Live Messages

Appaloon

May 2, 2017
Visit site
Live Messages has been updated in a few ways. I only see the option to save the message as either an MP4 or Gif. I always use Gif, but there are no longer any quality options for this format. I sent a couple last night and noticed that they looked really bad after being sent. I'm using the Samsung native sms app. It turns out the files are several MB in size now where they used to only be a few KB. So the file is heavliy compressed because of the limits of SMS before sending and looks completely awful.
Has anyone else noticed this? Am I overlooking a setting that affects the output size?
If this is indeed an issue and not just user error what is the best way to report this to Samsung?
Other than this I'm loving the Note 10+ BTW :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
.mp4 is a container type, not a file type. .gif files are uncompressed. If you use a picture editing app, open the .gif file and save it as a .jpg, it might become small enough to send without having it get compressed. (If the editing app allows quality setting for .jpg files, keep reducing the quality until the file is small enough. (Paint.net will do a pretty good job reducing a file quite a bit before it starts to look as if it's missing something, but it's a Windows program, so you'd have to copy the .gif file to a PC or laptop, then copy the .jpg file to the phone.)

Appaloon

May 2, 2017
Visit site
.mp4 is a container type, not a file type. .gif files are uncompressed. If you use a picture editing app, open the .gif file and save it as a .jpg, it might become small enough to send without having it get compressed. (If the editing app allows quality setting for .jpg files, keep reducing the quality until the file is small enough. (Paint.net will do a pretty good job reducing a file quite a bit before it starts to look as if it's missing something, but it's a Windows program, so you'd have to copy the .gif file to a PC or laptop, then copy the .jpg file to the phone.)

Thanks for the response but that's way more effort than I'm willing to put forth. On previous Samsung phones this was not an issue so was just wondering if I might have missed a setting somewhere.

TJohnsonmp01

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the response but that's way more effort than I'm willing to put forth. On previous Samsung phones this was not an issue so was just wondering if I might have missed a setting somewhere.

I tried it the other nite as well and it was awful. Neither recipient could read it. Pretty disappointing

Anotherusr

Sep 29, 2017
Visit site
Live Messages has been updated in a few ways. I only see the option to save the message as either an MP4 or Gif. I always use Gif, but there are no longer any quality options for this format. I sent a couple last night and noticed that they looked really bad after being sent. I'm using the Samsung native sms app. It turns out the files are several MB in size now where they used to only be a few KB. So the file is heavliy compressed because of the limits of SMS before sending and looks completely awful.
Has anyone else noticed this? Am I overlooking a setting that affects the output size?
If this is indeed an issue and not just user error what is the best way to report this to Samsung?
Other than this I'm loving the Note 10+ BTW :)

If you have Verizon use Verizon messages + they come out perfect on that. I suppose your alternative would be to send them through what's app. I use that to send large videos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox