09-02-2019 01:19 PM
33 12
tools
    So besides not being able to hear specific app notifications I've been experiencing another problem, this one a bit more annoying. When I am texting someone in the middle of typing I notice the word suggestion bar clears and the typing spacer shoots to the front of the text I am typing. I always double check what I typed and reread it for typos and make sure the recipient is correct. That's when I first noticed the second half of my text was before the first half. Then I watched the screen more closely and that's when I noticed what I posted.

I am using the default keyboard with autocorrect. I decided to do a hard reset with all these little nuisances to no avail. This doesn't happen every time but about a quarter of the time. I have tried re-typing messages this happened in and it didn't happen again. It's seems random.
    08-28-2019 06:14 PM
    If you return it what phone will you use?
    08-28-2019 06:27 PM
    So besides not being able to hear specific app notifications I've been experiencing another problem, this one a bit more annoying. When I am texting someone in the middle of typing I notice the word suggestion bar clears and the typing spacer shoots to the front of the text I am typing. I always double check what I typed and reread it for typos and make sure the recipient is correct. That's when I first noticed the second half of my text was before the first half. Then I watched the screen more closely and that's when I noticed what I posted.

I am using the default keyboard with autocorrect. I decided to do a hard reset with all these little nuisances to no avail. This doesn't happen every time but about a quarter of the time. I have tried re-typing messages this happened in and it didn't happen again. It's seems random.
    I would suggest another keyboard , maybe Gboard or swiftkey?
    rsmin, DARK Vader777 and loonie01 like this.
    08-28-2019 06:29 PM

Do you use swipe typing at all? If not, maybe try disabling it or at least change the touch and hold spacebar function in the settings to see if that has anything to do with it. I haven't tried it on the Samsung keyboard, but GBoard has a similar feature where you can move the cursor by sliding left or right on the spacebar.
    08-28-2019 06:36 PM
    Try another keyboard. That is whats nice about Android, you can make it how you like it and make it work for you. That is no reason to get rid of the phone.
    08-28-2019 06:37 PM
    If something as basic as the default keyboard isn't working right I'd be concerned that there are other problems too. Personally I'd exchange it instead of keeping something I know doesn't work properly
    08-28-2019 07:05 PM
    From history (for me), often after spending a fortune on something, gadgets in particular, I get buyers remorse. Then, every little thing gets on my nervous, then I return the item, and a week or so later, I regret it.

Anyway, all that to say, I would suggest resetting the device to factory, and setting up as ‘new’, versus a restore of a backup.

Once done, use it for a day or two, and see how it does.
    If still awful, return it.

All above is merely my experience and opinion...
    08-28-2019 07:12 PM
    Once I get my s8+ fixed I would go back to that trasher. In the past I have tried other keyboards but all fell flat and were not very intuitive. I will try a couple and see how I get on with them. I really just want this phone to work as should be expected of a $1000 phone, right now it's feeling like a $200 phone.

I'm letting an issue with my carrier get to me a bit but I still feel a $1k phone shouldn't have these issues, it's not like Samsung never made a phone before.
    Tarah Sorber likes this.
    08-28-2019 07:12 PM
    From history (for me), often after spending a fortune on something, gadgets in particular, I get buyers remorse. Then, every little thing gets on my nervous, then I return the item, and a week or so later, I regret it.

Anyway, all that to say, I would suggest resetting the device to factory, and setting up as ‘new’, versus a restore of a backup.

Once done, use it for a day or two, and see how it does.
    If still awful, return it.

All above is merely my experience and opinion...
    I already did a hard reset, still waiting on a couple of things to see if it worked.
    08-28-2019 07:14 PM
    I already did a hard reset, still waiting on a couple of things to see if it worked.
    A lot great advice from others. Hope all works out for you.
    gendo667 likes this.
    08-28-2019 08:03 PM
    Keep us posted on your situation, OP!
    mustang7757 and gendo667 like this.
    08-28-2019 08:33 PM
    Agreed!!
    Gboard has been my go to keyboard since the S7 days.
    Always on point!
    08-28-2019 08:53 PM
    Agreed!!
    Gboard has been my go to keyboard since the S7 days.
    Always on point!
    Yeah it always works for me
    gendo667 likes this.
    08-28-2019 08:55 PM

I've had the same issue with my keyboard, I'm using stock messaging with Gboard.
    08-28-2019 09:02 PM
    When I am texting someone in the middle of typing I notice the word suggestion bar clears and the typing spacer shoots to the front of the text I am typing.
    I use the default keyboard and haven't seen any such problem; it works the same on my N10+ as it did on my N9. It doesn't sound like a keyboard problem. I think maybe you're holding the phone in such a way that it thinks you're tapping at the beginning of the text, moving the cursor there (or possibly the phone's touch screen has a defect making it think you're doing that). I'd suggest putting the phone flat on your desk while typing, and see if the problem still occurs that way (just to help diagnose the problem).
    iSilas and bhatech like this.
    08-28-2019 09:03 PM

As far as notifications go do the same fix people have been using for the Gmail app. Go to Settings - Search for Optimize Battery Usage sort to All and turn off whatever apps you are having notification issues with.
    08-28-2019 09:49 PM
    not sure if you restored from another phone or not. when I did I had notification issues. I since started fresh with no back up and my issues have cleared up. good luck
    08-28-2019 11:13 PM
    I remember downloading the Samsung Beta keyboard on my Note 9 after experiencing problems with the stock Samsung Keyboard, however I cannot seem to locate that now?
    08-28-2019 11:46 PM
    Yeah the default Samsung keyboard sucks imo. I use GBoard, it has more features and it works way more perfectly!
    08-29-2019 01:12 AM
    If you feel like doing it then do it.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    08-29-2019 02:46 AM
    One of the first apps I add whenever I get a new phone or factory reset is Swiftkey and never use the Samsung Keyboard.
    smooches680 likes this.
    08-29-2019 07:37 AM

Why aren't you using gboard? Highly recommend it.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    08-29-2019 09:06 AM
    I agree that the stock keyboard sucks. I've had issues since the S7e. However with Note phones I use the S Pen swipe instead of type. It works way better for me.
    08-29-2019 10:24 AM
    As others have mentioned Gboard and Swiftkey are great alternatives. Try one of those first before making a final decision. If they still aren't to your liking then you definitelyshould return it. No sense in trying to force yourself to keep it if it's not doing what you want.
    jay887 likes this.
    08-29-2019 07:00 PM
    I decided on Gboard, so far so good. Several of the apps I decided to uninstall and reinstall. They are still not using their own sounds for notifications. Now I'm getting random notification sound for nothing. The phone makes the sound, I look at my phone and there is no notification of any kind. And since the notification sound is the same across the board I don't know if it's I lost connection (I believe where I work is made out of lead) or some other random thing tripped the sound.

I think I'm being a little nit-picky right now. Been frustrated with a lot of stuff and every little thing that happens just gets me angrier. I think I need to leave the phone alone for a day or two and use it as is and look at it with a fresh view.

Thanks all for the suggestions, it's greatly appreciated.
    08-29-2019 07:54 PM
33 12