From the reading I've done, the S10 series had widely known issues with the proximity sensor just flat out not working properly when used with calls.

Additionally, because it only worked with calls, the phone would often be screen activated in pockets and that'd drain the battery as the screen wouldn't then turn off like it should.

From what I hear, the Note 10 is using the same kind of sensor. Do these exact same issues persist from the S10, then?
    08-27-2019 09:43 PM
    I haven't experienced issues with calls yet, but I can easily tell that it is not as sensitive as the one in the Note 9 most probably because it is now behind the screen. When I say not as sensitive, I mean that it thinks it's still in total darkness when it isn't total darkness when I unlock the phone in a dark area (I have it set that to prevent accidental touches when in a bag, etc.). So, when I try to unlock, it'll tell me that I have it set to prevent accidental touches and to swipe to confirm I want to use the phone, because it thinks that it's in total darkness like in a bag. My Note 9 seemed to be better able to discern between total darkness and "almost" dark. It's not really an issue, though.
    08-27-2019 10:51 PM
    I haven't experienced issues with calls yet, but I can easily tell that it is not as sensitive as the one in the Note 9 most probably because it is now behind the screen. When I say not as sensitive, I mean that it thinks it's still in total darkness when it isn't total darkness when I unlock the phone in a dark area (I have it set that to prevent accidental touches when in a bag, etc.). So, when I try to unlock, it'll tell me that I have it set to prevent accidental touches and to swipe to confirm I want to use the phone, because it thinks that it's in total darkness like in a bag. My Note 9 seemed to be better able to discern between total darkness and "almost" dark. It's not really an issue, though.
    I get that too when I don't have many lights on at night in living room. Other than that it works fine.
    08-27-2019 10:54 PM
    That's interesting, as from what I read the proximity sensor only worked on the S10 in calls. I'm guessing because of all the complaints it now works as an actual pocket proximity sensor now too?

So I presume if you throw something over the sensor to emulate it being in a pocket the AoD actually turns off?
    08-27-2019 10:55 PM
    Working great on my note no issues at all.
    08-27-2019 10:59 PM
    That's interesting, as from what I read the proximity sensor only worked on the S10 in calls. I'm guessing because of all the complaints it now works as an actual pocket proximity sensor now too?

So I presume if you throw something over the sensor to emulate it being in a pocket the AoD actually turns off?
    Yelp. I just put my finger over sensor and AOD went off. Took my finger off and it came back.
    08-27-2019 11:01 PM
    Interesting! I thought when the sensor was active it would flash white as in the reports. Didn't think it could be active without that.

Well that's one of my biggest fears about the phone gone, great.
    08-27-2019 11:03 PM
    Interesting! I thought when the sensor was active it would flash white as in the reports. Didn't think it could be active without that.

Well that's one of my biggest fears about the phone gone, great.
    It flashes when on a call and stops when you end the call.
    08-27-2019 11:20 PM

Yup.. When it's total darkness or in a bag, the AOD will go off. But this is how it is on my Note 9, too. Weird that the S10 would react differently.
    08-27-2019 11:23 PM
    Yup.. When it's total darkness or in a bag, the AOD will go off. But this is how it is on my Note 9, too. Weird that the S10 would react differently.
    If you search for S10 proximity issues you'll see it blown up everywhere, even recently, such as here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...n_your_pocket/
    08-27-2019 11:38 PM
    If you search for S10 proximity issues you'll see it blown up everywhere, even recently, such as here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...n_your_pocket/
    Ahh I didn't realize. I am in so much a Note bubble. I just tested it again and sure enough the AOD goes off shortly after I block the proximity sensor (to the right of the camera) and then when I remove my finger, it'll come back on shortly.
    08-28-2019 02:13 PM
    I had s10+ and had tons of issues with phone call getting paused because screen didn't turn off fast enough and ear/cheek causing a touch. So far all good here.
    08-28-2019 03:38 PM
    I am saying all over my proximity sensor is always pulsating in bright light but noone listens.
    08-29-2019 11:30 PM
    Yes, it still activates in the pocket. At least for me... I have used the S10, S10e, and now the Note 10. All 3 of them activate in my pocket. Guess I'm just going to have to return yet another device and hope the S11 gets this issue fixed.
    09-03-2019 10:38 AM
    I've been experiencing this proximity issue lately. I didn't have it on my S10. My Note10 is still active when in my pocket and with the option enabled in settings. It's inconsistent as it doesn't always happen but enough that it's starting to get pretty annoying.
    09-03-2019 12:02 PM
    So guys, got an update.

Turns out the Note 10 had a scratch to the bezel, nuts to that. I ordered a second one with the intention of returning the first one. However, given I had two at once I decided to test them at the same time.

Turns out one of them would go dark but would NOT turn off, while the other one would.

The difference was one of them had the September update applied, the other (that worked) was completely stock. So, I updated that one.

You can guess what happened - the screen doesn't turn off on that one now either. They both just dim. Looks like Samsung ****ed something up with the latest update if these issues are cropping up again.
    09-05-2019 04:56 PM
    I've experienced this anomaly multiple times. My flashlight would be on in my pocket, music starts playing in my pocket, etc. They need to fix it ASAP.
    09-05-2019 07:23 PM
    Seems to be normal on my phone. I'm happy because my S10+ was all jacked up.
    09-05-2019 07:30 PM
    Not sure if it is applicable to both SoCs, but I'm on exynos. The fact I was able to replicate it on a working phone with the September update without doing anything else really confirms it for me that it is a Samsung software issue.

Note 10+ 4G, as well.
    09-05-2019 08:35 PM