I am thinking about returning my N10+

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
So besides not being able to hear specific app notifications I've been experiencing another problem, this one a bit more annoying. When I am texting someone in the middle of typing I notice the word suggestion bar clears and the typing spacer shoots to the front of the text I am typing. I always double check what I typed and reread it for typos and make sure the recipient is correct. That's when I first noticed the second half of my text was before the first half. Then I watched the screen more closely and that's when I noticed what I posted.

I am using the default keyboard with autocorrect. I decided to do a hard reset with all these little nuisances to no avail. This doesn't happen every time but about a quarter of the time. I have tried re-typing messages this happened in and it didn't happen again. It's seems random.

Why aren't you using gboard? Highly recommend it.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I agree that the stock keyboard sucks. I've had issues since the S7e. However with Note phones I use the S Pen swipe instead of type. It works way better for me.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
As others have mentioned Gboard and Swiftkey are great alternatives. Try one of those first before making a final decision. If they still aren't to your liking then you definitelyshould return it. No sense in trying to force yourself to keep it if it's not doing what you want.

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
I decided on Gboard, so far so good. Several of the apps I decided to uninstall and reinstall. They are still not using their own sounds for notifications. Now I'm getting random notification sound for nothing. The phone makes the sound, I look at my phone and there is no notification of any kind. And since the notification sound is the same across the board I don't know if it's I lost connection (I believe where I work is made out of lead) or some other random thing tripped the sound.

I think I'm being a little nit-picky right now. Been frustrated with a lot of stuff and every little thing that happens just gets me angrier. I think I need to leave the phone alone for a day or two and use it as is and look at it with a fresh view.

Thanks all for the suggestions, it's greatly appreciated.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I decided on Gboard, so far so good. Several of the apps I decided to uninstall and reinstall. They are still not using their own sounds for notifications. Now I'm getting random notification sound for nothing. The phone makes the sound, I look at my phone and there is no notification of any kind. And since the notification sound is the same across the board I don't know if it's I lost connection (I believe where I work is made out of lead) or some other random thing tripped the sound.

I think I'm being a little nit-picky right now. Been frustrated with a lot of stuff and every little thing that happens just gets me angrier. I think I need to leave the phone alone for a day or two and use it as is and look at it with a fresh view.

Thanks all for the suggestions, it's greatly appreciated.

So glad you are liking Gboard so far! And you have a point - the construction of your building can definitely make your phone overwork (to search for signal, etc) and who knows what that kind of stuff can do to its operations.

I can understand your being concerned about the "little stuff" - sometimes that can make or break your experience with a product. And when you pay for it with your hard-earned money, I can definitely understand your frustrations.

Hope everything works out for you!

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
There was an update to the Samsung keyboard in the galaxy store yesterday. Not sure if it fixes your issues or not though.

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Well I'm sticking to the Note 10+. A couple of the app sounds are back, not all. Once I can figure out how to keep the navigation bar at the bottom stickied especially when in apps, I'd be that much more happy.
@Nodnerb - I am with GBoard right now and so far it's been fine, I am just so used to samsung keyboard, never used anything else. So it's just getting used to the subtle differences.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm sticking to the Note 10+. A couple of the app sounds are back, not all. Once I can figure out how to keep the navigation bar at the bottom stickied especially when in apps, I'd be that much more happy.
@Nodnerb - I am with GBoard right now and so far it's been fine, I am just so used to samsung keyboard, never used anything else. So it's just getting used to the subtle differences.

That's great that you made a decision! Thank you so much for keeping us posted!

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest another keyboard , maybe Gboard or swiftkey?
It's a little Overkill to return an expensive phone because a couple apps don't work there way you want. Just fix the issues. Switch to gboard and tweak the settings to your heart's content. I also had an issue with notifications and fixed it. My sound went away even though they were set up. I had downloaded additional sounds under the notifications folder. I went there and checked - and the download had created a subfolder under the notifications folder also called notifications. I deleted them and rebooted and the problem went away. Actually under the root folder in "notifications" folder there is nothing even in that folder now, but my notification sounds still work. I have a feeling the notification sounds are stored somewhere else.

You aren't going to get all the power you expect out of a handheld computer if you just return it. You have to do a little digging under the covers to not only maybe fix the occasional issue but also to be able to make it do extraordinary things that it is capable of doing.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's a little Overkill to return an expensive phone because a couple apps don't work there way you want. Just fix the issues. Switch to gboard and tweak the settings to your heart's content. I also had an issue with notifications and fixed it. My sound went away even though they were set up. I had downloaded additional sounds under the notifications folder. I went there and checked - and the download had created a subfolder under the notifications folder also called notifications. I deleted them and rebooted and the problem went away. Actually under the root folder in "notifications" folder there is nothing even in that folder now, but my notification sounds still work. I have a feeling the notification sounds are stored somewhere else.

You aren't going to get all the power you expect out of a handheld computer if you just return it. You have to do a little digging under the covers to not only maybe fix the occasional issue but also to be able to make it do extraordinary things that it is capable of doing.
Yeah agree , you have options and work around. It's a new phone and not all glitches are cleared out yet . You brought a good example on your issue for ringtones, could be in different folder depending where you downloaded them from .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835