Has anyone got "link to windows" to work?

RandyJoshua

Aug 11, 2019
Visit site
It works indeed :) Even the screen preview..

I probably could look like up , but what is link to windows? Is it something like sidesync or Samsung flow ?
not sure what sidesync is, or Samsung Flow.. but basically it show your notifications in Windows 10 notication bar :)

2019-08-27 08_33_11-Window.png

TX Jedi

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
FYI, you should run DEX on your PC/Phone and have access to all your phone files (which you can edit) and control so much more than with the 'your phone' app. Just plug in with usb cable.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can, check YouTube there's a few videos explaining it

I saw a couple Youtube videos on "Your Phone" app. Essentially, what I understand is that the app is (very) limited in what it can do at this time, pretty much just transfer pictures wirelessly between phone and Windows computer (maybe text messages too). If that is true, then it's useless to me. But hopefully the Your Phone app will be developed into more useful functions in the future.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Trying to get this working. Installed the app from the microsoft store. It sent me the link to my phone in a text message. I said yes to all the permissions. It acts like its trying but it just sits there spinning checking the PC. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I'm on wi-fi

Its Microsoft issue at the moment.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, I was surprised yesterday when I logged onto my Windows laptop and started receiving text messages onto my laptop screen! So I guess the Your Phone app now works. But seriously, what's the point of receiving/sending text messages via my laptop? I'd rather have my phone for that function.

Is there anything else the Your Phone app can do? (besides synching pictures, which I don't find useful).

TX Jedi

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Well, I was surprised yesterday when I logged onto my Windows laptop and started receiving text messages onto my laptop screen! So I guess the Your Phone app now works. But seriously, what's the point of receiving/sending text messages via my laptop? I'd rather have my phone for that function.

Is there anything else the Your Phone app can do? (besides synching pictures, which I don't find useful).

you can also mirror your phone screen with it, and interact with your phone apps (except ones in folders, I haven't been able to get that to work). Even swipe gestures work (swipe the mouse as you would on your phone screen).

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
The issue looks to be resolved (according to Microsoft). I was able to successfully send and receive texts last night.

Looking forward to them implementing phone call support!

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
you can also mirror your phone screen with it, and interact with your phone apps (except ones in folders, I haven't been able to get that to work). Even swipe gestures work (swipe the mouse as you would on your phone screen).

Really?? You can mirror whatever shows up on your Samsung phone to your Windows laptop? How do you do that? Would that be the same effect as attaching an HDMI cable from phone to Windows laptop? I've done that before and it works well.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I saw a couple Youtube videos on "Your Phone" app. Essentially, what I understand is that the app is (very) limited in what it can do at this time, pretty much just transfer pictures wirelessly between phone and Windows computer (maybe text messages too). If that is true, then it's useless to me. But hopefully the Your Phone app will be developed into more useful functions in the future.
Yeah I checked it out last night and it doesn't do what want with transferring files back and forward . Hopefully at some point it will get updated. For now I'll stick with sidesync. I never could get Samsung flow to work.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I checked it out last night and it doesn't do what want with transferring files back and forward . Hopefully at some point it will get updated. For now I'll stick with sidesync. I never could get Samsung flow to work.

I think I gave up on Samsung Flow...what exactly is it supposed to do if or when it works??

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Has anyone got "link to windows" to work?

Think I figured it out. My PC is not on my home wifi network (it's connected with ethernet cable). Found this .....

The Phone screen feature in the Windows 10 app only works when your phone and PC can communicate with each other. They’ll both need to be connected to the same network (for example, your home Wi-Fi).

So its not going to work unless I get a wifi card for my PC.... boooo The PC is connected to the router though that my phone wi-fi connects to, but not the same "network"
I have several hard wired ethernet devices, 2 strategically placed wireless routers in my home, and numerous wifi devices. They are all on the same network and can all see each other. In fact, both wireless routers have both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz connections (all 4 with the same password) and the wifi devices cannot tell the differences between them, they just connect to whichever one has the strongest signal (like is done in a typical corporate office). So the connectivity method (WiFi either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, or ethernet) are not different "Networks". The "Network" you are on is a configuration. Feel free to PM me with any questions... I have to say, setting this up was a total pain in the butt, alit of trial and error "learning the hard way", I am not a networking expert, but do work with technology for a living and do a lot of research to ensure I set everything up to be as secure - and as fast - as possible.

I've been meaning to try the "Link to Windows " or whatever it is, I'll give it a shot tomorrow and post my results/thoughts. My main PC is on ethernet and does not have WiFi either (but is on the same network)... You may be right about the wifi - but only if the two devices talk directly to each other (called "WiFi Direct") but I doubt that is the case...

Hope this helps!

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
So yeah, i saw aq couple replies here and just decided to try it again. Opened up the windows app, and BAM it works. Must have been because Microsoft was down.

I do see "your phone companion has used 217kb of mobile data" I will have to keep a close eye on it. I try to keep under 1GB of mobile data to keep my bill at 12 bucks a month.

Pretty slick though. It mirrors your phone screen to your PC and you can control your phone with your mouse. So if you open a game on the "phone" on the PC, it actually opens the game on the phone too .

I might try Dex again too. Had an issue with a USB cable previously so I uninstalled Dex thinking that was the issue before I determined it was the USB cable. Will try it again.

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
So yeah, i saw aq couple replies here and just decided to try it again. Opened up the windows app, and BAM it works. Must have been because Microsoft was down.

I do see "your phone companion has used 217kb of mobile data" I will have to keep a close eye on it. I try to keep under 1GB of mobile data to keep my bill at 12 bucks a month.

Pretty slick though. It mirrors your phone screen to your PC and you can control your phone with your mouse. So if you open a game on the "phone" on the PC, it actually opens the game on the phone too .

I might try Dex again too. Had an issue with a USB cable previously so I uninstalled Dex thinking that was the issue before I determined it was the USB cable. Will try it again.
I've been using SideSync for a long time... It's an app for the PC that shows the phone screen - you can interact with it with the mouse as well as drag files from the SideSync window (the phone) right to the PC... So I don't get how the other software is any better... But I'll check tomorrow