Is 12gb ram worth it? Battery related

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Just curious, does anyone know if 12gb of ram uses more battery than 8gb?

I really don't see the need for this phone to be 12gb so was just wondering if anyone knew the technicalities behind it

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I would think it saves on power but not sure all I know is this device is very fast compared to other devices i have owned.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I really don't see the need for this phone to be 12gb so was just wondering if anyone knew the technicalities behind it

Personally, in my own humble opinion. Its like insurance... You'll never know when you'll need it xD

Borarjti

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Do we NEED it? Probably not but I just was transferring stuff onto my sd card from my note 9 and it seems so much slower at everything now that I've been using my 10+ for about 24hrs lol

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

No. RAM is actually supposed to make your phone more efficient. Instead of having to go all the way to "storage" to look for what you want and load it for you, the more RAM the more likely what you are asking for is still handy and close by for your phone to give to you. More efficient means your phone is spending less energy to execute means using LESS battery (power) not more.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
What @Lepa79 said. More RAM means that the CPU can store more data in-memory rather than accessing permanent storage. That means less battery usage if anything.

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
What @Lepa79 said. More RAM means that the CPU can store more data in-memory rather than accessing permanent storage. That means less battery usage if anything.
Yes all the data has to come in the beginning from permanent storage, but then kept in memory until there is not enough memory left then the "Garbage Collector" (background process), yes it is named that, then removes it. Keeping it around in working memory is MUCH faster and battery saving than have to delete it and then re-retrieve it over and over again. Plus, the UFS 3.0 is much faster and energy efficient than previously as well! So these silly "memory cleaner" apps that kill items in working memory to make more memory available on the Android platform is a silly concept and actually makes things worse! The only time where that helps is if you have a slower processor which is not as busy if there are fewer things in memory - however that is not an issue either with these powerful handheld machines. Those apps also often came from people that were used to using other OS's (such as Windows) that can run faster if there is more memory free...

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Yes all the data has to come in the beginning from permanent storage, but then kept in memory until there is not enough memory left then the "Garbage Collector" (background process), yes it is named that, then removes it. Keeping it around in working memory is MUCH faster and battery saving than have to delete it and then re-retrieve it over and over again. Plus, the UFS 3.0 is much faster and energy efficient than previously as well! So these silly "memory cleaner" apps that kill items in working memory to make more memory available on the Android platform is a silly concept and actually makes things worse! The only time where that helps is if you have a slower processor which is not as busy if there are fewer things in memory - however that is not an issue either with these powerful handheld machines. Those apps also often came from people that were used to using other OS's (such as Windows) that can run faster if there is more memory free...

Thank you for this answer. This was what I was lookin for.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site

I said this in another thread. You'd appreciate the 12gb more of you use DeX. I'm glad they decided go with 12gb.

anon(10598448)

Apr 15, 2019
Visit site
I have a 512GB 8GB RAM S10+ and a 1TB 12GB RAM S10+ and there is no difference in them performance wise. I often have to go into settings to tell which one is which.

I don't know if the extra RAM is actually worth it or not after having owned these phones for several months now. I don't own a Note 10 now but I'm sure the performance between the 8/12GB models would be the same just as it is with the S10+.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JackMarkers