wqhd+ vs. fhd+

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Because the 1440p display on the Samsung is not a true 1440p display. It uses a diamond pentile 1080p AMOLED display, where each of the green subpixels is basically cut in half so they have separate controllers. If we're talking actual display, it's 1080p. If we're counting by number of pixels, it's 1080 and a third. It's nowhere close to 1440p in actual number of Pixels no matter which way you cut it.

It achieves 1440p-like viewing clarity by virtue of the half-sized green pixels. They light the pixels up to different brightness, with some of the green pixels brighter than all of the other pixels to create a natural antialiasing effect that masks the "jaggedness" when looking at the images closely creating a semblance of a 1440p display.

We know what happens to AMOLED when you put them at relative different brightness to their adjacent ones. They degrade faster. While this won't create burn ins because the degradation is nearly screen-wide when setting this to 1440p, this will lead to an earlier color and total brightness degradation point compared to when using the device at it's true native resolution of 1080p, which will retain the color and max brightness point for longer time since it's less degraded and well, it degrades evenly.

Of course this probably won't matter if you replace phones year after year, but then it could affect the resale value if you're a very heavy user and degrade it so bad quickly. It will also matter if you want to keep the phone beyond the 2 year mark.

I keep my devices from Samsung at 1080p because I want to take care of it as best as I can. I don't particularly care for the display resolution at 1440p anyway, because I can barely tell the difference. The resolution is one of the least concerns in specs I have when looking at the phone. If it's 1080p, it's good enough for me.

Thank you very much for the info. Hitherto I'd always kept my phones at WQHD resolution.

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Nope, got chargers all over the place. Not the point. You think Samsung would have made FHD the default if QWHD is really noticeable on a 6.8 screen? It's just a blown out spec that might might come handy in very rare situations.

Similar to 12 gb of RAM. is it needed? Heck no, 99.99% would do just fabulous with 8gb of RAM, including myself. But hey, feels good to have a phone with 12gb of RAM (guilty myself here, it's why I bought the Note 10+).

The fact is, most people will never notice the difference, it's why Samsung has FHD as default. But yes, go nuts, why not? Hehehe cheers.

According to the test I've seen
The difference between 1080p and 1440p is only about 2% when it comes to battery drain , you're gonna spend 1,100 on a top of the line phone to watch content at a lower resolution , just to save 2% battery life
Really?

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I already told you that the screen isn't a real 1440p screen. It's true resolution is 1080p and it achieves 1440p by putting it in a mode that degrades the screen faster. Were you reading?

So you're saying it does achieve 1440p whatever the means they use to do bit
I do see a difference between 1440p and 1080p , it might not be a big difference , but it's there
Not worth dumbing down my phone to save 2% on battery , makes no sense to me

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Can you share where you found that information ? Not saying your wrong but haven't seen what you describe anywhere.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.oled-info.com/pentile?amp

It's basically the design of diamond pentile technology itself. In a true 'pixel' it's one each of RGB. On a diamond pentile, it's alternating red + 1/2 of a green pixel and blue + 1/2 of a green pixel. But they count each subpixel as separate. So the actual number of RGB units in a diamond pentile screen is 1080p, if we count each blue+red+2xgreen units.

EDIT:

Some more helpful links. The guy in the reddit link explains it better:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS8/comments/695l1g/basics_on_pentile_amoled_displays_the_real_reason/

https://medium.com/@suyashsrijan/1080p-pentile-is-not-true-1080p-9951b9e5c2ee

The GSMArena guys who use microscopes to actually count the pixels says it's a factual resolution of 2,960x720 pixels.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s9-review-1734p3.php

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
So... Youre saying Samsung is doing this so that our screen degrades faster? Hmmm... Interesting....
Not really. The design of the diamond pentile makes it longer lasting than a normal RGB pixel. But since this 1440p mode increases degradation, I don't know if it's enough to offset decrease in degradation thr design causes. Basically all I'm saying is if we compare a Samsung S or Note running 1440p vs 1080, the 1440 will degrade faster. But if we compare it to RGB OLED panels like the ones used on LGs, AFAIK 1080 Samsung lasts longer, but I don't know if 1440p will degrade faster than LG.

Plus out of the box Samsung ships in 1080p mode. It's not like they're setting it at the faster degrading mode out of the box. Many people don't bother touching those settings.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
So you're saying it does achieve 1440p whatever the means they use to do bit
I do see a difference between 1440p and 1080p , it might not be a big difference , but it's there
Not worth dumbing down my phone to save 2% on battery , makes no sense to me
Unless we go nitpicky because if you conpare it to a real RGB 1440p you'll see a difference where a real 1440p would look better.

And you have to look at it from the point of view of someone who doesn't see a difference. For that person, the 1440p setting doesn't do anything but decrease battery. You are knowingly trading battery for better clarity. For that other guy, he's giving up battery but doesn't get anything in return.

If there was a setting on your phone that says 'this drains your battery faster by 2% but does nothing', would you turn it on? Because to someone that doesn't see the the difference between 1080p and 1440p, that's what that setting looks like.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Go back and re-read my comments, the reason why I leave it at FHD had NOTHING to do with battery life. You quoted me but you obviously didn't read what I wrote. Come on man.
According to the test I've seen
The difference between 1080p and 1440p is only about 2% when it comes to battery drain , you're gonna spend 1,100 on a top of the line phone to watch content at a lower resolution , just to save 2% battery life
Really?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
If there was a setting on your phone that says 'this drains your battery faster by 2% but does nothing', would you turn it on? Because to someone that doesn't see the the difference between 1080p and 1440p, that's what that setting looks like.

LMAO. some people have super powers and they are sure they see the difference hehehehe.

Good for them I guess, my eyes must be too old to notice. I am not tunrning on that button that does nothing.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.oled-info.com/pentile?amp

It's basically the design of diamond pentile technology itself. In a true 'pixel' it's one each of RGB. On a diamond pentile, it's alternating red + 1/2 of a green pixel and blue + 1/2 of a green pixel. But they count each subpixel as separate. So the actual number of RGB units in a diamond pentile screen is 1080p, if we count each blue+red+2xgreen units.

EDIT:

Some more helpful links. The guy in the reddit link explains it better:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS8/comments/695l1g/basics_on_pentile_amoled_displays_the_real_reason/

https://medium.com/@suyashsrijan/1080p-pentile-is-not-true-1080p-9951b9e5c2ee

The GSMArena guys who use microscopes to actually count the pixels says it's a factual resolution of 2,960x720 pixels.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s9-review-1734p3.php
Thanks for the links , some were older but I'm not convinced by those articles . I was looking at display mate remarks about note 10+ 3k display they didn't mention what you found with the articles you link.
But who knows ..Im not going argue this because I don't see enough evidence out there to say that it Right or Wrong ...
But I find it interesting for sure .Screenshot_20190825-153023.jpeg

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Nope, got chargers all over the place. Not the point. You think Samsung would have made FHD the default if QWHD is really noticeable on a 6.8 screen? It's just a blown out spec that might might come handy in very rare situations.

Similar to 12 gb of RAM. is it needed? Heck no, 99.99% would do just fabulous with 8gb of RAM, including myself. But hey, feels good to have a phone with 12gb of RAM (guilty myself here, it's why I bought the Note 10+).

The fact is, most people will never notice the difference, it's why Samsung has FHD as default. But yes, go nuts, why not? Hehehe cheers.
You'd appreciate the 12gb of ram if you use DeX. I'm glad they made the bump.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
You'd appreciate the 12gb of ram if you use DeX. I'm glad they made the bump.

Part of the target market for the Note 10 phones are those who will/might actually need the 12GB RAM (I know it’s very suprising). When you have a dozen+ apps syncing in the background plus DeX connecting to a computer which itself has several applications running and syncing with the Note 10(+) that RAM (and the cooling pad) comes in handy.

Plus (because you never know how performance/power hungry future Android software might be) the 12GB of RAM should make the Note 10+ future proof.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I already told you that the screen isn't a real 1440p screen. It's true resolution is 1080p and it achieves 1440p by putting it in a mode that degrades the screen faster. Were you reading?

Is this really the case? If so it is very interesting.

I have always cranked it up to 1440p as the battery difference is negligible and I just wanted it at full quality. This though would be genuine reason to keep it at 1080p though if true.