wqhd+ vs. fhd+

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
According to this analysis, the PenTile display meets the VESA industry-standard criteria for 1440p: [CORRECTED LINK]
https://web.archive.org/web/2011071...pentile-display-resolution-vesa-standards.pdf
Because that's talking about RGBW pentile, meaning there are 4 subpixel colors, each with the same size. Diamond Pentile that Samsung uses is entirely different with just 3 colors at RGB, and the green subpixels are only half the size of the other pixels. Basically that document doesn't apply to it. It applies to the LG screens though since those use an RGBW panel.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Because that's talking about RGBW pentile, meaning there are 4 subpixel colors, each with the same size. Diamond Pentile that Samsung uses is entirely different with just 3 colors at RGB, and the green subpixels are only half the size of the other pixels.
Sorry, where do you see that Note 10s use Diamond PenTile rather than RGBW PenTile?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, where do you see that Note 10s use Diamond PenTile rather than RGBW PenTile?
I'm taking Samsung's word for it.

They announced that the Note 10 variants use the same Dynamic OLED tech that Samsung already uses prior in the S10 5G, which contains the same RGB layout Samsung has been using since they first patented their pentile design. I'll believe Samsung for now in saying it is the same.
At its core dynamic OLED is just SuperAMOLED with HDR+ support due to new OLED components.
So far we don't have microscope images of the Note 10 and 10+ screens. So until Anandtech comes out with his review, I'm basing it on Samsung's announcements.
TBF, all phones using Samsung OLED panels (OnePlus, Apple, etc) are using the same diamond pentile.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
TBF, all phones using Samsung OLED panels (OnePlus, Apple, etc) are using the same diamond pentile.
Thanks, those are interesting subtleties. The technology does still meet the VESA criteria for the claimed 1440p resolution though, right? Granted, it can be argued that the criteria are too lax.

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Part of the target market for the Note 10 phones are those who will/might actually need the 12GB RAM (I know it’s very suprising). When you have a dozen+ apps syncing in the background plus DeX connecting to a computer which itself has several applications running and syncing with the Note 10(+) that RAM (and the cooling pad) comes in handy.

Plus (because you never know how performance/power hungry future Android software might be) the 12GB of RAM should make the Note 10+ future proof.
Reminds me of the time when people said "Who would ever need more thank 640K of memory?"

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, those are interesting subtleties. The technology does still meet the VESA criteria for the claimed 1440p resolution though, right? Granted, it can be argued that the criteria are too lax.
I don't have any source if they meet the VESA criteria. Also we can't really equate those screens even if they are all made by Samsung because while the Apple screens share the same diamond pattern and same manufacturer, for some reason they're also designed with a larger fill factor than the ones Samsung normally use.

This was an issue in the earlier days of diamond pentile, circa Galaxy S3 and S4, when it was 720p screens and the difference when placed side by side with a true RGB 720p screen was visible. You can go to threads from these very forums where people were debating that the 720p screen on the S3 wasn't really 720p. We had people ranting on how pentile screens were 'inferior'. Although Samsung did have material where you can look at the difference and decide for yourseld. Once the resolutions hit 1080p though it became less of an issue. The issue now is more, do people really see/notice a difference between 1080p and 1440p on phones.

notefreak

Trusted Member
Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
I don't understand how people don't see the difference. Maybe I do because I am short sighted and see very well from upclose.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
I don't understand how people don't see the difference. Maybe I do because I am short sighted and see very well from upclose.

Having switched from FHD to WQHD and back again several times to see the change I can’t see any difference unless the phone screen is within 5cm of my face and I have decent eyesight. Pretty unlikely most users will notice the difference unless they watch QHD/4K videos often.

Carrie Greicar

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

Yep I don't see any difference either. I read somewhere once that most people don't see the difference on the smaller screens. Either way both display settings are good.

Dimas de Leon

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
According to the test I've seen
The difference between 1080p and 1440p is only about 2% when it comes to battery drain , you're gonna spend 1,100 on a top of the line phone to watch content at a lower resolution , just to save 2% battery life
Really?

Link to the test? I don't believe it.

notefreak

Trusted Member
Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
Yep I don't see any difference either. I read somewhere once that most people don't see the difference on the smaller screens. Either way both display settings are good.

Come to think of it, I see a lot of things from upclose other people don't.

The difference I see is for example letters pop more, are simply clearer, same as images, it is just more crisp and translates as beautiful in my brain. I have used this setting in my previous phones as well and never noticed any screen degradation LMAO.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Link to the test? I don't believe it.
Well even the built in settings in the power saving setup tells you that switching between 1080p and 1440p allows you an estimated 10-20min longer battery life. It really just comes down to if you see the difference or not.

If you don't see a difference, why just not save the 20min? If you see a difference, you knowingly trade that time for a better experience anyway, so it's not like you're not gaining something.

The possible increased degradation would be kind of even across the screen anyway, so it would just translate to possibly less max brightness capability or maybe color shifting, but it should only be a concern if you plan to keep your phone longer than 2 years.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm turning all my settings all the way up. I paid for it. I'm using it.
And as for getting screen burn-in.

I've gotten this before, and always had it replaced for free!
Cracked screen
$29.00

$1100.00?

you better max everything out regardless.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
My 2 cents....

Right now my phone is on the default setting because I have tried the wqhd+ setting and simply cannot see a difference.

Must be my tired old eyes. ;)