whenever possible. If you want to read up on why, this article covers most everything.

https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

It's an older article, but there really hasn't been any ground breaking developments that I'm aware of that changes the recommendations. Li-ion batteries are not deep cycle batteries and prefer a happy medium in all aspects. The article above has best practices for absolute longest life, but the 40-80% phone use guideline is taking real world uses into account. For example, they claim 3.92V is optimal for longevity, but no one wants to plug and unplug their phones constantly to hover around that voltage. You could root and use an app to do this, but that's not an option available to everyone and has other risks too.

If you don't plan to keep your phone long, don't mind wearing out a battery early, or have some special use reason for regularly going outside that range, that's fine as long as you understand that it can have a negative impact on the overall battery life.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Is it best to get your phone down to like 30% then charge it up to 100%? or take it down to under 20% and go to 100% to get the best out your battery.Let us know what do you think the best way to charge the note 10 plus etc.
I've charged my phones from 15 % to 100,
Once in a while 5% to 100 to keep battery calibrated. Never over night charge ...
Haven't had issues at all with my phones
Others say 40 to 80 or 40 to 90 ..I haven't seen evidence that it will last longer that way .
I don't usually charge my phone until some point next day . I could be wrong but that's my experience.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, Accubattery will only drive you nuts making you check you battery status and capacity every few hours. I paid for that app and ended up deleting it because it just gave you anxiety thinking that your battery dies a little each time you charge. I've always figured that by the time the battery has to go, you've already moved on to another phone, so I think just enjoy the phone and don't worry so much about how to charge it best.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
hmmm...for the past 5 years.i always charge my phone overnight and i can say that i havent met any problems so far...

Did that with my Note 5 and had to keep that for 2 years. I can still charge it up and it'll work. Still charge overnight on all my phones.

Of course I have access to chargers and can charge whenever.

Eventually they'll come out with a battery case for the 10 if you need something. They have one for the 9, so I don't see why they wouldn't for the 10, 10+.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
The article cautions that "Lithium-ion has not yet fully matured and is still improving. Notable advancements have been made in longevity and safety while the capacity is increasing incrementally." Yet the most recent date cited for any of the article's data is 2002.

The article above has best practices for absolute longest life, but the 40-80% phone use guideline is taking real world uses into account.
Even if the data is still applicable almost two decades later, I still don't see how it would be worth the trouble of limiting the battery to 40% of its range from the outset, in order to prevent a possible decline of 10-20% after a year or two.

I always fully charge my phone overnight (using a slow charger since there's no hurry). On occasional long drives, the phone is plugged into a car charger while running Google Maps. I rarely need any other charging unless I'm using my phone exceptionally heavily, in which case I top it off when necessary. I've never noticed a significant decline in battery life during the time that I keep a phone.

So I just do what's convenient without worrying about it. That's what the phone is for.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The article cautions that "Lithium-ion has not yet fully matured and is still improving. Notable advancements have been made in longevity and safety while the capacity is increasing incrementally." Yet the most recent date cited for any of the article's data is 2002.

At the bottom of the article, it shows the last update was July of this year. Some of the actual test data may be older, but the test for the results in Figure 6 of the article (which pertain to partial cycling and longevity) were from a research paper in 2016. So I'm not sure where you got the idea that the most recent data is from 2002.

But still, until I see concrete testing showing otherwise, I'll still recommend the 40-80% for best longevity on sealed batteries. If you go outside those ranges, it doesn't guarantee an early reduction in capacity, but the risks begin to escalate the further outside the range you go and the longer you stay outside it.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
At the bottom of the article, it shows the last update was July of this year. Some of the actual test data may be older, but the test for the results in Figure 6 of the article (which pertain to partial cycling and longevity) were from a research paper in 2016. So I'm not sure where you got the idea that the most recent data is from 2002.
I don't know (and didn't state) when its most recent data is from. But as I said, 2002 is the most recent date that the article mentions for any of its data.

But still, until I see concrete testing showing otherwise, I'll still recommend the 40-80% for best longevity on sealed batteries.
What puzzles me is: aren't you thereby recommending a self-imposed limit to 40% of the battery's capacity, in order to prevent a much smaller possible future decrease in capacity?

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Well, thanks to generous trade in allowances and other discounts, I get a new phone every year. It's not a concern to me whatsoever. I have wireless chargers at home and work, and chargers in the car and on the motorcycle. My phone is rarely below 80%.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't know (and didn't state) when its most recent data is from. But as I said, 2002 is the most recent date that the article mentions for any of its data.
Which is factually wrong, as I pointed out.

What puzzles me is: aren't you thereby recommending a self-imposed limit to 40% of the battery's capacity, in order to prevent a much smaller possible future decrease in capacity?

When people ask about prolonging battery life, yes. When it comes to Li-ion batteries, there's tradeoffs to be made depending on if you want maximum time between charges or maximum overall life.

Your claim of a small reduction of capacity is just anecdotal. By the same token, I've killed a battery in as little as 6 months due to improper charging habits. No one can predict the future of their specific battery's health, which is why we look at these sorts of tests and average things out. Then you need to ask yourself if it's worth the risk spending $100 (as another user claimed) once or twice a year to replace the battery. If you accept that, I won't stop you. I can only give advice as it pertains to the original question, providing the best data available, so that others can make their own informed decisions.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Which is factually wrong, as I pointed out.

When people ask about prolonging battery life, yes. When it comes to Li-ion batteries, there's tradeoffs to be made depending on if you want maximum time between charges or maximum overall life.

Your claim of a small reduction of capacity is just anecdotal. By the same token, I've killed a battery in as little as 6 months due to improper charging habits. No one can predict the future of their specific battery's health, which is why we look at these sorts of tests and average things out. Then you need to ask yourself if it's worth the risk spending $100 (as another user claimed) once or twice a year to replace the battery. If you accept that, I won't stop you. I can only give advice as it pertains to the original question, providing the best data available, so that others can make their own informed decisions.

Which phone did you kill in 6 months? What were you doing?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Which phone did you kill in 6 months? What were you doing?
That was a Droid Bionic that I kept plugged in most of the time, which I've seen some people claim is ok because you're not adding to the cycle count. That was before I educated myself on Li-ion batteries and found out there's a lot more to it. Even today with stuff like RC hobby Lipo batteries that are designed for longevity and fast charge times, the basic rules still apply. Drain it too much or leave it charged too high, and you can kiss the battery goodbye.