wqhd+ vs. fhd+

touruser78

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I see this still gives us the option to change the display to wqhd. Does it really make a difference with this display since I thought it was only a fhd display?

Last edited:

Borarjti

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
the note 10 is only fhd the 10+ and 10+5g are wqhd though, I see very little difference but I always run my phones at wqhd

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I say this Everytime the question comes up...

Why buy a TOP phone.. to then dumb it down? I don't get it.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

No one answered that for you yet? Okay, allow me to do so lol.

Because my eyes and million others notice no difference . Why use more battery juice for literally no apparent benefits??

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No one answered that for you yet? Okay, allow me to do so lol.

Because my eyes and million others notice no difference . Why use more battery juice for literally no apparent benefits??

But it doesn't use more juice. Plenty of people have tested and noticed such a minor difference (talking 15-30 mins).

Idk about you but I never worry about battery life that 15-30 mins would make or break anything lol.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

Because the 1440p display on the Samsung is not a true 1440p display. It uses a diamond pentile 1080p AMOLED display, where each of the green subpixels is basically cut in half so they have separate controllers. If we're talking actual display, it's 1080p. If we're counting by number of pixels, it's 1080 and a third. It's nowhere close to 1440p in actual number of Pixels no matter which way you cut it.

It achieves 1440p-like viewing clarity by virtue of the half-sized green pixels. They light the pixels up to different brightness, with some of the green pixels brighter than all of the other pixels to create a natural antialiasing effect that masks the "jaggedness" when looking at the images closely creating a semblance of a 1440p display.

We know what happens to AMOLED when you put them at relative different brightness to their adjacent ones. They degrade faster. While this won't create burn ins because the degradation is nearly screen-wide when setting this to 1440p, this will lead to an earlier color and total brightness degradation point compared to when using the device at it's true native resolution of 1080p, which will retain the color and max brightness point for longer time since it's less degraded and well, it degrades evenly.

Of course this probably won't matter if you replace phones year after year, but then it could affect the resale value if you're a very heavy user and degrade it so bad quickly. It will also matter if you want to keep the phone beyond the 2 year mark.

I keep my devices from Samsung at 1080p because I want to take care of it as best as I can. I don't particularly care for the display resolution at 1440p anyway, because I can barely tell the difference. The resolution is one of the least concerns in specs I have when looking at the phone. If it's 1080p, it's good enough for me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Because the 1440p display on the Samsung is not a true 1440p display. It uses a diamond pentile 1080p AMOLED display, where each of the green subpixels is basically cut in half so they have separate controllers. If we're talking actual display, it's 1080p. If we're counting by number of pixels, it's 1080 and a third. It's nowhere close to 1440p in actual number of Pixels no matter which way you cut it.

It achieves 1440p-like viewing clarity by virtue of the half-sized green pixels. They light the pixels up to different brightness, with some of the green pixels brighter than all of the other pixels to create a natural antialiasing effect that masks the "jaggedness" when looking at the images closely creating a semblance of a 1440p display.

We know what happens to AMOLED when you put them at relative different brightness to their adjacent ones. They degrade faster. While this won't create burn ins because the degradation is nearly screen-wide when setting this to 1440p, this will lead to an earlier color and total brightness degradation point compared to when using the device at it's true native resolution of 1080p, which will retain the color and max brightness point for longer time since it's less degraded and well, it degrades evenly.

Of course this probably won't matter if you replace phones year after year, but then it could affect the resale value if you're a very heavy user and degrade it so bad quickly. It will also matter if you want to keep the phone beyond the 2 year mark.

Even if it doesn't I still don't get it. I mean hey it's y'all's money you do you. I just personally don't buy a 4K tv to then watch HD stuff on it... Or build a top end gaming rig to run graphics on medium.

Same with my phones.. I don't buy top end stuff to then try and shut off every feature to save a tad bit of battery. If I have to do that then that phone fails.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
But it doesn't use more juice. Plenty of people have tested and noticed such a minor difference (talking 15-30 mins).

Idk about you but I never worry about battery life that 15-30 mins would make or break anything lol.
Nope, got chargers all over the place. Not the point. You think Samsung would have made FHD the default if QWHD is really noticeable on a 6.8 screen? It's just a blown out spec that might might come handy in very rare situations.

Similar to 12 gb of RAM. is it needed? Heck no, 99.99% would do just fabulous with 8gb of RAM, including myself. But hey, feels good to have a phone with 12gb of RAM (guilty myself here, it's why I bought the Note 10+).

The fact is, most people will never notice the difference, it's why Samsung has FHD as default. But yes, go nuts, why not? Hehehe cheers.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Nope, got chargers all over the place. Not the point. You think Samsung would have made FHD the default if QWHD is really noticeable on a 6.8 screen? It's just a blown out spec that might might come handy in very rare situations.

Similar to 12 gb of RAM. is it needed? Heck no, 99.99% would do just fabulous with 8gb of RAM, including myself. But hey, feels good to have a phone with 12gb of RAM (guilty myself here, it's why I bought the Note 10+).

The fact is, most people will never notice the difference, it's why Samsung has FHD as default. But yes, go nuts, why not? Hehehe cheers.

See post above for my response since we posted same time.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Even if it doesn't I still don't get it. I mean hey it's y'all's money you do you. I just personally don't buy a 4K tv to then watch HD stuff on it... Or build a top end gaming rig to run graphics on medium.

Same with my phones.. I don't buy top end stuff to then try and shut off every feature to save a tad bit of battery. If I have to do that then that phone fails.
Not a fare comparison. 4k TV vs HD, you sure notice the difference. Building a top end gaming system and limiting it's graphics, you sure going to notice a difference. If running QWHD makes a noticeable difference, I won't leave it at FHD. But it just doesn't.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not a fare comparison. 4k TV vs HD, you sure notice the difference. Building a top end gaming system and limiting it's graphics, you sure going to notice a difference. If running QWHD makes a noticeable difference, I won't leave it at FHD. But it just doesn't.

For me it's fair. I don't buy top end stuff to then dumb it down. If I have to do that then that isn't really top end IMO.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Even if it doesn't I still don't get it. I mean hey it's y'all's money you do you. I just personally don't buy a 4K tv to then watch HD stuff on it... Or build a top-end gaming rig to run graphics on medium.

The thing though is I couldn't care less if the phone has a 1440p display when I buy then. It was never a selling point to me. That's not the main concern for me. It just happened to have one, even if it's really not. So why force it to do something it's really not?

To use your analogy of a TV, I don't see a point of trying to watch a 4k video when the TV is only 1080p. I'll just download/stream a 1080p video. Especially when in the case of this phone, it just damages the screen faster.
Also, this doesn't equate to buying a gaming rig and setting the games to medium. This equates to buying a gaming rig, but getting a 1080p monitor instead of 4k. 1080p Ultra settings is still ultra settings. All the decals and specularity and graphic details are there. You just manage to eek out a bit more FPS with the lower resolution.

But as you said, it's your phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The thing though is I couldn't care less if the phone has a 1440p display when I buy then. It was never a selling point to me. That's not the main concern for me. It just happened to have one, even if it's really not. So why force it to do something it's really not?

To use your analogy of a TV, I don't see a point of trying to watch a 4k video when the TV is only 1080p. I'll just download/stream a 1080p video. Especially when in the case of this phone, it just damages the screen faster.
Also, this doesn't equate to buying a gaming rig and setting the games to medium. This equates to buying a gaming rig, but getting a 1080p monitor instead of 4k. 1080p Ultra settings is still ultra settings. All the decals and specularity and graphic details are there. You just manage to eek out a bit more FPS with the lower resolution.

But as you said, it's your phone.

No no as I said I don't buy a 4k to stream 1080. Basically saying I don't buy top end then to dumb it down. Makes zero sense to me.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I see a difference in quality on all 3 modes
If you don't see difference why not leave it in HD+ mode, why stay at FHD+ (default) ? . .. each mode calibrates the screen differently

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Yup. Ive tried it. The batrery drain i have was caused by this stupid DBS banking app. Always running in the background.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
No no as I said I don't buy a 4k to stream 1080. Basically saying I don't buy top end then to dumb it down. Makes zero sense to me.

Except on a TV you actually are buying a 4k screen to watch 4k videos. The Samsung doesn't really have a 1440p screen in the first place. It's basically just over-exertng itself to create a pseudo 1440p screen. And I never bought it because of the 1440p screen in the first place. So why use it when it's detrimental in the long run and I never particularly cared for it?
You don't buy a car with an engine that can do 10,000rpm and simply run it permanently at redline.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Except on a TV you actually are buying a 4k screen to watch 4k videos. The Samsung doesn't really have a 1440p screen in the first place. It's basically just over-exertng itself to create a pseudo 1440p screen. And I never bought it because of the 1440p screen in the first place. So why use it when it's detrimental in the long run and I never particularly cared for it?
You don't buy a car with an engine that can do 10,000rpm and simply run it permanently at redline.

I also don't buy a top end phone to dumb it down for what.. 30 mins more per charge?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles