Coming back from Apple, where I’ve spent a year moaning about Siri and telling everyone how great Samsung and Google Asst are, I’m now having to eat humble pie a bit because I’ve noticed one big problem:

Google Assistant’s beauty is that you can yell at your phone from across the room and it talks back to you and does whatever you ask. Or at least it used to.

Now, I can yell at my Note 10 to play a song or send a message or whatever and it instantly processes what I’m saying. But then I have to physically unlock the phone to follow on, which negates the point.

To say I’m disappointed is an understatement. Even Siri, for all of its many faults, can do simple tasks like that.

Am I doing something wrong here? Research leads me to believe that Google disabled Voice Unlock for security reasons and that’s what’s causing this. But I can’t believe that they would intentionally cripple one of its big selling points.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I’m just hoping it’s me and I’ve made a mistake!

Tks
    08-24-2019 06:20 AM
    Coming back from Apple, where I’ve spent a year moaning about Siri and telling everyone how great Samsung and Google Asst are, I’m now having to eat humble pie a bit because I’ve noticed one big problem:

Google Assistant’s beauty is that you can yell at your phone from across the room and it talks back to you and does whatever you ask. Or at least it used to.

Now, I can yell at my Note 10 to play a song or send a message or whatever and it instantly processes what I’m saying. But then I have to physically unlock the phone to follow on, which negates the point.

To say I’m disappointed is an understatement. Even Siri, for all of its many faults, can do simple tasks like that.

Am I doing something wrong here? Research leads me to believe that Google disabled Voice Unlock for security reasons and that’s what’s causing this. But I can’t believe that they would intentionally cripple one of its big selling points.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I’m just hoping it’s me and I’ve made a mistake!

Tks
    yes...experiencing the same. for me though, the option to use GoogleAssist with locked screen is greyed out since my device is under my company work policies (yes ticks me off). But for me to get access to work email..etc, I have to accept the policies. One of those policies is to remove options like this for security reasons. same for device unlock based on secondary device (watch)...or location.
    08-24-2019 06:41 AM
    If you open Google Assistant by holding down the home key then on the bottom left corner there's a icon that looks like a crown. Click on that and the second screen you see gives you option to set up secure voice to open Assistant while screen is off
    Bkdodger1 and strikeIII like this.
    08-24-2019 07:41 AM
    I didn't see that option.
    If you open Google Assistant by holding down the home key then on the bottom left corner there's a icon that looks like a crown. Click on that and the second screen you see gives you option to set up secure voice to open Assistant while screen is off
    08-24-2019 07:48 AM
    I didn't see that option.
    Thanks Carrie. I didn't see that option either but just going to that crown icon seems to have fixed it. I think. Thanks so much for that
    08-24-2019 08:34 AM
    Thanks Dave! That fixed my issue. Just came to register and say thanks.
    09-22-2019 02:38 PM